LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chico
  • Veteran
nope! happy with our receivers. I look forward to Manningham coming back over Crabby Patty
I want Nicks here. I think he's a tremendous receiver with size, deep ability and the ability to score. I think he's a great future to build around (if the price is right... BIG IF). But where would he fit this year once Mario and Crabs come back? Is Mario now the #4? Do we have 3 receivers on the field without any speed? Crabs being the fastest receiver would be problematic.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I want Nicks here. I think he's a tremendous receiver with size, deep ability and the ability to score. I think he's a great future to build around (if the price is right... BIG IF). But where would he fit this year once Mario and Crabs come back? Is Mario now the #4? Do we have 3 receivers on the field without any speed? Crabs being the fastest receiver would be problematic.

Forget about it, not going to happen, if the 49ers did trade for him, it'd be for a rental period, they're already going to be scrambling to re-sign Crabtree, there's absolutely no cap space available for Nicks if you want them to resign Kaepernick, Aldon, Iupati, Culliver..etc.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Forget about it, not going to happen, if the 49ers did trade for him, it'd be for a rental period, they're already going to be scrambling to re-sign Crabtree, there's absolutely no cap space available for Nicks if you want them to resign Kaepernick, Aldon, Iupati, Culliver..etc.

Agreed. To add another point to your argument, it's not like you trade for Nicks, insert him and watch the 100 yard games pile up. This is football, it's complicated and new players need to be brought up to speed with the new offense they are joining. The important factor for the 49ers here would be timing, as Nicks optimistically would require a couple of weeks to acclimate himself to the new offense. By then, you have Manningham back with Crabtree in the queue.

Also, given Nicks is sure to be gone at seasons end, why focus your energies on someone who's out the door in 4 months anyways? Gordon from the Browns would make more sense for the 49ers than Nicks as at least he is locked up longer term....in either case, you'd also have to be willing to drop Boldin at season's to make salaries work for the following season.

I think the best play here is to roll with what you have (4-2) and worry about that stuff next season, where you'll likely have Boldin/Crabtree outside and Patton in the slot. The o-line is vital to the success of this team as well, and I'm betting they'll want to consider a C early in the 2014 draft followed by another DB.

WR is a need only because of injuries so lets not panic here. It is highly unlikely they target an early receiver in next years draft. They will likely use a mid-round pick on a guy with a particular skill they need (ie. Return guy) and hope he develops.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Chico:
nope! happy with our receivers. I look forward to Manningham coming back over Crabby Patty

lol... I hope this is a joke. i wouldn't expect much from a guy coming back so quick from a KNEE injury especially his type vs Crabs injury, The knee is a huge mental mindfuk. i wouldn't expect much from him. he's going to be gun shy
and WTF is up with all of the Nicks nonsense. He drops a lot of balls, and is often injury... and he'd only be a rental. we can't afford him. Gordon is the only trade for a WR that makes sense
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by verb1der:
LMJ for one of the Eagles WRs!

Chip Kelly would love to have his boy back.

Riley Cooper

Maclin! LMJ and a third or even a second since we will most likely have two.

Yea I'd take Maclin!

the guy ripped his knee up in training camp
Originally posted by wailers15:
and WTF is up with all of the Nicks nonsense. He drops a lot of balls, and is often injury... and he'd only be a rental. we can't afford him. Gordon is the only trade for a WR that makes sense

This. I'd much rather have Gordon simply because the 49ers have him under contract for another 2 seasons after this one. With Nicks, by the time he gets up to speed and if.....and this is a big IF he can stay healthy, he'll be a contributor for the last month or so of the season and the playoffs but then he's gone and the 49ers are out a draft pick that could have resulted in a talented young player.
Incredible, you all want to trade LMJ before he is used in a sproles like situation. So far, Coach H, and probably especially Roman, haven't seen fit to use him like that...but he would be perfect as a HB receiver coming out of the backfield, especially in motion. Why in the world we haven't done that yet is beyond me...and it is where he should be playing. Trading him...are you guys nuts? Use him properly, not between tackles, and he will be superb. As an RB he is basically only a 4th as a RB. Use him like sproles and the guy will blossom.. Trade him, c'mon.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by stunder49:
why do we trade LMJ everyday on Niner talk?

LOL, this.

hahaha

Desean Jackson for James and a 2ndrounder... Hey I can dream can't i?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Incredible, you all want to trade LMJ before he is used in a sproles like situation. So far, Coach H, and probably especially Roman, haven't seen fit to use him like that...but he would be perfect as a HB receiver coming out of the backfield, especially in motion. Why in the world we haven't done that yet is beyond me...and it is where he should be playing. Trading him...are you guys nuts? Use him properly, not between tackles, and he will be superb. As an RB he is basically only a 4th as a RB. Use him like sproles and the guy will blossom.. Trade him, c'mon.

Since Harbaugh doesn't want to dress him for games, what use is he with us? Might as well get something out of him.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by Chico:

lol... I hope this is a joke. i wouldn't expect much from a guy coming back so quick from a KNEE injury especially his type vs Crabs injury, The knee is a huge mental mindfuk. i wouldn't expect much from him. he's going to be gun shy
This. Manningham might be practicing but that doesn't mean he'll be back to his old self. Can say the same thing with Crabs when he comes back. Crabs is anticipated to return when we play the Saints and I seriously doubt he'll have a 100yd 2 TD game in that which we may need from someone other than Davis. The Saints will most likely take away Davis because Boldin isn't a deep threat.

With all the picks we have next year....we have a couple we can let go of. We'll even be getting extra picks from KC because of Alex. Do the trade, it won't hurt the team only makes it more solid for a SB push.
[ Edited by Baldie on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
yea lets trade for another injured receiver...
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Maclin! LMJ and a third or even a second since we will most likely have two.
Originally posted by crabman82:
the guy ripped his knee up in training camp

So he'd be giving us about as much production this year as James has. Maclin's injury wasn't career threatening or anything. Players come back from ACL tears all the time.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM ]
Should've kept Austin Collie on the 53. He's now catching passes in NE, and seemed to be healthy. We let him go for scrubs like Marlon Moore and Kyle Williams.
Share 49ersWebzone