LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Niners need to seriously look at the roster and the cap room and see what moves can be made. This team cant stay together for long with all the talent especially on the defensive side of the ball. With Bowman Willis Smith and Brooks as LBs somebody is bound to leave for a payday. WR core needs improvement and so does the Secondary. Josh Gordon would definitely boost the offense. Add a legit shutdown corner and the 49ers would take back the top spot in the NFL.
I looked at our possible draft picks for 2014 and just wondered if the front office might pull a trade for a position of need. If they really believe that this team has a real chance this year then why not? Do we really need 13 picks next draft (including most likely compensatory pick) I know very few trades take place during the season but they do happen. One must wonder if all the draft pick stocking and drafting 3 players that might not see the field until next year in this years draft might signal that the FO is thinking future or over estimated this years talent.
Since Josh Freeman just got benched in Tampa. Why don't we just trade a mid to late round pick for him to be Kap's backup and trade McCoy for another 7th rounder. Just a thought.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I looked at our possible draft picks for 2014 and just wondered if the front office might pull a trade for a position of need. If they really believe that this team has a real chance this year then why not? Do we really need 13 picks next draft (including most likely compensatory pick) I know very few trades take place during the season but they do happen. One must wonder if all the draft pick stocking and drafting 3 players that might not see the field until next year in this years draft might signal that the FO is thinking future or over estimated this years talent.

Yeah like you said very few trades happen during the season but we do have plenty of picks so it is a possibility. One thing you guys have to keep in mind though is we only have 1.x mil in cap space so if we are trading a player for a pick he has to make less than what we have left on the cap. Not many guys making less than 1.x mil who are worth trading for. If he is making a lot like say Rubin DE for Browns at 6 million with us at 1.x mil we'd have to trade them a player making around 5 mil or more to stay under the cap. That or we'd have to restructure somebody and get under the cap by 6 mil ish before making the trade. We'd have to get AB in here to clarify but you be able to get the team trading the player to pay the rest of the salary. Gordon and Little are making about what we have left on the cap but Little is hardly worth trading for unless its a late round pick which they probably won't do. Gordon they probably were just seeing what type of offer they could get. No way they trade him for less than a 1st or 2nd IMO, I don't see them trading him at all since they won on Sunday and are only 1 back in the division. Just not a lot of teams selling at this point in the season. You would have better luck by the time the trade deadline rolls around (week 8 i think) because then more teams would be out of the race and willing to trade guys. Problem is that might be too late, we might not need them anymore with some of our guys coming back. Also, if you trade half way through the season could take them weeks before they learn the playbook and can be a factor. The sooner you get them in the better. Some what different than MLB where you can pick up a slugger mid season and he isn't learning a playbook.

As for Josh Freeman won't happen because we'd have to take on most of his 8.43 mil salary I believe and we won't do that for a backup. We'd have to cut a bunch of players or have them restructure to get an extra 4 mil to pay his 6.44 mil (only have 1.x again). He will get traded to a team with cap room who is shaky at QB and is looking to compete this year. Also, he is a FA after this year so he could be a less than a season rental or you better be ready to re-up him before the end of the season. I don't see many teams wanting him for more than a late rounder at most. Maybe Jaguars if they are ready to give up on Henne/Gabbert although might take them out of the Clowney/Bridgewater running so not really any point to it. Raiders seem good with Pryor and Jets with Smith. If he gets cut though then he is free to sign with any team he wants for whatever price he takes (over vet min). He would get a lot more suitors then since they don't have to pay him 8.4 mil.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Since Josh Freeman just got benched in Tampa. Why don't we just trade a mid to late round pick for him to be Kap's backup and trade McCoy for another 7th rounder. Just a thought.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk1h
Biggest possible impediment to a trade: Josh Freeman is still owed $6.44 million of $8.43 million salary for 2013 http://wp.me/p14QSB-9hCH ;
Why would we be trading for a quarterback?
Originally posted by English:
Why would we be trading for a quarterback?

i've been critical of Kaep the past week or so and even i know we wont be. but you know how the wz can get,
[ Edited by crabman82 on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Freeman is terrible.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

that does not help our lack of depth on defense, that does not help our woefully bad group of wide outs, that does not help the doorknob person we have as OC

You wot mate?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
I would get a legit WR first before anything else.
This!

