There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners select Tank Carradine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOC5EKHCmR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-kWnspysuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOfp9p7Tbeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXmrBwNmRgA

I watched a little film on a lot of prospects before the draft but wanted to go in depth for the guys we drafted. Did this with McDonald, hope to do it with most of the picks. Just wanted to throw my opinions out there.

-I like his quickness around the edge. Has a nice jump off the ball. Good closing speed and seems to find the QB in the pocket.

-Looking at him now I see him more of a pass rusher than a run stopper. Of course he will get better at that as he bulks up. It's to be expected when he's playing 4-3 DE there and not 3-4 DE like he will here. He did a nice job moving down the line and weeding through the traffic to make the tackle or help make the tackle. I Seem him take on double teams on occasion. Held his own at times, others moved back, didn't seem to get a push when doubled. Did decent in run stopping (especially 1 on 1) in his own area but seemed better when he was working his way down the line or chasing and had space after the RB had gotten a yard or two beyond the OL/DL. I think eventually when he gets to 290-295 he will be able to hold his own in the run and should be able to keep most of that pass rush ability and athleticism. That 15-20 will be muscle mostly, don't want much fat. Not worried as anybody who is around Justin and this group of players and staff will soon be in the best shape of their life. He will get bigger and stronger while maintaining his quickness or most of it at least.

-I liked his relentlessness when the QB was in the pocket. Got a lot of hits/tackles on the QB shortly after him releasing it. Even if the ball is gone every hit/tackle counts and wears on them. I seen a bunch of tackles downfield on hustle plays. I didn't like the effort on some but those were mostly when the ball wasn't directly in his area.

Pass rush moves... I would say his quickness around the edge is used the most. Bull rush some what. He has a nice move from outside to inside. 3-4 DE's wont use this but didn't see any spins. Saw him dip a few times, would like to see more rips and swims with his long arms but seen some. Too many times just seen him go into the guy not doing any moves, didn't do anything with his arms. So he is raw and still working on his moves but with his long arms and Tomsula they will fix that. Look at how much Aldon has improved with his arms. Also, I'd like to see him get his long arms on the defender more often. Use them to control him. Seems like a lot of the time he doesn't do that.

-I think he did a pretty good job when Florida ran some option. Did well on the pitches inside to the RB. He's got pretty good instincts and recognition in run defense.

-In the 3 games seen him drop once into space and drop once in coverage on a man. Justin drops into space once in a great while to throw off the defense. So Carradine can definitely do it now if they want him to and should still have no problem doing it when he bulks up due to his athleticism.

Summary: very athletic with long arms, very good in pursuit of rb, good effort and hustles, raw with pass rush moves, has some but will continue to develop them and also work on using his arms better (and more), played 4-3 de and was more of a pass rusher, will get better holding his own in the run (especially double teams) as he bulks up. more effective as a quick around the edge guy than a bull rusher but again that will change with him bulking up. Pretty good instincts and recognition with run and option... pitches.... does a good job getting to the qb even if it isnt for a sack... works well in the pocket... pretty good speed and can be explosive in pursuit
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM ]
Yes
I'm not sure if I am a fan of picking the other guy in a draft. The 49ers were in a similar situation when they picked manny lawson. Lawson benefited by playing next to Mario Williams.

TC benefited by playing along side Werner. Hopefully Tank becomes a special player.
Originally posted by fister30:
I'm not sure if I am a fan of picking the other guy in a draft. The 49ers were in a similar situation when they picked manny lawson. Lawson benefited by playing next to Mario Williams.

TC benefited by playing along side Werner. Hopefully Tank becomes a special player.

Or it was the other way around. When I look at Carradine, I see a guy with much better potential than Werner in every way. Had it not been for the ACL tear, Carradine would have easily gone before Werner in the draft. I see almost an Andy Dalton vs a Colin Kaepernick type of situation. Yes, Werner is more polished and ready to contribute, but his ceiling is significantly lower than Carradine's IMO. Carradine is still just scratching the surface of his overall potential.

