LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
One reason he hasn't played is that TJE and Dobbs are both playing well. They know the defense and they are both 100% healthy.

The second reason is that Carradine is learning a new position, a new defense, and acclimating to the NFL. On top of that, he's coming off a knee injury. He's got a lot to learn. We want him to be the next Justin Smith.... so we have a lot riding on his success. He won't be thrown in until he's ready.

I for one think that Carradine was possibly our best draft pick. He has exactly the kind of talent and athleticism that we need to create a new Justin Smith/Ray MacDonald type of player. Both Smith and MacDonald were college DEs that had to develop physically in order to be great all-around 3-4 DEs. Carradine will get there, but it will take time.

I do not expect much of an impact from him this year. He will get good practice reps. Maybe even game reps. But don't expect much from him until next year.
What have you EVER seen from Fangio to lead you to believe a rookie who missed all TC and practice so far would be placed in at a position that has a ton of responsibility? Hell if he had his way he would never sub out anyone on defense as we saw last year. Dial plays a different position and played it during times where his responsibilities and reads were at a minimum.

Carradine will be fine, stop with all this conspiracy BS.
Nothing but guessing.

NOT a wasted pick.

When he gets in he'll make big contributions.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Yeah because our Defense was the issue the last two weeks.
Originally posted by MarkD:
He wasn't active so he was in pads etc. He is still learning the system and that takes time.

I think you mean wasn't in pads and yep can't put a guy in who is inactive. And yeah guys who are inactive are in street clothes.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I gave the analogy that I have a Ferrari in the driveway and a pinto and I'm going to sell my Ferrari to upgrade to a Lamborghini but keep the pinto. If anyone didn't get that our defense is fine the offense has been the problem this season. Let's worry about upgrading the pinto before getting rid of a Ferrari for a Lamborghini. I mean sure the defense can always improve but can't be too hard on them when they have done their job well and the offense has been putrid at times. Even the Seattle and Indy game they kept the offense in it until the 4th even though the offense did nothing and look how many times they set the offense up for an easy td and they couldn't do it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM ]
Fans eventually need to understand that not all rookies can, will or NEED TO contribute. Some can come in and light it up from day one, others take a little longer to develop and still some will sit because they're buried behind guys that right now, are just better than them. It's pretty clear to me that the coaching staff would consider ANY contribution from guys like Tank, Lattimore or even Dial as found money, since they neither planned on their contributions this year nor have they needed them. Those three picks in particular were not about this year, it was always about next year and into the future.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by MarkD:
He wasn't active so he was in pads etc. He is still learning the system and that takes time.

I think you mean wasn't in pads and yep can't put a guy in who is inactive. And yeah guys who are inactive are in street clothes.

I gave the analogy that I have a Ferrari in the driveway and a pinto and I'm going to sell my Ferrari to upgrade to a Lamborghini but keep the pinto. If anyone didn't get that our defense is fine the offense has been the problem this season. Let's worry about upgrading the pinto before getting rid of a Ferrari for a Lamborghini. I mean sure the defense can always improve but can't be too hard on them when they have done their job well and the offense has been putrid at times.

Plus, it's clear that Tank just isn't ready as a pro football player. He missed all of the OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and half the season, but he's somehow expected to contribute right now? The only thing not right about the Tank situation is some fan's expectations.
It's fine. I dont want fangio to force in a rookie unless he is ready or there is no choice. He will get his time to shine.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Waste of a pick, Hope i'm wrong. He's a pass rushing 6'4 275lb DE and theyre trying to make him a runstopping 3/4 DE. Its not his style. His style is a Pass Rusher using his athletic ability. If they mis use him, it wont work. They need to atleast unleash him on some passing downs.

Way too early to come to this conclusion. He was bigger than Justin Smith coming out of college, about same as RayMac. He's strong as hell, with amazing quickness and moves. Best chance to replace Justin in a long time.

This
Plus, it's clear that Tank just isn't ready as a pro football player. He missed all of the OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and half the season, but he's somehow expected to contribute right now? The only thing not right about the Tank situation is some fan's expectations.

Agreed, he hasn't played a game in around a year and like I said earlier I think some were expecting too much. They also haven't had any practices, otas, etc either minus the few weeks they have gotten after being activated. I said that all offseason and in the heat of the game against the Saints I thought why isn't Carradine at least active he could be doing as well as TJE and especially Dobbs. Except we have to consider that those guys have been with us 2 and 3 years and they should know most or all of the stunts, calls, etc. Carradine probably doesn't and you need your DL on the same page. Dial has only got in on mop up duty when we had already won the game so it didn't matter. These guys can study all they want I would assume we want them getting enough practice reps before we throw them in the fire. Every coach's strategy is different some throw them out there before they are ready and say go learn by doing well some times that works some times it kills their confidence and their career is toast before it gets started. I'm sure some would say Carradine should have started over TJE and Dobbs but hard enough in mop up duty with how long they have been off with only a few weeks of practice after missing all offseason. Plus they have to get into game shape and only way to do that is by practice and eventually getting playing time in a game and then playing more and more. I will agree that they probably didn't expect much at all from Carradine, Lattimore and DIal this year and again they were future picks. I know some would prefer guys who could have helped us off the bat but these guys (especially the 1st 2) have home run potential.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM ]

yeah his name is tony jerod-eddie, guy is playing too well to even think about taking him off the field.
This is a meritocracy
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
it's cause TJE is playing well. showed some good speed last night.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Two words ...VIC FANGIO

Vic isnt going to let him play until he is damn good and ready .....if we were in dire need of D-Line help, Tank would be in there ...but he needs to put in the work before he hits the field

this
His injury was more serious than Dial. It takes longer to recover. He can contribute. He's a good athlete. Now as some others said moving him to an unnatural position may not work. I've never been a fan of changing positions of guys. That often fails. More often than not. Putting weight on, taking weight off, moving positions is mostly a bad idea. It's best to let a guy be what he naturally is IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone