LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
He's not being activated because he's not as good as his nickname which seems to excite fans. Anyone that believes he is sitting for any reason other than he can't compete with those ahead of him are clueless. Great nickname but apparently not much between the ears...
Tank did flash in the preseason. It is obvious that he can get into the backfield. The problem I saw was that there were times he was moved off the ball in the run game and teams might exploit that. We give him another year of seasoning I guess and see what we have. Tank is not a bust yet. We have good guys in front of him and he will have his chance. We have to be patient
Originally posted by bigwads:
Rediculious take. He isn't learning a "completely new set of responsibilities," he has been at practice for a year and s half.

Tank not earning a spot is greatly disturbing and it's turning out to be another high draft pick busy for Baalke.

I am getting tired of this Baalke Busts crap.

Firstly, how many NFL GMs hit with every high pick? You work it out.

Secondly, how many has Baalke whiffed on? AJ Jenkins. LMJ.

He took over responsibility for the draft in 2010 and took Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, whiffed on Taylor Mays and struck gold with Navorro Bowman.

2011 he took Aldon Smith, Kaep, Culliver, Hunter and Kilgore and pulled in a late one with Bruce Miller.

2012 was bad with Jenkins and LMJ, although Looney looks like a good pick.

From 2013 it is a little early to say, but Reid has been a success and McDonald is a work in progress. Lattimore and Patton remain as serious possibilities and Tank is simply unknown.

From 2014, it is very early but Ward and Hyde are very interesting, Martin and Thomas are promising and Martin at least should get his first chance very soon. There are some other prospects in this draft as well, but most of all, of course, Lynch has quite rightly caught people's attention.

So it puzzles me, then, when someone on a 49er Supporters site, talks about another high draft pick bust for Baalke. How many GMs have a better record than him? And, apart from Jenkins, LMJ and Mays, who are these high draft pick busts you refer to?
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

He took over responsibility for the draft in 2010 and took Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, whiffed on Taylor Mays and struck gold with Navorro Bowman.

2011 he took Aldon Smith, Kaep, Culliver, Hunter and Kilgore and pulled in a late one with Bruce Miller.

From 2013 it is a little early to say, but Reid has been a success and McDonald is a work in progress. Lattimore and Patton remain as serious possibilities and Tank is simply unknown.

From 2014, it is very early but Ward and Hyde are very interesting, Martin and Thomas are promising and Martin at least should get his first chance very soon. There are some other prospects in this draft as well, but most of all, of course, Lynch has quite rightly caught people's attention.

So it puzzles me, then, when someone on a 49er Supporters site, talks about another high draft pick bust for Baalke. How many GMs have a better record than him? And, apart from Jenkins, LMJ and Mays, who are these high draft pick busts you refer to?
to be fair taylor mays was a singletary pick, he thought he could teach him football instincts

I think some might say that yes he did ok in 2010 and pretty good in 2011 but all that is left of 2012 is Looney and who ever we got for the Carmeron Johnson traded pick. 2013 is still early but so far the only return that matches the pick on that year is Ried. The rest of 2013 is really cloudy and a couple of them are on the bubble when some healthy bodies start returning. You could argue that we are getting more out of 2014 than 2010 and 2013 combined. I don't have a problem with Baalke if his only real bust year turns out to be 2012. He has done a good job of retaining good players and finding undrafted gems along with what many would call 2nd tier free agents that really preform when they get here.
[ Edited by leakyfausett on Oct 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]

This x 100000 ......
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

I think some might say that yes he did ok in 2010 and pretty good in 2011 but all that is left of 2012 is Looney and who ever we got for the Carmeron Johnson traded pick. 2013 is still early but so far the only return that matches the pick on that year is Ried. The rest of 2013 is really cloudy and a couple of them are on the bubble when some healthy bodies start returning. You could argue that we are getting more out of 2014 than 2010 and 2013 combined. I don't have a problem with Baalke if his only real bust year turns out to be 2010. He has done a good job of retaining good players and finding undrafted gems along with what many would call 2nd tier free agents that really preform when they get here.
don't u mean 2012? 2010 was a great draft.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

I think some might say that yes he did ok in 2010 and pretty good in 2011 but all that is left of 2012 is Looney and who ever we got for the Carmeron Johnson traded pick. 2013 is still early but so far the only return that matches the pick on that year is Ried. The rest of 2013 is really cloudy and a couple of them are on the bubble when some healthy bodies start returning. You could argue that we are getting more out of 2014 than 2010 and 2013 combined. I don't have a problem with Baalke if his only real bust year turns out to be 2010. He has done a good job of retaining good players and finding undrafted gems along with what many would call 2nd tier free agents that really preform when they get here.
don't u mean 2012? 2010 was a great draft.
Yes sorry 2012. Not much left there but other wise pretty good over the long haul as long as 2013 and 14 work out well.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Somehow he is healthy enough to play against first and second string players in the preseason, and he was able to understand the playbook well enough to not cause any cataclysmic events on defense. Yet somehow everything has changed in the regular season.

Maybe their is a different playbook for the regular season and the preseason; but I call b******t.

What do you think is going on with Carradine and why he is not being activated?

I think the coaches do not value the pass rush as much as they should.

They don't see him fit on special teams, they don't see him fit in the running game. They add 1 + 1 = 2. They see him as having ability as a pass rusher, but they only value this as a score of "1." They see Dobbs and TJE each with a score of "2," because of what they do on special teams and against the run.
They are old-school football guys, and they simply don't value the pass rush as much as the modern game demands.

I think the ability to pass rush, is more important then both those other considerations combined. We have seen what a lack of pass rush has done to us this season.

They don't see him fit on special teams, they don't see him fit in the running game. They add 1 + 1 = 2. They see him as having ability as a pass rusher, but they only value this as a score of "1." They see Dobbs and TJE each with a score of "2," because of what they do on special teams and against the run.
They are old-school football guys, and they simply don't value the pass rush as much as the modern game demands.

I think the ability to pass rush, is more important then both those other considerations combined. We have seen what a lack of pass rush has done to us this season.

Agreed, we have 7 guys on that DL that can stop the run but besides Smith who can create a pass rush? Put him in there I dont care if it causes a big run once in awhile we need a pass rush. So far the lack of pass rush and our pass blocking has been our downfall this season.

Originally posted by Gore_21:

Agreed, we have 7 guys on that DL that can stop the run but besides Smith who can create a pass rush? Put him in there I dont care if it causes a big run once in awhile we need a pass rush. So far the lack of pass rush and our pass blocking has been our downfall this season.

The lack of pass rush is why the Niners defense is so poor in the red zone. Just too much time for he qb to find guys open.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

This x 100000 ......

Baalke brought us Harbaugh, Kap, and Aldon and that is good enough for me.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

This x 100000 ......

Baalke brought us Harbaugh, Kap, and Aldon and that is good enough for me.

ABSOLUTELY!

In Trent I Trust
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Harbs drafted kap baalke got lucky on aldon. He's a mediocre gm at best dude had so many picks and still the roster is lacking. If jed has to pick I hope he picks Jim over Trent.
[ Edited by susweel on Oct 29, 2014 at 4:28 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Harbs drafted kap baalke got lucky on aldon. He's a mediocre gm at best dude had so many picks and still the roster is lacking. If jed has to pick I hope he picks Jim over Trent.

Stop enabling the trolls for your own amusement
Share 49ersWebzone