LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • hps49
  • Veteran
Gordon. Goat. Lol
For those that say the 49ers should make the trade, I don't think the compensation is the problem. The problem is the reason Gordon is available for trade in the first place. They could trade that 2nd round pick and have it all go down the drain very quickly. We need receiver help badly, but I would not trade away such a high pick in HOPES that Gordon stays clean. No one is arguing the talent. If you want to take a risk with a player that has a drug problem, see the Miami Heat for example with Michael Beasley. Low risk, high reward in that case.

If they are going to make a trade for a receiver, I'd rather they just move up in the draft and get one of the better prospects.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
For those that say the 49ers should make the trade, I don't think the compensation is the problem. The problem is the reason Gordon is available for trade in the first place. They could trade that 2nd round pick and have it all go down the drain very quickly. We need receiver help badly, but I would not trade away such a high pick in HOPES that Gordon stays clean. No one is arguing the talent. If you want to take a risk with a player that has a drug problem, see the Miami Heat for example with Michael Beasley. Low risk, high reward in that case.

If they are going to make a trade for a receiver, I'd rather they just move up in the draft and get one of the better prospects.

I think you are missing the point here. You are talking about potential issues that could happen in the long run and most of us are talking about legit WR performance to help us make a run to garner success for this very season. Our passing game as it stands has been put into the freezer. We need all the help we can get before we can unthaw ourselves.

Yes, likewise, I love the WR prospects in next year's draft too, but once again that has nothing to do with the current season. However many top WR prospects we draft is for the benefit of the 2014 season and beyond. To add, even if Gordon's off-feld issues resurface, it would mean blowing just one 2nd round pick. I am pretty sure we would still have more than ample draft ammo to go after anybody we want.

There's no high reward for Michael Beasley, he's terrible. But I see your point.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think you are missing the point here. You are talking about potential issues that could happen in the long run and most of us are talking about legit WR performance to help us make a run to garner success for this very season. Our passing game as it stands has been put into the freezer. We need all the help we can get before we can unthaw ourselves.

The potential problems with Gordon are NOT necessarily limited to the long run. .

We could make the trade, We could use a second round pick or third round pick on Gordon in attempt to solve the current problem.

And Gordon could violate the substance rules and we could lose him before getting to the play-offs.

If that were to happen, we would have lost Gordon and we would have lost a valuable draft pick.

Gordon's sense of entitlement and poor work ethic could damage or disrupt seriously the team dynamic and have a negative short, medium, and long range impact.

If that happens, the potential benefits gained from the trade are diminished and we still lose the pick we gave up for Gordon.

We simply do not know enough to read the future--the short run or the long run future. Baalke and Harbaugh also do not know enough to read the future.

At the end of the day, Baalke and Harbaugh have to make the call. They have to make those judgments.

As I said, before I am glad that the responsibility for the choice to be made does lie with me.

But, it seems pretty clear the potential trade has both potential benefits and potential risks--benefits and risks for the short, medium, and long run.

Let's see what happens.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:23 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
The potential problems with Gordon are NOT necessarily limited to the long run. .

We could make the trade, We could use a second round pick or third round pick on Gordon in attempt to solve the current problem.

And Gordon could violate the substance rules and we could lose him before getting to the play-offs.

If that were to happen, we would have lost Gordon and we have lost a valuable draft pick.

Gordon's sense of entitlement and poor work ethic could damage or disrupt seriously the team dynamic and have a negative short, medium, and long range impact.

If that happens, the potential benefits gained from the trade are diminished and we still lose the pick we gave up for Gordon.

We simply do not know enough to read the future--the short run or the long run future. Baalke and Harbaugh also do not know enough to read the future.

At the end of the day, Baalke and Harbaugh have to make the call. They have to make those judgments.

As I said, before I am glad that the responsibility for the choice to be made does lie with me.

But, it seems pretty clear the potential trade has both potential benefits and potential risks--benefits and risks for the short, medium, and long run.

Let's see what happens.

Like I said even if his off-field issues resurface, we would have blown just one 2nd round pick. We have enough draft ammo to swallow that. The point is we need the help NOW. Plus given how solid our locker room is, there is no way Josh Gordon as an individual can completely destroy our locker room. I have more confidence in our vets and the deeply engrained culture that can withstand it no problem. Worse come to worst, we will just trade him away after the season. I didn't say there was no risk. This is a high risk high reward type of a move. Like I had said before, if you want to go after the big one, sometimes you will need to make bold moves especially considering how serious our current passing game issue is.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Like I said even if his off-field issues resurface, we would have blown just one 2nd round pick. We have enough draft ammo to swallow that. The point is we need the help NOW. Plus given how solid our locker room is, there is no way Josh Gordon as an individual can completely destroy our locker room. I have more confidence in our vets and the deeply engrained culture that can withstand it no problem. Worse come to worst, we will just trade him away after the season. I didn't say there was no risk. This is a high risk high reward type of a move. Like I had said before, if you want to go after the big one, sometimes you will need to make bold moves especially considering how serious our current passing game issue is.

I was pointed out that the problems were not limited to the long run. You clearly indicated that they were so limited.

I agree that given how solid our locker room is, there is no way Josh Gordon as an individual can completely destroy our locker room.

But, I never said anything about completely destroying anything. I said his sense of entitlement could hurt or damage the locker room enough to diminish the potential benefits of the trade.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I was pointed out that the problems were not limited to the long run. You clearly indicated that they were so limited.

