LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
If Tank was capable of doing anything good for the Niners, Fangio and Tomsula would have him playing. Look at Lynch. He earned his way into the lineup by learning the defense and demonstrating he knew how to be a part of it. Tank apparently still hasn't done that. If his nickname was Marshmallow, the fans wouldn't be in such an uproar. He reminds me of THOMAS CLAYTON, a ripped RB who twice led the NFL in rushing during preseason but who could never make it to the field in a real game. The fans were raving about him and what he could do. It looks like Tank may become the Thomas Clayton of DEs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
You guys think about this too much, and it is obvious is some of the remarks here. Tank will play when his time comes. He will not play until then. No sense in pondering the reason any more than what the coaching staff has already told the media.

Agree. The 49ers spent a lot of draft capital on him, and the guys in front of him are doing very well. Ian is a stud, and Dorsey is set to be back, TJE is a very good gap perpetrating D-lineman. It's going to be tough trying to cracked that lineup. His situation is similar to Patton. Anquan, crabs, Lloyd and Stevie are in front of him. Another tough lineup to crack
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Very frustrating. The guy may have not been the greatest in run defense in the preseason and maybe he's having a hard time learning the playbook, but he DEFINITELY showed that he could get to the QB in the preseason. He was our most consistent pass rusher and looked pretty damn good to me.

We should have at least put him in on pass rushing situations when we had all these injuries. Instead we activated Dobbs and Jerod Eddie, who don't excel in anything and are forever backup players. Now Tank will never see the field with guys coming back. I really hope it's just because his knee isn't quite ready and not because he's some kind of HUGE bust. Coaches need to at least give him the chance to play in games.

Why can't we get an explanation as to why he's not playing?! I don't see how it takes two years to learn a defense..

I'm almost positive that it has to do with his knee. You never know, maybe he's still going through some apprehension. One dirty behind the play cut-block during pre-season may have got him a little funny.

I think he's hurt and they don't want to announce it on the injury report.

I don't think it would be an injury. I think there are rules on the books that says a team has to report them. Having said that. They may be just protecting him from getting injured and letting him rehab more. But that's unlikely- he was 100% in preseason and looked good. I just don't think an injury situation explains Tanks lack of playing time very well.
Originally posted by Phil:
How many draft picks have the Niners had since 2010 and at what positions in 2010/11 after not so great seasons? One of the reasons Jim chose the Niners was because the defense here and the large amount of draft picks pilled up. I think the organization, including both Trent and Jim, could have done better in the draft from 2012 onwards. I'd have done quite a few things different in the 2012/13/14 drafts. On 2014 there's no way I would have drafted Ward and would have picked a true CB in the first. WR second, oline and QB third, OLB fourth. All other picks used to move up. I'm also not sold on drafting players with devastating injuries. The whole Adrian Petterson immaculate recovery may have given some people the idea the dynamics have changed but until I see some serious production from the injured players we've drafted a giant question mark remains. And what the hell is going on with Tank? For Christ sakes they could have at least played him in the Denver game after the third quarter meltdown.

The reason for the injured drafted players is because they already have a deep roster...I'm sure they would have loved to trade picks for next year, but you have to have another team to trade. Ward can play 2 positions and thoughts were him taking over at safety in the future (finalist for the Jim Thorpe award last year). Who would you have drafted as a true CB at their position in the draft? Would a 2nd rd rookie WR even make the active roster with the WRs on this team (unless he has special team skills like Ellington). I'd rather have SJ for basically free this year.

Tank wasn't even active for the Denver game, so he couldn't even play...he will get his shot at some point (McDonald, TJE, and Dobbs won't be on the team for the long haul) and as long as the DL is playing well I don't care who is in lol.
When is this man going to see some playing time. In the words of chris carter Come On Maaan
Originally posted by Team49ers:
When is this man going to see some playing time. In the words of chris carter Come On Maaan

If it were up to him he'd be on the field.