Carradine was also much more consistent, whereas Werner would have a single 3 or 4 sack game against Bumf**k State and then disappear for 2 or 3 games at a time.

Also..

In the first few games evaluating Florida State, Carradine impressed me and then the more film I evaluated he continued to jump off the film. For a player with limited experience, I was shocked at how instinctive, smart and technically sound he is. Displaying great competitiveness on every snap, Carradine made a ton of plays through sheer effort and hustle chasing down ball carriers 10+ yards down the field. Although he was often the last defensive linemen moving at the snap, he was by far the most productive of Florida State's defensive linemen in the five games evaluated - He was involved in 1 play out of every 7.31 snaps which is a rare ratio and usually that of a Top Five Overall Pick. In the end, Carradine's play on the field no doubt warrants being picked in the Top Ten, but the health of his right knee will be the primary determining factor in where he gets drafted. If his knee checks out and NFL medical personnel feel that he will return to 100% within a season or two then he will likely be a first round pick, but if there are any medical questions he will slide into the second round. I believe that while he will likely need a season to get back to 100%, by the 2014 season he will be a starting defensive end and eventually a high end starter.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM ]
What makes Werner more polished?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or it was the other way around. When I look at Carradine, I see a guy with much better potential than Werner in every way. Had it not been for the ACL tear, Carradine would have easily gone before Werner in the draft. I see almost an Andy Dalton vs a Colin Kaepernick type of situation. Yes, Werner is more polished and ready to contribute, but his ceiling is significantly lower than Carradine's IMO. Carradine is still just scratching the surface of his overall potential.

Carradine was also much more consistent, whereas Werner would have a single 3 or 4 sack game against Bumf**k State and then disappear for 2 or 3 games at a time.

Also..

In the first few games evaluating Florida State, Carradine impressed me and then the more film I evaluated he continued to jump off the film. For a player with limited experience, I was shocked at how instinctive, smart and technically sound he is. Displaying great competitiveness on every snap, Carradine made a ton of plays through sheer effort and hustle chasing down ball carriers 10+ yards down the field. Although he was often the last defensive linemen moving at the snap, he was by far the most productive of Florida State's defensive linemen in the five games evaluated - He was involved in 1 play out of every 7.31 snaps which is a rare ratio and usually that of a Top Five Overall Pick. In the end, Carradine's play on the field no doubt warrants being picked in the Top Ten, but the health of his right knee will be the primary determining factor in where he gets drafted. If his knee checks out and NFL medical personnel feel that he will return to 100% within a season or two then he will likely be a first round pick, but if there are any medical questions he will slide into the second round. I believe that while he will likely need a season to get back to 100%, by the 2014 season he will be a starting defensive end and eventually a high end starter.

I hope he becomes a beast.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Extra year at a big school. More games played and more sacks. Probably a little easier for him to go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB, Tank is gonna have to put on 15 or 20 pounds and play 3-4 DE. Though I expect him to play all over this year.
For a while Werner was talked about as a top 5 pick. Carradine without the injury could've probably been a top 15 pick. If Brandon Jenkins never got injured though then he would have likely gone before Carradine. I think both will be great players.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
When is Tank expected to to be able to play? I know he's recovering from a serious injury. Since rookies are never accustomed to playing 16+ games, I think it may actually benefit him to come in around week 8 and give the defense a boost for the second half of the season.
Any idea on when he can start to practice?
I love this pick but wasn't Werner consistently double teamed while carradine took on a single olineman?
from they way fangio talks, it sounds like he's not banking on him making any contribution at all this year.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Agreed. Tank can play more positions and has played all his life. Werner not so much.
Originally posted by ninergold:
from they way fangio talks, it sounds like he's not banking on him making any contribution at all this year.

Everything I have seen Fangio is saying he will play like Aldon did his first year.
Just get Smith, Aldon, and Tank on the field at the same time.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just get Smith, Aldon, and Tank on the field at the same time.

fans from other teams will say Niners are cheating