There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would you trade....

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Also where does he fit in, we hardly use 3 WR sets, and if we do, its gonna be Boldin, Crabs and Mario. Also you deal LMJ, who returns, we keep Kyle Williams still, who cant get more than 5 yards, and fair catches with guys 15 yards away from him?

Patton? Baldwin? Wont get cut, no room to save, and Osgood is a keeper, whether people want to admit it, I rather cut Williams, then Osgood, who has been dynamite as a ST Ace.

I just dont see it happening, and we shouldn't get mad at Baalke, we have 2 WRs coming back soon, and we shouldn't give into demands, either Cleveland's or Fans.

Like i said, Gordon is a totally different WR than anyone currently on our roster. We dont know what Crabtree is gonna look like when he comes back, and Manningham would not get playing time over Gordon. Not to mention we have to look at the future.

I love Boldin. He is one of my favorite WR's all time. But Crabtree/Gordon is an upgrade to this offense over Crabtree/Boldin. Gordon would simply open sooo many other options in the passing game. If we can resign Boldin for a fair deal to both parties, than you bring him back and let him play in the slot.

I agree we need a vertical threat imo to open up the rest of the WRs.. Manningham & Crabtree returning are NOT a for sure slam dunk success we need a burner imo
I can't wait until the trade deadline passes. Tired of hearing about Gordon trade rumors that likely won't happen..
Also where does he fit in, we hardly use 3 WR sets, and if we do, its gonna be Boldin, Crabs and Mario. Also you deal LMJ, who returns, we keep Kyle Williams still, who cant get more than 5 yards, and fair catches with guys 15 yards away from him?

Patton? Baldwin? Wont get cut, no room to save, and Osgood is a keeper, whether people want to admit it, I rather cut Williams, then Osgood, who has been dynamite as a ST Ace.

I just dont see it happening, and we shouldn't get mad at Baalke, we have 2 WRs coming back soon, and we shouldn't give into demands, either Cleveland's or Fans.

Like i said, Gordon is a totally different WR than anyone currently on our roster. We dont know what Crabtree is gonna look like when he comes back, and Manningham would not get playing time over Gordon. Not to mention we have to look at the future.

I love Boldin. He is one of my favorite WR's all time. But Crabtree/Gordon is an upgrade to this offense over Crabtree/Boldin. Gordon would simply open sooo many other options in the passing game. If we can resign Boldin for a fair deal to both parties, than you bring him back and let him play in the slot.

I dont see Boldin wanting to be a 3rd WR, he is a starter. Plus like said, would you rather have a $10M WR(either Crabs or Gordon, cant pay both), or one of them, and Boldin? Boldin wont break the bank.

Plus it's not gonna happen anyway. I will be glad once trade deadline comes and goes. We dont use 3 WR sets, and MM will be #2 WR when back, then Crabs comes back, where does Gordon fit? We dont use 4 WRs on field at same time, we use RBs and TEs more. Run 1st team. I wouldn't mind it, but I dont see sense in trading a high pick and a player for a guy, who may have cleaned up, but if he screws up, he gets 1 yr suspension. Which means after that, he could very well see other suspensions/fines if he messes up yet again. It's possible. Think cautiously.
Originally posted by xtm059:
why not in the draft instead

1. This team hasn't been all that successful drafting WRs. Josh Gordon is more than likely better than any receiver this team would pick up in the draft anyway.
2. Gordon is a proven talent with NFL experience, signed on a rookie contract for the next 2 seasons at least.
3. Why wait until next year's draft when our time is NOW? Our Super Bowl window is still open. Gordon is the legit deep threat receiver this team NEEDS right now. Gordon, Boldin, VD + healthy Crabtree and Manningham - our offense would be unstoppable entering the playoffs.

Unfortunately I don't think a trade will happen at this point but it would be sweet if it did and completely logical.
DO IT BAALKE
Originally posted by sfout:
We all need to chill. The 49ers are not falling over themselves to get Gordon. Would it make sense long term? Yes it would but it doesn't mean they'll do it.

We would be foolish not to throw in a player *cough* LaMichael *cough* and a day 2 pick in an offer just to test the waters. Baalke's is all about salary cap and a risk/reward ratio. Boldin may be re-signable but AB, you need to read your own line again. He'll cost $5 million+ per year for probably a 2-3 year deal. If they could get Gordon and his 3rd round pick rookie contract with 2 years remaining you know Baalke would pick Gordon over many other players. The question is this, is he worth his potential off-field trouble?

The real question also isn't really should we have Gordon versus Boldin but this...

Should we have Gordon rather than Manningham or any other FA or rookie? Manningham is an FA and Gordon would effectively be an early replacement for him.