I'm not buying the "he doesn't know the playbook nonsence.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'm sticking to my theory that when our stud D players who crush the run like Bowman, Dorsey, Aldon get back on the field the team will feel more secure playing a guy like Tank. I think it's reasonable to think that they would be nervous putting somebody in that stinks against the run with a depleted defense.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
If Tank was capable of doing anything good for the Niners, Fangio and Tomsula would have him playing. Look at Lynch. He earned his way into the lineup by learning the defense and demonstrating he knew how to be a part of it. Tank apparently still hasn't done that. If his nickname was Marshmallow, the fans wouldn't be in such an uproar. He reminds me of THOMAS CLAYTON, a ripped RB who twice led the NFL in rushing during preseason but who could never make it to the field in a real game. The fans were raving about him and what he could do. It looks like Tank may become the Thomas Clayton of DEs.

If Aldon never had a suspension, people here would already be calling Lynch a bust. He probably wouldn't be on the roster. Lemonier would have beat him out. We wouldn't have carried 5 outside linebackers if Aldon Smith was not suspended. Meaning, there would have been NO ROOM FOR LYNCH on the team right now.

If Justin Smith had the suspension instead of Aldon, we would be excited about Tank right now the same way we are excited about Lynch, and we would be saying crap about Lynch like, "He hasn't yet matured," "He's a bust," etc. Just the other side of the coin.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

If Aldon never had a suspension, people here would already be calling Lynch a bust. He probably wouldn't be on the roster. Lemonier would have beat him out. We wouldn't have carried 5 outside linebackers if Aldon Smith was not suspended. Meaning, there would have been NO ROOM FOR LYNCH on the team right now.

If Justin Smith had the suspension instead of Aldon, we would be excited about Tank right now the same way we are excited about Lynch, and we would be saying crap about Lynch like, "He hasn't yet matured," "He's a bust," etc. Just the other side of the coin.
Gotta disagree on this. I don't think anyone would be calling a 5th round pick a bust b/c he's not on the field. Most of us would expect that and have low expectations for him outta of the gate. Tank is a 2nd rounder and perceived to be good at something the team is currently struggling at. His expectations are were way higher and thus the anger from some. You would expect a 2nd rounder to be able to get on the field over injuries and push starters

And maybe they cut Moody or somebody else and keep Lynch if he was showing in camp what he shows during game days.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Gotta disagree on this. I don't think anyone would be calling a 5th round pick a bust b/c he's not on the field. Most of us would expect that and have low expectations for him outta of the gate. Tank is a 2nd rounder and perceived to be good at something the team is currently struggling at. His expectations are were way higher and thus the anger from some. You would expect a 2nd rounder to be able to get on the field over injuries and push starters

And maybe they cut Moody or somebody else and keep Lynch if he was showing in camp what he shows during game days.

Nope, because like Dobbs, and TJE, Moody plays special teams, one of the core factors keeping Tank inactive.

Whatever the case, whatever people would say etc, Lynch is lucky Aldon got suspended, it gave him a shot, Tank is not so lucky.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM ]

• 9moon
  • Veteran
will this be another CLUELESS SUNDAY for Clueless Tank??
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'm sticking to my theory that when our stud D players who crush the run like Bowman, Dorsey, Aldon get back on the field the team will feel more secure playing a guy like Tank. I think it's reasonable to think that they would be nervous putting somebody in that stinks against the run with a depleted defense.

Good point! I agree.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think the guy still hurtin..

again, I would never buy that playbook non-sense... he's only a DE!!! what's there to learn??

like i said before, Singletary once drafted a QB with dis-learning ability, and the guy learned the playbook... why can't Tank be taught to just go after the ball!!??

It took me awhile to accept this, but the truth is, if we feel we have the best defensive line coach in the game and one of the better D coordinators (I certainly do) and they say he isn't ready, then he isn't ready. There are vets, not as many, but vets nonetheless in front of Lynch and he is getting major playing time. It will decrease when Aldon Smith returns, but it's likely he's the first LB to sub in now for these next two weeks. I don't think Tank is going to become the Thomas Clayton of DEs. That's taking it too far. But we did overhype him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Well, the very least they should do is allow him to play.. Lynch took over the Lemon Man's spot, and the Lemon Man just got out-played by a rookie.. but at least, he had a chance to see the field and show what he can do..

Clueless aint even getting that chance... and we can't be possibly be saving him for the 2nd half of the season, cause that would be just straight out duhhhhhhh!!!??

Todd Kelly was a bust, but the guy got his playing time and chances..

McGrew, Balmer and Ifiyanyi got their playing time before the team realized that they messed up on drafting them..

when do we see Clueless??
Share 49ersWebzone