There are 213 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Getting an extra second round pick is a big deal.

I would not give up a 2nd round pick for a player with what seems to be a penchant for drinking cough medicine to get his codeine.

What? Like you don't like to get down with a little purple drank every now and then???
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What? Like you don't like to get down with a little purple drank every now and then???

Ok. but not the same. my job does not do drug tests.
Originally posted by buck:
Ok. but not the same. my job does not do drug tests.

If I'm a 49er GM, trading Crabtree is the furthest thing from my mind right now.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I wouldnt give up a 2nd for Gordon, there has to be other options out there, a 2nd rounder is pretty steep

It's not that steep for a team that gave up a 1st for A.J. Jenkins and is starting a 34 year old at one WR spot and...well...nobody really at the other starting receiver spot.

Heck, TBH I don't think it's even steep in the first place. If he wasn't a headcase he'd be worth a first rounder easy. He's had some of the worst QB play in the NFL and he still looks all world.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I wouldnt give up a 2nd for Gordon, there has to be other options out there, a 2nd rounder is pretty steep

It's not that steep for a team that gave up a 1st for A.J. Jenkins and is starting a 34 year old at one WR spot and...well...nobody really at the other starting receiver spot.

Heck, TBH I don't think it's even steep in the first place. If he wasn't a headcase he'd be worth a first rounder easy. He's had some of the worst QB play in the NFL and he still looks all world.

its not steep, id give up a first for him, he is cheap and still under contract for 2 more seasons, and a legit playmaker.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

its not steep, id give up a first for him, he is cheap and still under contract for 2 more seasons, and a legit playmaker.

He is not a headcase. I dont know why everyone makes him out to be a criminal. He looks like an altar boy compared to Aldon. He has a problem with codeine, but he is not a criminal.

If it wasnt for him only having one strike left, he would not be on the trading block period.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Like i said, i would like to resign Boldin, but im basing my opinion on our recent history of bringing in veteran WR's as one year rentals.

But no, i would not take Boldin over Gordon, and i am one of his biggest fans. Have been a fan of his since he was a member of the cardinals.

I have never stated Baalkie would be swayed by my opinion, that would be ridiculous, but it wont stop me from voicing my opinion on the matter.

Gordon should be worth a late 1st to the 49ers right now IMO.

I also don't think that trading for Gordon precludes you from signing Boldin for another year or two seeing as how Gordon will be on a low salary for 2 more seasons after this one. They let Manningham and Williams walk and next season the WR corps looks like the following:

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Boldin
4-Patton
5-Baldwin

That's a pretty damn good group of receivers.

That looks sexy
Why is this even a debate?! As much as I see people complaining about our current state of WR (mainly Kyle Williams) and our inability to draft WR's everyone should be pressed for us to trade for Gordon. We wasted a 1st on AJJ, a 2nd on James, and we are still a Super Bowl contender... why? Because we will always stock pile picks, and draft strongly in later rounds. If we can ship James and a 2nd away for Gordon, I would do it in a heart beat. The whole "one strike" thing is exaggerated, if that's the case we should just go ahead and trade Aldon because he could be "one strike" away.
I'm not well versed on NFL rules - does anyone know if there is a duration of time that passes where the one more strike and you get a full year suspension ceases? Like if Gordon kept clean for 2-3 years would that be sufficient to clean the slate or at least get the potential full year suspension reduced to a matter of games?

Originally posted by ltrain:
I'm not well versed on NFL rules - does anyone know if there is a duration of time that passes where the one more strike and you get a full year suspension ceases? Like if Gordon kept clean for 2-3 years would that be sufficient to clean the slate or at least get the potential full year suspension reduced to a matter of games?

That's a great question, I don't know either, hopefully someone can answer that because I'd like to know as well. I hope it would go away at some point rather than hanging over you like the Sword of Damocles for the rest of your career.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM ]
So just for a moment, lets pretend you are the GM of the 49ers.

You have a team that will compete for, and possibly win, the Superbowl. For the next several years.

And you trade Michael Crabtree, one of the biggest reasons you got there last year.

For a second round pick.

Ok you suddenly become sane and stop the trade, and then decide to trade him for another really good but troubled receiver.

Yeah thats a great move.

If I owned the 49ers I would fire you so fast you would be thinking you just got caught robbing a bank.
Originally posted by 49erWay:

You have a team that will compete for, and possibly win, the Superbowl. For the next several years.

And you trade Michael Crabtree, one of the biggest reasons you got there last year.

For a second round pick.

Ok you suddenly become sane and stop the trade, and then decide to trade him for another really good but troubled receiver.

Yeah thats a great move.

If I owned the 49ers I would fire you so fast you would be thinking you just got caught robbing a bank.

Who is saying this? I think that'd be absolutely stupid.
Originally posted by 49erWay:

For a second round pick.

Yeah thats a great move.

Who is saying this? I think that'd be absolutely stupid.

Who the hell is talking about trading Crabtree? LOL. I havent seen that mentioned. I have seen Manningham and LMJ mentioned as part of a trade, thats it.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He is not a headcase. I dont know why everyone makes him out to be a criminal. He looks like an altar boy compared to Aldon. He has a problem with codeine, but he is not a criminal.

If it wasnt for him only having one strike left, he would not be on the trading block period.

I didn't call him a criminal or imply he was a criminal. I said he was a headcase. They don't just want to trade him because he's an infraction away from getting banned for a year, they also want to trade him because even after that judgement he didn't clean up his act: he was still out partying every night, and also got pulled over for driving 100 MPH on the way to practice. In practice, they also think he's not coachable: he has the reputation for not paying attention in meetings and dogging it on the practice field. This is all, of course, after he failed three drug tests in two years in college, and another two drug tests in two years in the NFL.

He's still a young guy and might turn it around (and has all the talent in the world, why I'd def do the trade), but those are the reasons I called him a headcase.
Share 49ersWebzone