Secondly, much like AB and many others have contended, the 9ers would've traded for Gordon a long time ago if they were serious. I would even contend that the Jon Baldwin trade happened AFTER they considered trading for Gordon. They are reasonably close in size, speed, and playmaking ability and we got Baldwin for the price of a first round bust rather than adding in a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Only way we end up with Gordon is if the Browns have more injuries at RB or if we lose Boldin or Baldwin for the year and one of the teams cave into the demands of the other.

WUT? Baldwin is close to Gordon in playmaking ability? I am really starting to believe some of you guys have never seen Gordon play. I had to correct AB when he said Gordon didnt do anything his rookie season, and now i will correct you.

In 21 career games played, Gordon has 77 receptions, 1255 yards, a 16.3 average, and 7 TD's. Thats with nobodys throwing him the football on a losing squad. Can you imagine what this kid could do when you have guys like VD, crabs, and boldin on the field with him, a competent running game, and Kap throwing him the football?

I dont see Boldin wanting to be a 3rd WR, he is a starter. Plus like said, would you rather have a $10M WR(either Crabs or Gordon, cant pay both), or one of them, and Boldin? Boldin wont break the bank.

Plus it's not gonna happen anyway. I will be glad once trade deadline comes and goes. We dont use 3 WR sets, and MM will be #2 WR when back, then Crabs comes back, where does Gordon fit? We dont use 4 WRs on field at same time, we use RBs and TEs more. Run 1st team. I wouldn't mind it, but I dont see sense in trading a high pick and a player for a guy, who may have cleaned up, but if he screws up, he gets 1 yr suspension. Which means after that, he could very well see other suspensions/fines if he messes up yet again. It's possible. Think cautiously.

Manningham will not be resigned IMO. Unlikely we will resign Boldin either, although i would be in favor of it. Gordon is signed through 2015, so his contract is a non issue for the time being.

As i mentioned, i would rather see Crabtree/Gordon as the combo than any other of the combinations possible.
WUT? Baldwin is close to Gordon in playmaking ability? I am really starting to believe some of you guys have never seen Gordon play. I had to correct AB when he said Gordon didnt do anything his rookie season, and now i will correct you.

In 21 career games played, Gordon has 77 receptions, 1255 yards, a 16.3 average, and 7 TD's. Thats with nobodys throwing him the football on a losing squad. Can you imagine what this kid could do when you have guys like VD, crabs, and boldin on the field with him, a competent running game, and Kap throwing him the football?

In terms of talent I'd put Gordon up there on the Julio Jones level. If you can acquire him for a reasonable price, you do it. A combination of Crabtree and Gordon with Boldin in the slot and VD at TE would be absolutely devastating. That would be an offense that would be damn near impossible to defend, ridiculous amounts of talent at all the positions.

As far as the 49ers not running 3 WR sets, if they had actual talent at WR, I bet you'd see it far more often.

If they really want to load up the guns and be super aggressive to handle tough defenses such as Seattle's, adding Gordon would be a huge move in the right direction, 49ers would essentially end up with 2 #1 WR's plus an absolute beast in Boldin.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM ]

LOL! I wish Baldwin had Gordon's playmaking abilities. We wouldn't even be having this discussion right now

Don't get me wrong, I think Baldwin has some potential. But he's no Gordon. Not even close. Gordon is a rare, special talent and destined to be a star in this league especially if he gets his head on straight. Kap throwing deep to Gordon would just be a beauty to watch . I can only dream.

Manningham will not be resigned IMO. Unlikely we will resign Boldin either, although i would be in favor of it. Gordon is signed through 2015, so his contract is a non issue for the time being.

As i mentioned, i would rather see Crabtree/Gordon as the combo than any other of the combinations possible.

Why does everyone say we wont re-sign Boldin? Boldin is worth $5M a yr. He is proven commodity. I would take a Boldin over a Gordon. Face facts, Baalke wont be pressured to make a deal just because fans think it's a good deal. A 3rd at most, but they likely want a 1st or 2nd and top type player. a 1st is way way way too much for a guy with 1 strike away from 1yr suspension.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In terms of talent I'd put Gordon up there on the Julio Jones level. If you can acquire him for a reasonable price, you do it. A combination of Crabtree and Gordon with Boldin in the slot and VD at TE would be absolutely devastating. That would be an offense that would be damn near impossible to defend, ridiculous amounts of talent at all the positions.

As far as the 49ers not running 3 WR sets, if they had actual talent at WR, I bet you'd see it far more often.

Gordon would put this offense over the top IMO. Most people will call me crazy, but i would give up a late first no problem. I wouldnt even blink. Our WR core right now is pathetic, and im not overly excited about relying on guys coming off of injury to save it. Also what happens if we have another injury or setback? WTF would we do right now if Boldin went down?

Im sick of walking that fine line at the WR position. We have walked it for two, going on three seasons now.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I would hate that trade, a 1st for a guy who is 1 mistake from a 1yr suspension, and no guarantee he will help win a super bowl. Everyone assumes he is the savior, when he isnt.