I agree that given how solid our locker room is, there is no way Josh Gordon as an individual can completely destroy our locker room.

But, I never said anything about completely destroying anything. I said his sense of entitlement could hurt or damage the locker room enough to
diminish the potential benefits of the trade.

Sure if it go south of course it will "diminish the potential benefits of the trade", no doubt about it. But, that is why I said this is the risk that comes with a high risk high reward type of a move.

The word "destroy" might be a little strong, what I am saying is if Gordon steps out of line, I am sure the vets will step in to sort him out, he won't stand a chance to even "damage" our locker room. Like I said, if he doesn't respond in a positive manner, then just trade him away.

At the end of the day, is up to the individual what he wants to do much like Aldon Smith is currently trying to resolve his own issues.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
There is no way Gordon will effect our team negatively. Not with guys like Boldin, V Davis, Willis, J Smith, Gore, Bowman, Brooks, Whitner, Kaep, and even Crabtree to tell him to STFU and know your role if he needs it. This is a no-brainer move and one we desperately need right now. You cant put all you eggs in 1 basket and hope Crabtree and Ham will play like their old selves after serious injuries.
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:28 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

The word "destroy" might be a little strong, what I am saying is if Gordon steps out of line, I am sure the vets will step in to sort him out, he won't stand a chance to even "damage" our locker room. Like I said, if he doesn't respond in a positive manner, then just trade him away.

He could damage our locker room, but I am not going to enter a debate over the meaning of damage.

If he doesn't respond in a positive manner, we could just trade him for another 7th round pick.

I would rather keep the 2nd, but maybe I am just a little strange.

• Baldie
  • Veteran

Yes, likewise, I love the WR prospects in next year's draft too, but once again that has nothing to do with the current season. However many top WR prospects we draft is for the benefit of the 2014 season and beyond. To add, even if Gordon's off-feld issues resurface, it would mean blowing just one 2nd round pick. I am pretty sure we would still have more than ample draft ammo to go after anybody we want.

Gordon can make the WR corps better NOW. I do agree that using the 2nd pick to trade up is a good idea, but we're talking about this season, not next season. Our window to win a SB is not going to get any bigger with the other teams getting more powerful (Hawks, Saints, Broncos, etc.). In the next season or two we are going to probably lose a couple key guys to FA. We can't sit around waiting to see how we do in the draft next season.

I say make the trade! The worst that can happen is he F's up and gets suspended but you'd have to think he'd straighten up with a SB contender.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
There is no way Gordon will effect our team negatively. Not with guys like Boldin, V Davis, Willis, J Smith, Gore, Bowman, Brooks, Whitner, Kaep, and even Crabtree to tell him to STFU and know your role if he needs it. This is a no-brainer move and one we desperately need right now. You cant put all you eggs in 1 basket and hope Crabtree and Ham will play like their old selves after serious injuries.

AMEN!!!!! What I've been saying all along. If they had come back early in the season, maybe. But we're talking about them returning at mid to later in the season when games are critical.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
He could damage our locker room, but I am not going to enter a debate over the meaning of damage.

If he doesn't respond in a positive manner, we could just trade him for another 7th round pick.

But, you are only focusing on the negatives of the trade.

Nowhere in your argument talks about the potential upside of this trade say of him balling out with Kap and perhaps even helping us to go to the Super Bowl.

Trust me, if the guy can ball even if has certain off-field issues, there will still be teams which would be happy to take a chance. It also depends on how bad the team needs a stud WR and how much they are willing to pay for such a guy. And I am quite sure we will be able to trade him for more than a 7th round. What do you think we would get for Aldon Smith if we were to trade him away even with his current off-field issues ? At least quite a lot more than a 7th I would say.

There are head coaches out there who believes they can sort out most players such as Belichick, but of course right now he is not in a huge need for a WR, but he is just an example of the type of HCs who are willing to take in guys with off-field issues. Just think of the number of guys with issues he has taken in to date, if you discount Hernandez who totally screwed it up, there are tonnes who worked out OK.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

But, you are only focusing on the negatives of the trade.

Nowhere in your argument talks about the potential upside of this trade say of him balling out with Kap and perhaps even helping us to go to the Super Bowl.

Trust me, if the guy can ball even if has certain off-field issues, there will still be teams which would be happy to take a chance. It also depends on how bad the team needs a stud WR and how much they are willing to pay for such a guy. And I am quite sure we will be able to trade him for more than a 7th round. What do you think we would get for Aldon Smith if we were to trade him away even with his current off-field issues ? At least quite a lot more than a 7th I would say.

There are head coaches out there who believes they can sort out most players such as Belichick, but of course right now he is not in a huge need for a WR, but he is just an example of the type of HCs who are willing to take in guys with off-field issues. Just think of the number of guys with issues he has taken in to date, if you discount Hernandez who totally screwed it up, there are tonnes who worked out OK.

If NE was to get Gordon though.....Gronk, Gordon, Thompkins, they finally have a decent defense and running game........would almost remind me of the Niners but with a more elite QB
  • buck
  • Veteran
Well, we should find out relatively quickly what is going to happen. I am willing to see what happens.

If we make the trade, we make the trade. If we do, I hope all my doubts prove to totally without merit.
Share 49ersWebzone