LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Son of a b*tch !!! Believe it or not, the Jets are actually getting better. Looks like we are going to get out-bid.

This is an acid test for Baalke to see how shrewd an operator he really is. If he can get this deal done, I will tip my hat off to him !!

As far as I can tell, the rumormongers are having a field day. There are seven more days to the trading deadline.

The absence of knowledge and the pervading presence of speculation continues to dominate, to disfigure this discussion.

Proclaiming this an acid test for Baalke makes as much sense as believing the rumors that are being floated by the usual suspects.

Enjoy the insanity and feast on the unknown.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Right now Josh Gordon is the 2nd leading receiver on the Browns.

Jordan Cameron leads the Browns in reception yardage. Cameron is ranked 16th in the league.

As of today, Gordon is the 27th ranked receiver in the NFL.

Anquan Boldin is ranked 19th. Vernon Davis is ranked 24th.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1
I wouldnt give up a 2nd for Gordon, there has to be other options out there, a 2nd rounder is pretty steep
Originally posted by buck:

Jordan Cameron leads the Browns in reception yardage. Cameron is ranked 16th in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1
FWIW Gordon was also suspended for 2 games so his stats are a little skewed. Using that same page, Gordon ranks 7th in yards per game, Boldin is 28th, Davis is 20th.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

6th in yards per game (90.0) and 11th in average (16.7). Also 22 first down catches in 5 games, Boldin has 23 in 7 games
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:

FWIW Gordon was also suspended for 2 games so his stats are a little skewed. Using that same page, Gordon ranks 7th in yards per game, Boldin is 28th, Davis is 20th.

Well said, I was about to bring it up and Jordan Cameron is only ranked 25th in yards/game. To add, you have to factor in he plays for the Browns with Brandon Weeden as his QB. The Browns are only ranked 18th in passing offense.

Looking at stats in isolation is doesn't give you the full picture, the eye test is also important. At least take a look at some highlights to get an idea of what his capabilities are such as the range of types of catches, run after catch and so on. When you combine the two, in my opinion he is more than legit.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
when the dust has cleared and he is not coming here, the only people upset will be those who already had him in a niner uniform and that is their problem
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Well said, I was about to bring it up and Jordan Cameron is only ranked 25th in yards/game. To add, you have to factor in he plays for the Browns with Brandon Weeden as his QB. The Browns are only ranked 18th in passing offense.

Looking at stats in isolation is doesn't give you the full picture, the eye test is also important. At least take a look at some highlights to get an idea of what his capabilities are such as the range of types of catches, run after catch and so on. When you combine the two, in my opinion he is more than legit.

True, but I find the stats to be more interesting than the rumors and speculations.

The importance of the stats can be debated rationally and logically; the rumors and speculations about the possible trade are less interesting.

We do not know who is bidding what for who or when.
Can you post a clip of his lowlights? I imagine most general managers will look at both the good and the bad.

Recognizing our limitations is an acid test.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:

Does that two game suspension increase or decrease his value in your opinion?

He is facing a one year minimum suspension. Has he demonstrated that he has got his head screwed on correctly?

I do not have the answers and I do not know if any of us do.

The people directly involved in the trade discussions would have a better sense of this than we do, wouldn't they?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I wouldnt give up a 2nd for Gordon, there has to be other options out there, a 2nd rounder is pretty steep

Getting an extra second round pick is a big deal.

I would not give up a 2nd round pick for a player with what seems to be a penchant for drinking cough medicine to get his codeine.

Originally posted by pd24:
Kaep is going to end up getting 15 to 20 million a year and we never had a QB taking up that much cap space. Right now we have a QB that doesn't make much money.

there's no way he's getting 15-20 a year. maybe after last year when the media fell in love with him. but his play (and the fact that other option qb's have somewhat struggled) this year doesn't garner him getting that much. hopefully he gives the coach that showed faith in him and the team a discount...i personally think crabtree is gone, he's the one that's gonna make a killing in the free agent market.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Fun Fact, Randy Moss out produced Jones in both yards and TDs last year... and hes being out produced in 2013 so far by... you guessed it Kyle Williams.

umm Jones has been hurt cept for 2 games

• buck
  • Veteran
Josh Gordon: I've been hearing trade rumors for weeks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267935/article/josh-gordon-ive-been-hearing-trade-rumors-for-weeks
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Getting an extra second round pick is a big deal.

I would not give up a 2nd round pick for a player with what seems to be a penchant for drinking cough medicine to get his codeine.

I know it's a huge risk and it's easy for me as an armchair GM to say I would pull the trigger bu tit's something to consider. I think he adds an element that the niners don't have in their WR core and that's speed. I could be wrong, but isn't he a vertical threat. Plus, this team has two second rounders and the draft is such a hit and miss process. But then again, Gordon's off the field troubles are alarming!

Maybe if he leaves that s**tty city, Cleveland, and goes to a real city like SF, maybe his behavior would improve a little bit; but I doubt it. Also, Colin wouldn't have had time to work with him, so if Gordon was slightly open in his route, colin probably wouldn't deliver the ball to him since he only throws to players that he feels comfortable with. That in itself can be a huge risk. For an extremely young WR to learn a new system mid season and expect him to produce immediately may be too tall of a task.

To me, the second round picks rarely produce the caliber of player that Gordon is IMO and it's worth the gamble since he's under contract for two more years, have a very cheap contract, and is very young. There are some risk involved but I think the team should do its due diligence.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
There are some risk involved but I think the team should do its due diligence.

Yes. There are risks involved.

I am pretty sure that the Baalke and Harbaugh have done the required due diligence.

It would be interesting to know what they discovered.
Share 49ersWebzone