LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
wasnt he originally predicted to be a high first rounder?
This is a really good writeup on Carradine; the author of this article speaks glowingly of him:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-cornellius-tank-carradine-florida-state-223659874--nfl.html

His article ends with this line:
NFL Comparison: Aldon Smith, San Francisco 49ers (if healthy).

So we now have two Aldons. Just kidding. But a lot of people were really high on him coming into the draft.

you mean just 1. We currently have 0

so cunningham gets cut, does that mean kyle williams is inactive on gamedays?

Or do they not dress one of the backup d-linemen since we have one coming in.
I can't help but get a kind of excited with all these guys coming back from injury to bolster our roster! I know they won't hit the ground running but hopefully by the end of the regular season their impact will be felt. GO NINERS!!!
For quite a while Werner was being talked about as a sure fire top 5 pick. A lot of mocks had him #2 to Jacksonville. Carradine didn't even start until Brandon Jenkins got hurt.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Oct 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by thl408:

That what I thought. Does anyone know if Tank would have been ranked higher than Werner had Tank been healthy?

Uhhhhh...that would be a resounding yes.

Tank was a top 15 prospect before the injury. Werner was propped up because of it. I said throughout the draft process that Werner would be the bust of the first round. He simply did not show that he was a prime time edge guy in college. Solid, yes. Prime time, no.

Just my take....Tank didn't stand out to me as a quick-twitch guy at FSU like the DE he replaced (Brandon Jenkins); much more of a Ray McDonald/Justin Smith-type (inside presence) than an Aldon Smith-type (edge rusher) and that was before the injury. Still think his presence will be huge down the stretch and in the years to come, but definitely more so as a force inside (IMO).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Just my take....Tank didn't stand out to me as a quick-twitch guy at FSU like the DE he replaced (Brandon Jenkins); much more of a Ray McDonald/Justin Smith-type (inside presence) than an Aldon Smith-type (edge rusher) and that was before the injury. Still think his presence will be huge down the stretch and in the years to come, but definitely more so as an inside presence (IMO).

Agree and I really like the Ray McDonald/Justin Smith comparison. Both those guys were Tank's size in college, and they all played DE in a 4-3. Very similar builds, and skill sets. With a little seasoning, I think Tank can be a monster 3-4 DE.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by susweel:
what number is he

95, was 91 in college but of course thats McDonald.

verb, keep in mind he hasn't had any practices (until today) or played in any games so might be too much to expect him to be the #3 DE right off the bat. Could take him some time but you never know he could be off the bat. Won't take much to beat out Dobbs or TJE.

He's been practicing for 2 weeks.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The place he is picked doesn't have bearing about what they think of him now. Just like they saw somthing in Jenkins and James, but they were inactive for a long time. They got called up only due to injuries.

So i was wondering if Tank's activation is due to our injuries ala Jenkins or is he showing something ala Reid. Maybe both.

stop i don't get how everyone is so pessimistic around here he was healthy for a while but in niner fashion we made sure he was FULLY fine and not rush him back before his time. look at the other players with injuries, kyle williams though has played bad, it isn't because of his lack of health.
hunter has been even more explosive than he was before the injury. so its safe to assume that if they clear him its because he's in peak physical condition, and not just above the minimum to play.

he's playing because he's ready to contribute and we have a need which doesn't mean he sucks, it just means that we have a need, and a player that could be special already there to fill it.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
The place he is picked doesn't have bearing about what they think of him now. Just like they saw somthing in Jenkins and James, but they were inactive for a long time. They got called up only due to injuries.

So i was wondering if Tank's activation is due to our injuries ala Jenkins or is he showing something ala Reid. Maybe both.

stop i don't get how everyone is so pessimistic around here he was healthy for a while but in niner fashion we made sure he was FULLY fine and not rush him back before his time. look at the other players with injuries, kyle williams though has played bad, it isn't because of his lack of health.
hunter has been even more explosive than he was before the injury. so its safe to assume that if they clear him its because he's in peak physical condition, and not just above the minimum to play.

he's playing because he's ready to contribute and we have a need which doesn't mean he sucks, it just means that we have a need, and a player that could be special already there to fill it.

I'm optimistic and was just asking a question to posters who have more knowledge on the subject. I haven't been on tank watch like some others have. I actually think he will be solid for depth this year and hopefully will come out on fire like Reid did. I'm sure we are all hopeful of that.

So your opinion is that he's ready to contribute and is fully healthy and not just a roster move based on injury. That's the answer i was looking for.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM ]
I'm optimistic and was just asking a question to posters who have more knowledge on the subject. I haven't been on tank watch like some others have. I actually think he will be solid for depth this year and hopefully will come out on fire like Reid did. I'm sure we are all hopeful of that.

So your opinion is that he's ready to contribute and is fully healthy and not just a roster move based on injury. That's the answer i was looking for.

Contribute yes, just how much i do not know, but the timing is perfect he's been practicing, now he practices today and tomorrow and a full week of prep for next week... and we get to use him. i have a feeling he's going to make an immediate impact in a very positive spectacular way

as far as health goes, i trust the niners completely. they are not putting a player out there unless he is at his peak performance coming off of a major injury.

tank ran a 4.7 a few months after tearing the acl he felt he was ready for training camp and they still held him out for camp, preseason and first 8 games of the season giving him more than enough time to be strong.

we'll see
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Secret weapon Tank activated!!! Yesssahh!!!!

FYE,

And drumroll please...

Originally posted by btthepunk:
He's been practicing for 2 weeks.

You're right. He joined practice back when Dial came back on the 14th it says. My bad on that but still guy hasn't played footbal since late Nov minus a few weeks of practice (0 games) might be a lot asking him to come in as the #3 and do well right away. Maybe he does but won't expect it off the bat.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM ]
VERY smart move to get him fully healed.

Can't wait to see him in action.
This is a really good writeup on Carradine; the author of this article speaks glowingly of him:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-cornellius-tank-carradine-florida-state-223659874--nfl.html

So we now have two Aldons. Just kidding. But a lot of people were really high on him coming into the draft.

We really have three, if you count the Lemon man. -Our defensive skill players have enormous arm length. -Our D could rise to #1 by the end of the season.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

We really have three, if you count the Lemon man. -Our defensive skill players have enormous arm length. -Our D could rise to #1 by the end of the season.
i hope Dial works out...if he does, then it will just make 99,96 and Tank that much better
Share 49ersWebzone