LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Time to see the first member of the ACL team pay big dividends.

Agree. We can't live in the land of maybe forever.

Though it is conducive to hundreds of pages zone postings.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Even if the lineup is Dial, Williams, Dorsey (especially for run downs) I hope we do a lot of rotating because Dockett, Carradine and probably Armstead are all worthy of starting as well. Keep the guys rotating, especially late in the game. That's a deep DL even with Smith gone. As for Carradine he is down to this year and next year to prove himself before he is a FA. I guess worst comes to worst Dial plays like the high 2nd rounder and Carradine plays like the 5th rounder. Don't care as long as we get a good starter between the 2. Between one of those guys, Armstead and Williams/Dorsey (one or both extended after this/next year) we should have our 3 starters for awhile.

Yeah I think in this day and age the line between starter and backup along the DL is getting blurred a lot more. Sure you still have your studs like JJ Watt out there but for the most part having quality on the DL where you can give your big guys breathers and have fresh bodies in there allows your defense to stay strong throughout the game and avoid late game collapses because those guys wear down.

I know in the perfect world our higher picks are the starters but if Dial proves to be the better all around player then he should start but I think Tank will definitely make a strong contribution to the team and as a pass rusher. I hope both those guys cause fear in the hearts of opposing QBs and OLmen.
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
I haven't heard any news about Tank this offseason. Does anyone have an update on his progress? I've heard Dial is doing good but I was also hoping this would be a breakout year for Tank

I think not hearing anything is fine during padless practices lol...no injuries please.

I'm hoping to see a lot of rotation and I'm fine with getting him in on passing downs while he continues to learn how to stuff the run. I like the squad they have on the DL
Only thing I've read so far is him and Joe Looney getting into a fight in mini camp
And the usual "HE LOOKS AMAZING" we hear about most players around this time

Anyone know when padded practices start?
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Only thing I've read so far is him and Joe Looney getting into a fight in mini camp

Well he looked pretty good in pads starting towards games at the end of the year for Justin Smith...

The dynamic between Carradine and linebacker Aldon Smith, who presumably would be playing next to him on passing downs, would be interesting. In his brief playing time last season, Carradine showed a knack for getting after the quarterback. He had three sacks in 146 snaps vs. Justin Smith's five sacks in 694 snaps.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article21381948.html#storylink=cpy
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

Well he looked pretty good in pads starting towards games at the end of the year for Justin Smith...

The dynamic between Carradine and linebacker Aldon Smith, who presumably would be playing next to him on passing downs, would be interesting. In his brief playing time last season, Carradine showed a knack for getting after the quarterback. He had three sacks in 146 snaps vs. Justin Smith's five sacks in 694 snaps.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article21381948.html#storylink=cpy

I posted all three of his sacks earlier in the thread. One was a busted screen pass where he didn't have to beat anyone as the guard just let Tank go unblocked (not shown). One was a coverage sack where he stuck with it and eventually got the QB (below). His most impressive sack was his third sack where he showed good power and quickness to beat the guard (below vs ARI).

Originally posted by NCommand:

I posted all three of his sacks earlier in the thread. One was a busted screen pass where he didn't have to beat anyone as the guard just let Tank go unblocked (not shown). One was a coverage sack where he stuck with it and eventually got the QB (below). His most impressive sack was his third sack where he showed good power and quickness to beat the guard (below vs ARI).

Thank you thl...seems typical for how DE's in a 3-4 get "sacks"...I'm at work on VPN so gifs are usually blocked until I log off (so probably missed it). I'm actually more curious about the pressures and how he fared in the run game and disciplined assignments (holding the end, occupying blockers for Aldon, stunts, etc.). IIRC he played well and seemed to get better and better the more snaps he got but I'm not certain on that as I haven't gone back and reviewed the film.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 18, 2015 at 9:15 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I wonder if learning the playbook this year "is a MUST" under Mangini??
Originally posted by 9moon:

That was such a bogus reason.
  • thl408
Originally posted by btthepunk:

But even Tank admitted to that (from 9/25/2014).
"I'm close, you know?" he said on Wednesday. "There are some things that I get, a lot of stuff I get. Then there's some stuff I don't get. And when you compare that to somebody else who's been in the system longer, of course they're going to know more than you."
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article2611764.html

If he learns to use his quickness consistently that won't be the last time he blows by a Cardinals left guard.

"I'm close, you know?" he said on Wednesday. "There are some things that I get, a lot of stuff I get. Then there's some stuff I don't get. And when you compare that to somebody else who's been in the system longer, of course they're going to know more than you."

He probably didn't want to go against what Fangio said and risk getting buried deeper. I would've preferred playing Tank who knows 75% of the playbook than TJE who knew 110% of the playbook.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we saw a very small glimpse of Tank last year, and lets all hope that this is the year he takes over..

Granted that was before the 4th game of the season...if it was a December article ..then i might be worried.

I hope it would be a different story ...if they were to ask him again
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Ive gotten a lot more gray hairs in the time since we've drafted tank; what has he done?
Share 49ersWebzone