LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With #52 restructuring, how on earth could anyone go into the locker room thinking they are worth more to the team?

Seriously, I know everyone wants to get paid, thats common sense, but how do you look Willis in the eye and say, "I need more money for me"?

I dont know Crabs, or really follow him alot, he's a good player, not great. Hes not going to be a player like Megatron or A. Johnson that scares the hell out of DC's. He is what he is, and with Boldin, his numbers will go down this year. Nothing against him, just another quality target for Kap.

Like him as a player and hope he can realize that he can not only be rich but can enjoy winning while he is able to play instead of going for a huge check and losing for the rest of his years.

Its up to him, his agents, and the 9ers FO on what happens. Same goes for CK, Iupati, Hunter, etc... They are all wealthy, I hope that they understand they are part of something that could be immortal, up there with the teams of the 80's, people and players that are talked about for generations.

But its up to Crabs.........
no way we can keep him
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Since our FO didnt draft a WR in the first 3 rounds, it's a possibility that they feel they can sign him. Usually WRs start to showcase their true potential in the 3rd year, so it'd make sense to draft a WR high so he can be ready by 2015. After the kind of season AJ Jenkins had - WR had to be one of the bigger needs going into this draft.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
With #52 restructuring, how on earth could anyone go into the locker room thinking they are worth more to the team?

Seriously, I know everyone wants to get paid, thats common sense, but how do you look Willis in the eye and say, "I need more money for me"?

I know you're talking about Crabtree, but depending on the position played and how good they are at doing what's asked from that position, there are guys that can look Willis in the eye and tell him they want more money than he gets. Kaepernick and Aldon come to mind for the simple fact that QB and pass rusher are more important than MLB, especially when the team has a 2nd MLB who is just as good as the 1st.

Another thing you need to realize is Patrick Willis didn't give up any money.

I see the point you were trying to make, but if players were paid strictly based on how good they are at their particular position, Justin Smith would be one of the highest paid players in the NFL. That's simply not how it works, however. WRs generally make more than MLBs. CBs, QBs and pass rushers make more than everyone else. WRs are getting up there. That's just the way it is because of the importance of the passing game in today's NFL.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I think they franchise him if they can't get a deal when his contract is up.

The point I am trying to make is that they can't afford a top WR. If that is the case, they won't be able to afford to franchise him.
if we cant afford top players how the heck do we have all these top player on the roster ?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I think they franchise him if they can't get a deal when his contract is up.

The point I am trying to make is that they can't afford a top WR. If that is the case, they won't be able to afford to franchise him.
if we cant afford top players how the heck do we have all these top player on the roster ?

Kaep is going to end up getting 15 to 20 million a year and we never had a QB taking up that much cap space. Right now we have a QB that doesn't make much money.

You're right about that, but I think this FO knows that without Crabtree, Kaep wouldn't have played the level of football that he did last year.

Our defensive players (and Vernon Davis) have all made contract adjustments to help keep their teammates. Hopefully Kaep follows suit and doesn't strap the team.
Actually I think we will clear cap space by letting Gore, Justin Smith and a few others go (hurts me to even write that).
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
The salary cap is essentially flat over the next two years, and likely longer. It's even artificially inflated right now to keep it level through taking out of the pension fund.

I've heard it both ways so I guess that we will just have to wait and see.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Actually I think we will clear cap space by letting Gore, Justin Smith and a few others go (hurts me to even write that).

I really, really, really hope we win the Super Bowl this season, for obvious reasons. But besides wanting the 49ers to succeed, it would be great for Smith and Gore to go out on top. I hope neither, particularly Gore, plays in another uniform.
Hell no. We can afford him. Older high priced veterans like Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, J. Smith, Gore will likely be off the books when Crabtree's contract is up. Kaep developed special chemistry with him in just 10 games together, and they're young.
I see him retiring here just like I see Gore, Willis, and Vernon doing the same. I think we hold onto Boldin as well. We have been consistently weak at WR it would make sense to keep them around until they are no longer producing. Jenkins will work into the mix in the future and I think we hold onto Crabs and maybe even Manningham for the long haul.

I feel like these could be options? Wayne may be a stretch but I think all things should be looked at!
I vote for Britt
[ Edited by Donnies49ers on May 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Not a chance. We might sign a veteran FA may be, but definitely not trading for some dude with a big contract. We just don't have the cap room.
I don't think we trade for anyone or bring in any free agents, atleast until we know what we have in our young guys. If no one steps up then i think we might bring someone in, but we must find out what we have now that an opportunity presents its self. If we bring anyone in expect them to replace one of the younger guys. Cap space probably won't be an issue because we are gonna get some relief when we cut Goodwin.
megatron
lol you guys and your madden "we will just trade for one" solutions
Share 49ersWebzone