LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by matt49er:
Is Dockett def going to be on the left side of the DL? I can't find the article anywhere but I swear I read that the DL competition went Dockett, Dorsey, Tank on the right side with Dial and TJE competing for the left side with Arik kinda as a last guy off the bench thing I assume. I would hate that, I want to see both Williams and Dorsey man NT spot with Tank, Dockett, Dial as the main DE's with Dorsey able to slide over if necessary.

That's what I have as well:

RDE: Tank Carradine/Arik Armstead; Kaleb Ramsey & Lawrence Okoye
NT: Glenn Dorsey/Ian Williams; Mike Purcell & Garrison Smith
LDE: Quinton Dial/Darnell Dockett; Tony Jerrod-Eddie

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/180887-2015-team-needs/#cKpT1kvPmYdWbwwk.99

They'll still "cross-train" but I envision this as the starting, rotating lineups. Essentially, you'd have a ton of different combinations you can use here but I would imagine, on base running downs you'd see: Dial - Dorsey - Carradine and then on passing downs or when a pass rush is desired: Dockett - Williams - AA (to free up Aldon). Carradine can also slide inside to DT to rush from there. Lots of options!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
So it sounds like the plan as of right now (which can change in a heartbeat, obviously) is to have dial in for the base defense and Tank in for the nickle.

Something like --

3-4 base: Dial, Williams, Dorsey

Nickle: Aldon, Tank, Dockett, Lynch

If that's the way it goes I can't lie and say I'm not a bit disappointed that Tank hasn't been able to claim a bigger role, but I guess the disappointment from that pick is made up for with the surprise of Dial.

If Dial is good enough to be on base downs, that really speaks well for that pick. If Tank assumes the nickel role as a result, it can be viewed as a disappointment, but I think all will be forgiven if he ends up putting some serious heat on QBs since he would be in on passing downs. But my preference would be that Tank can get the lion's share of snaps and Dial be rotated in.

Funny thing is, of all the losses we have had, the Justin Smith one is the one that hurts me the least. And it's no disrespect to Cowboy, but I REALLY want to see these young guys play. Plus I feel we were better prepared for the loss of Smith and even Frank Gore than say the Patrick Willis one, which was truly the surprise.

With that high of a pick, shouldn't he be a three down guy?

Personally, I think all of these DL can be 3-down players (like McDonald - Dorsey - Justin under Fangio). But why? Why not utilize all the depth and talent you have and maximize their individual strengths for a collective ass-kicking?
  • Sosa
Originally posted by jreff22:
Will he understand the the D?

He better not let this hold him back. We need him this year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Is Dockett def going to be on the left side of the DL? I can't find the article anywhere but I swear I read that the DL competition went Dockett, Dorsey, Tank on the right side with Dial and TJE competing for the left side with Arik kinda as a last guy off the bench thing I assume. I would hate that, I want to see both Williams and Dorsey man NT spot with Tank, Dockett, Dial as the main DE's with Dorsey able to slide over if necessary.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/180887-2015-team-needs/#cKpT1kvPmYdWbwwk.99

They'll still "cross-train" but I envision this as the starting, rotating lineups. Essentially, you'd have a ton of different combinations you can use here but I would imagine, on base running downs you'd see: Dial - Dorsey - Carradine and then on passing downs or when a pass rush is desired: Dockett - Williams - AA (to free up Aldon). Carradine can also slide inside to DT to rush from there. Lots of options!

Of course keeping the fact that they are cross-trained in mind, from my understanding tank is primarily an RDE, and DIal is primarily a LDE. Wouldn't that mean its Tank vs. dorsey/Armstead and Dial vs. Dockett? If thats the case I expect the starters to be Tank and Dial with dockett and dorsey getting lots of time in the rotation.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Of course keeping the fact that they are cross-trained in mind, from my understanding tank is primarily an RDE, and DIal is primarily a LDE. Wouldn't that mean its Tank vs. dorsey/Armstead and Dial vs. Dockett? If thats the case I expect the starters to be Tank and Dial with dockett and dorsey getting lots of time in the rotation.

The guys in bold I just note are part of the "starting" rotation. Like how Brooks/Lynch rotate on downs. So if in a base 3, if it's a running play, yes, it would most likely be LDE Dial - NT Dorsey - RDE Tank. If they wanted a base 3 pass rush, perhaps LDE Dockett - NT Williams - Armstead (to free up Aldon). If Mangini wanted a 4-down for added pressure he might go with LDE Dial - LDT Dockett - RDT Carradine - RDE Armstead.

Pretty much endless combination to create confusion for the OL, address both pass rush and run stuffing and keep them all fresh by rotating them all in/out.
I thought I read something that was saying Dorsey is going to play RDE.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
I just wish that this coaching staff will not make up some excuses on why Tank has not earned no playing time..

know the D or not, unleashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the KRAKENNNNNN!!!!

He'll get his chance now! He was "released" at the end of the season and did very well. Since you like sacks from DE's in a 3-4 so much, here you go, my man!

The dynamic between Carradine and linebacker Aldon Smith, who presumably would be playing next to him on passing downs, would be interesting. In his brief playing time last season, Carradine showed a knack for getting after the quarterback. He had three sacks in 146 snaps vs. Justin Smith's five sacks in 694 snaps.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article21381948.html#storylink=cpy

Yes he did.. Tank sure did play very well against Seattle... but the reason also is that he was fresh.. and that's where Baalke and Fangio did not see eye to eye.. Ballke believed that Fangio coulda have used more rotation on the DL to keep the veteran fresh in the 4th QTR...

Fangio just didn't wanna have a part of it and it didn't make anysense because he did use Lynch quite a lot and often last year.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

they are crosstrained, so yeah he may compete for the spot or may just rotate. Too early to actually tell who the starters will be. Dline and cb shall be the most interesting spots in camp.

they are crosstrained, so yeah he may compete for the spot or may just rotate. Too early to actually tell who the starters will be. Dline and cb shall be the most interesting spots in camp.

we have some nice talent at both positions.
I haven't heard any news about Tank this offseason. Does anyone have an update on his progress? I've heard Dial is doing good but I was also hoping this would be a breakout year for Tank

we have some nice talent at both positions.

So true, I hope Mangini really utilizes everyone. We could just throw talented guys out in waves and wear teams down, it'll be ridiculous.
Even if the lineup is Dial, Williams, Dorsey (especially for run downs) I hope we do a lot of rotating because Dockett, Carradine and probably Armstead are all worthy of starting as well. Keep the guys rotating, especially late in the game. That's a deep DL even with Smith gone. As for Carradine he is down to this year and next year to prove himself before he is a FA. I guess worst comes to worst Dial plays like the high 2nd rounder and Carradine plays like the 5th rounder. Don't care as long as we get a good starter between the 2. Between one of those guys, Armstead and Williams/Dorsey (one or both extended after this/next year) we should have our 3 starters for awhile.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM ]
  • thl408
Time to see the first member of the ACL team pay big dividends.
Originally posted by thl408:

Tank looks solid
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by thl408:

Tank looks solid

most tanks do
Share 49ersWebzone