There are 187 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Tank has had so many opportunities, I am not holding my breath on him doing anything this year. Would not be shocked in the least if he was beat out by a rookie. Since his college playing days he still struggled against the run and got flat out dominated at times. Was one of the most overrated prospects in his draft class.
What is the main aspect about Tank that makes him an ineffective pass rusher? Bad hands, no bend, limited moves, no power? I'm willing to give him one more season as he gets accustomed to his old new old weight. This team really needs one of ALynch, Harold, Tank to be serviceable. At least as a depth edge rusher.

Good questions and didn't they make him add weight after a knee injury?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Tank has had so many opportunities, I am not holding my breath on him doing anything this year. Would not be shocked in the least if he was beat out by a rookie. Since his college playing days he still struggled against the run and got flat out dominated at times. Was one of the most overrated prospects in his draft class.
What is the main aspect about Tank that makes him an ineffective pass rusher? Bad hands, no bend, limited moves, no power? I'm willing to give him one more season as he gets accustomed to his old new old weight. This team really needs one of ALynch, Harold, Tank to be serviceable. At least as a depth edge rusher.

Yup. I wonder if Tank feels resentment at the coaching staffs that jerked him around with weight and positions, possibly ruining his potential. While going from a college 4-3DE to a two gapping 3-4DE isn't unheard of. Going from a near 300 pound two gapping 3-4DE to having to cover RBs in the Flats as a 3-4OLB is stupid.

Yup. I wonder if Tank feels resentment at the coaching staffs that jerked him around with weight and positions, possibly ruining his potential. While going from a college 4-3DE to a two gapping 3-4DE isn't unheard of. Going from a near 300 pound two gapping 3-4DE to having to cover RBs in the Flats as a 3-4OLB is stupid.

He just might.

At least those coaches are gone so he has a fresh chance.

Great point, Thl, but consider the source...HCs and GM. Fortunately all adios now. Just not quite soon enough.
269 pages for this clown? Wow, time to trade him
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Great point, Thl, but consider the source...HCs and GM. Fortunately all adios now. Just not quite soon enough.

As an aside, I never was in favor of baalke's , or anybody else's , making a 250 pounder into a 275 pounder, when the guy at 250 was all rock solid muscle. Anatomically, physically, it makes no sense, and Tank was just ONE of those. IF you want a 275 pounder, fully developed, then draft him. But don't take a guy with a chicken neck or a stick, 6'8", and weighing 200 pounds , and try and make him into a tall 260 pounder. That is just stupid, and flies in the face of anything logical.

Now if you have a fatty at 375, can't move, and needs to shed 50 quick pounds, that is different. But aside from that, draft what you think is ideal and leave it at that. 10 pounds one way or the other is one thing. Remaking a guy like Tank was just plumb, sheer stupidity. It is of a piece of drafting an all ACL team, of which baalke also excelled. What i don't understand is , why didn't we catch onto that guy earlier on? I guess, because at the time, everyone was worried what Junior was going to do next. Or paraag. Oh, man, sorry i brot it up, but that sure was a lot of bad we left in the rear view mirror. No more looking back. Love the twosome driving the truck now.
I really don't think the move Baalke made to try and get Tank to play 3-4 DE was flat out dumb... coaches and GMs have had visions and have moved around guys all the time. He thought Tank could get to Justin Smith type of level before his second contract was up. We whiffed on the pick, at the time we were stacked and understood the move. Not trying to open up a can of worms.

Anyhoot, it's been 3.5 years since Tanks ACL. He should be 1000% healthy, and motivated to be the best he can be in this very scheme. We discussed what would be a successful season, someone said 6 sacks and I agree. Get six sacks and pressure and he could get himself in a nice situation as a FA next year. I'm giving Tank a 40% chance to make the team, and if he does about a 20% chance he gets 6 sacks.

This. That was never going to work.
Looks like an E to me. We pushed him up to 295-300 pounds. Get him under around 260 and let him get back to speed rushing again. This is his best chance to play his true, natural position.

STRENGTHS Carradine flashes explosion off the snap to challenge the lateral agility of right tackles, and can swipe them away with strong hands to slingshot into the pocket. He also plays with the leverage of a shorter player, brings a strong initial punch to bull lesser tackles off the ball, and simply shoves tight ends away like ragdolls in the run game. There's certainly no issue with his motor, as he will hustle to the sideline if the play can be made.

WEAKNESSES Though Carradine shows most all of the physical attributes teams covet in a defensive end, his lack of experience is a negative. And if he isn't on the field for any extended period of time in 2012, it might be tough for scouts to give him a starter's grade because they don?t know what his level of stamina against better competition.

NFL COMPARISON Justin Tuck

BOTTOM LINE On most other defenses, Carradine would have started as a first-year junior college transfer, but Bjoern Werner and Brandon Jenkins limited his snaps in 2011. Still, he flashed real athleticism and strength and was able to take the starting right defensive end spot by the horns when Jenkins was sidelined for the season. Carradine appeared to be headed for a first-round selection, but a torn ACL will limit his work prior to April's draft. The talent is certainly there, however.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 26, 2017 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by English:
One of the biggest disappointments not named Reggie McGrew.

Reported.

?

Who's a bigger bust: Tank or Balmer?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

Balmer is the Rolls Royce of 49er busts.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Reggie McGrew is right there with him
Originally posted by crabman82:

Rashaun Woods as well, but A.J. Jenkins takes the cake for me. That dude didn't register a single catch for us. NOT ONE CATCH.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Rashaun Woods as well, but A.J. Jenkins takes the cake for me. That dude didn't register a single catch for us. NOT ONE CATCH.

Tough to top ajj. Even drunk threw a TD , and stokes caught some.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Mar 26, 2017 at 5:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone