LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Harbs drafted kap baalke got lucky on aldon. He's a mediocre gm at best dude had so many picks and still the roster is lacking. If jed has to pick I hope he picks Jim over Trent.

By mediocre, do you mean average to below average? If so, can you name 10 to 16 GMs that have done better (from top to bottom) with their drafts from 2010 to 2014?

**On second thought, that number should be bumped up to about 20 GMs.**
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Oct 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Harbs drafted kap baalke got lucky on aldon. He's a mediocre gm at best dude had so many picks and still the roster is lacking. If jed has to pick I hope he picks Jim over Trent.

By mediocre, do you mean average to below average? If so, can you name 10 to 16 GMs that have done better (from top to bottom) with their drafts from 2010 to 2014?

Reggie McKenzie!!!...

LOL got lucky, you act like he picked a name out of a hat! Plus you don't think he had a say in the Kap pick? In 4 years he has picked 4 pro-bowlers (not counting alternates). I'll take 1 pro-bowler every year lol. Also don't forget about UDFA like Boone and Brock or trading for players like SJ and Boldin.

Here is article stating that in the past 5 years SF is the 4th ranked team among best drafted teams.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-best-teams-seattle-seahawks-san-francisco-49ers-tennessee-titans-new-england-patriots/
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Instead of playing tic tac toe with Johnson and Ventrone, I thought that the coaching staff shoulda just activated Tank and let him run and make similar plays that Ventrone did when he dressed up...

Clueless Tank woulda benefited from some playing time had Harbaugh thought of it that way.. he coulda lined up against Manning a couple of times, and learned more about our defense when Denver inserted their backup QB..

Clueless Tank woulda learned how to choose between rushing on the edge of the OT or using his power to get to the QB..

instead, they had him wear a hat, and continue to learn DO RE MI...
IDK Men, I am very concerned over this Tank dude. 40th Overall selection in a Good Draft Class and more then half way thru year 2 yet to take a snap? Or meaningless minutes played? Something is wrong, something is definetly wrong. he Looked pretty good in the preseason so why not use him now?
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
IDK Men, I am very concerned over this Tank dude. 40th Overall selection in a Good Draft Class and more then half way thru year 2 yet to take a snap? Or meaningless minutes played? Something is wrong, something is definetly wrong. he Looked pretty good in the preseason so why not use him now?

absolutely agree... Fangio once said something about the playbook and many started speculating that he cant handle it , but its not that ... I actually think that fangio said that just as an excuse not to play him.... I almost wish.... ( well thats insane, i cant wish an injury , but i almost wish someone like Dobbs gets couple of games suspension so we can see what we have in that dude...).. I agree, he played pretty good in preseason.... they must be reallly happy with that DL rotation... by the way is Dial playing??? we have to see what happens when justin, smith, tank, lynch, bow and pat are on the field at the same time... is 4 people on top of the QB considered " roughing the passer".. or all depends on the manner of which they land on top of him..
The Tank is not a loved commodity at 9ers HQ.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

How many draft picks have the Niners had since 2010 and at what positions in 2010/11 after not so great seasons? One of the reasons Jim chose the Niners was because the defense here and the large amount of draft picks pilled up. I think the organization, including both Trent and Jim, could have done better in the draft from 2012 onwards. I'd have done quite a few things different in the 2012/13/14 drafts. On 2014 there's no way I would have drafted Ward and would have picked a true CB in the first. WR second, oline and QB third, OLB fourth. All other picks used to move up. I'm also not sold on drafting players with devastating injuries. The whole Adrian Petterson immaculate recovery may have given some people the idea the dynamics have changed but until I see some serious production from the injured players we've drafted a giant question mark remains. And what the hell is going on with Tank? For Christ sakes they could have at least played him in the Denver game after the third quarter meltdown.
Originally posted by Phil:
And what the hell is going on with Tank? For Christ sakes they could have at least played him in the Denver game after the third quarter meltdown.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Tank wasn't even active for that game. I don't think they could have played him.