And Boldin is better than Gordon, so Crabs, Boldin, and Patton is better core IMO. But just what I think.

You've lost me there. What is this comparison between Boldin and Gordon about ? Boldin is not a deep threat wideout, Gordon is. They possess different skill sets, is like comparing apples with oranges. Boldin is not fast enough to burn DBs on the outside for the deep routes, if he was it would have happened by now. Boldin is a great receiver up to an intermediate range of around 25 yards, no question about that.

I'm just saying. In general I rather have Boldin on a 3yr deal, and Crabs on a long term deal, then Gordon, and rooks. I rather proven vets, and a few rooks to learn from them.

But, I think you are missing the point. Sometimes, a good organization has to be able to make tactical as well as strategic decisions. We need help NOW, planning for 2014 and beyond is a whole different discussion altogether. We can re-sign Boldin and draft at least 2 WRs going forward, but that won't help our position in this season. Also, is unwise to automatically assume Mario and Crab will be balling from the word go right after they come back, is just unrealistic.

I'm not too confident in baalke and this scouting staff to draft a wr worth a damn, still pisses me off seeing randle doing something while we took freaking Jenkins trying to be f**king cute

That is always the concern. I don't even want to think about : 1) how many WRs is he going to draft ? and 2) and how high up and who ? Like you, I am far from confident we will land some studs cos Baalke and Co. have been just next to hopeless in selecting wideouts. Is interesting you mentioned Rueben Randle cos he was my pick. The kid is doing very well and well on schedule. Thinking back to that AJ Jenkins pick still really pis*es me off. But, what can we do ? We will just have to hope for the best. I would say at least pick 2 WRs and let the numbers make up for their inept evaluation. In other words, just hope and pray they hit on someone that can actually play football out of the lot given their hit rate is so ridiculously low. Just one word of advice, keep your expectations incheck cos otherwise you would just end up being disappointed.
Why does everyone say we wont re-sign Boldin? Boldin is worth $5M a yr. He is proven commodity. I would take a Boldin over a Gordon. Face facts, Baalke wont be pressured to make a deal just because fans think it's a good deal. A 3rd at most, but they likely want a 1st or 2nd and top type player. a 1st is way way way too much for a guy with 1 strike away from 1yr suspension.

Like i said, i would like to resign Boldin, but im basing my opinion on our recent history of bringing in veteran WR's as one year rentals.

But no, i would not take Boldin over Gordon, and i am one of his biggest fans. Have been a fan of his since he was a member of the cardinals.

I have never stated Baalkie would be swayed by my opinion, that would be ridiculous, but it wont stop me from voicing my opinion on the matter.

Gordon should be worth a late 1st to the 49ers right now IMO.
That is always the concern. I don't even want to think about : 1) how many WRs is he going to draft ? and 2) and how high up and who ? Like you, I am far from confident we will land some studs cos Baalke and Co. have been just next to hopeless in selecting wideouts. Is interesting you mentioned Rueben Randle cos he was my pick. The kid is doing very well and well on schedule. Thinking back to that AJ Jenkins pick still really pis*es me off. But, what can we do ? We will just have to hope for the best. I would say at least pick 2 WRs and let the numbers make up for their inept evaluation. In other words, just hope and pray they hit on someone that can actually play football out of the lot given their hit rate is so ridiculously low. Just one word of advice, keep your expectations incheck cos otherwise you would just end up being disappointed.

To be fair, how can you say their rate is so low when Baalke has drafted a total of what....4 WR's? 2 were 6th round picks, one was a bust, the other has managed to stick on the roster and Patton is still an N/A due to his injuries but he looked far more promising in the preseason than Jenkins ever did. Regardless of how lacking his performance might be. I don't think its fair to say that Baalke "can't draft WR's" after one miss really. Every single GM has busts, no matter how regarded, Ozzie Newsome has had multiple drafts of practically nothing but busts and is still regarded as a great GM.

To me the bigger issue is that there's not a whole lot of WR talent in this upcoming draft, very few guys at the top, so if you can get someone with star quality, who is already experienced somewhat, you're not going to be able to do better than at the spots where the 49ers will be picking.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM ]
Like i said, i would like to resign Boldin, but im basing my opinion on our recent history of bringing in veteran WR's as one year rentals.

But no, i would not take Boldin over Gordon, and i am one of his biggest fans. Have been a fan of his since he was a member of the cardinals.

I have never stated Baalkie would be swayed by my opinion, that would be ridiculous, but it wont stop me from voicing my opinion on the matter.

Gordon should be worth a late 1st to the 49ers right now IMO.

I also don't think that trading for Gordon precludes you from signing Boldin for another year or two seeing as how Gordon will be on a low salary for 2 more seasons after this one. They let Manningham and Williams walk and next season the WR corps looks like the following:

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Boldin
4-Patton
5-Baldwin

That's a pretty damn good group of receivers.