Because we're tying to turn a college 4-3 defensive end into a defensive tackle, and he hasn't mastered it, like Dobbs and TJE. He's used to the edge, he's not used to playing through garbage.

As far as pass rush, ah "meh," who cares? Fangio has never made pass rush a priority. It took him a while to get Aldon's ass on the field full time too. We had an epic pass rushing talent, but "'meh,' he doesn't know his full assignments yet, so let's play him part time."

Fangio demands that you do everything right, or you won't see the field, unless there is an injury, or in Lynch's case, a suspension. Now that we have another run stopper back, I don't see where Carradine has a chance to see the field. Fangio loves his run stuffers. Loves to rush three. Loves to ignore the pass rush. Sometimes it gets us burnt, like against Denver, where pass rush is an absolute necessity. But whatever, "meh," let's continue to shutdown the run, and pretend Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brees, are just another "X" on the chalkboard.

It'll probably work for us again, against the Rams, so why change it?

• Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Because we're tying to turn a college 4-3 defensive end into a defensive tackle, and he hasn't mastered it, like Dobbs and TJE. He's used to the edge, he's not used to playing through garbage.

As far as pass rush, ah "meh," who cares? Fangio has never made pass rush a priority. It took him a while to get Aldon's ass on the field full time too. We had an epic pass rushing talent, but "'meh,' he doesn't know his full assignments yet, so let's play him part time."

Fangio demands that you do everything right, or you won't see the field, unless there is an injury, or in Lynch's case, a suspension. Now that we have another run stopper back, I don't see where Carradine has a chance to see the field. Fangio loves his run stuffers. Loves to rush three. Loves to ignore the pass rush. Sometimes it gets us burnt, like against Denver, where pass rush is an absolute necessity. But whatever, "meh," let's continue to shutdown the run, and pretend Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brees, are just another "X" on the chalkboard.

It'll probably work for us again, against the Rams, so why change it?
Lol.
[ Edited by Phil on Oct 31, 2014 at 1:50 AM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by Phil:
And what the hell is going on with Tank? For Christ sakes they could have at least played him in the Denver game after the third quarter meltdown.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Tank wasn't even active for that game. I don't think they could have played him.

Even worse. He wasn't active. May as well just be pissing draft picks away.
Very frustrating. The guy may have not been the greatest in run defense in the preseason and maybe he's having a hard time learning the playbook, but he DEFINITELY showed that he could get to the QB in the preseason. He was our most consistent pass rusher and looked pretty damn good to me.

We should have at least put him in on pass rushing situations when we had all these injuries. Instead we activated Dobbs and Jerod Eddie, who don't excel in anything and are forever backup players. Now Tank will never see the field with guys coming back. I really hope it's just because his knee isn't quite ready and not because he's some kind of HUGE bust. Coaches need to at least give him the chance to play in games.

Why can't we get an explanation as to why he's not playing?! I don't see how it takes two years to learn a defense..
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Very frustrating. The guy may have not been the greatest in run defense in the preseason and maybe he's having a hard time learning the playbook, but he DEFINITELY showed that he could get to the QB in the preseason. He was our most consistent pass rusher and looked pretty damn good to me.

We should have at least put him in on pass rushing situations when we had all these injuries. Instead we activated Dobbs and Jerod Eddie, who don't excel in anything and are forever backup players. Now Tank will never see the field with guys coming back. I really hope it's just because his knee isn't quite ready and not because he's some kind of HUGE bust. Coaches need to at least give him the chance to play in games.

Why can't we get an explanation as to why he's not playing?! I don't see how it takes two years to learn a defense..

I'm almost positive that it has to do with his knee. You never know, maybe he's still going through some apprehension. One dirty behind the play cut-block during pre-season may have got him a little funny.

I think he's hurt and they don't want to announce it on the injury report.
You guys think about this too much, and it is obvious is some of the remarks here. Tank will play when his time comes. He will not play until then. No sense in pondering the reason any more than what the coaching staff has already told the media.
Share 49ersWebzone