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

RascalMemberPosts: 2,449 I would get a legit WR first before anything else.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174842-could-we-trade-for/page6/#lEqTyc32YJrCkthP.99
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Yeah like you said very few trades happen during the season but we do have plenty of picks so it is a possibility. One thing you guys have to keep in mind though is we only have 1.x mil in cap space so if we are trading a player for a pick he has to make less than what we have left on the cap. Not many guys making less than 1.x mil who are worth trading for. If he is making a lot like say Rubin DE for Browns at 6 million with us at 1.x mil we'd have to trade them a player making around 5 mil or more to stay under the cap. That or we'd have to restructure somebody and get under the cap by 6 mil ish before making the trade. We'd have to get AB in here to clarify but you be able to get the team trading the player to pay the rest of the salary. Gordon and Little are making about what we have left on the cap but Little is hardly worth trading for unless its a late round pick which they probably won't do. Gordon they probably were just seeing what type of offer they could get. No way they trade him for less than a 1st or 2nd IMO, I don't see them trading him at all since they won on Sunday and are only 1 back in the division. Just not a lot of teams selling at this point in the season. You would have better luck by the time the trade deadline rolls around (week 8 i think) because then more teams would be out of the race and willing to trade guys. Problem is that might be too late, we might not need them anymore with some of our guys coming back. Also, if you trade half way through the season could take them weeks before they learn the playbook and can be a factor. The sooner you get them in the better. Some what different than MLB where you can pick up a slugger mid season and he isn't learning a playbook.

As for Josh Freeman won't happen because we'd have to take on most of his 8.43 mil salary I believe and we won't do that for a backup. We'd have to cut a bunch of players or have them restructure to get an extra 4 mil to pay his 6.44 mil (only have 1.x again). He will get traded to a team with cap room who is shaky at QB and is looking to compete this year. Also, he is a FA after this year so he could be a less than a season rental or you better be ready to re-up him before the end of the season. I don't see many teams wanting him for more than a late rounder at most. Maybe Jaguars if they are ready to give up on Henne/Gabbert although might take them out of the Clowney/Bridgewater running so not really any point to it. Raiders seem good with Pryor and Jets with Smith. If he gets cut though then he is free to sign with any team he wants for whatever price he takes (over vet min). He would get a lot more suitors then since they don't have to pay him 8.4 mil.

Don't expect a trade for a high priced guy. Not only for this years cap, but next years cap. We need money to extend some guys, maybe Iupati and Crabs. Plus Cully, Aldon, Kap, Miller, Kilgore, and Hunter.

Only viable options to restructure are,

Whitner (Already earned $679,411 of his $3.85M base) - Plus we have no leverage, what will we do, start Dahl or Spillman? Neither is better than Whitner
Boldin (Already earned over $1.058M of $6M base) - Makes most sense, he may want to stay in SF, and we could extend him. But the money pwed is not a big amount anymore.
Gore (Already paid $582,353 of his $3.3M base) - No real leverage, he is playing better when we run

Vernon Davis and Carlos Rogers can't restructure and get signing bonuses until November due to CBA and NFL rules, has to be 1 calendar year to redo a deal and get raise. And We dont have leverage over Rogers. He could of had a redo, but Cully went down, and we were screwed. Especially when Wright's trade was voided, and now on NFI.

Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman all make minimum, cant go lower, plus they all have had reduced salaries due to extensions or restructures.

Crabs and Mario wont be redone either. No leverage there, both will make there money, plus Mario took a pay cut already. Wont do another one. He is guaranteed $1.25M if cut for injury. He and Crabs' salaries are NOT guaranteed, but would make no sense. Unless Crabs signs an extension, but that's slim and none to be honest. Not happening any time soon.

Dorsey signed for minimum. Anthony Davis already signed an extension, so not allowed either. Iupati cant, his 1M salary isnt enough to get an extension and lowered base.

A guy like Boone makes no sense, only 950K base, already made 3 game chcekcs.

Andy Lee 1.8M base, but wont happen, who would be better to bring in, plus would take a cap hit either way to cut him if we thought someone was better.

Brooks maybe, but no leverage either. Only makes $2.7M in base.

Only ay to gain cap room is if someone comes forward, like Brooks, Bowman, Willis who all have $750K roster bonus, per game, and eliminated them. But doubtful.

Face facts guys, trades for higher priced guys, not happening. Only small salary guys would work.

Also Baldwin, cant due to CBA rules. Same with guys like Aldon(Who is making entire salary while on NFI according to Maiocco).

There just isnt money to be saved anywhere. Brown is making near minimum. Spillman maybe, 1.225M base, but no leverage, best ST guy. Skuta too, only making $1M. Brock would of made sense, making 1.323M, but already gained 3 checks. Snyder makes near minimum. McCoy could be cut to save room, but no better option at QB IMO. I dont like Vince Young. Old and maybe washed up.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Now that would be a move! Kid is a stud. Niners would be a great place for him to get his head on

Kendall Hunter for Josh Gordon...right now...Cleveland doesn't want to win
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Kendall Hunter for Josh Gordon...right now...Cleveland doesn't want to win

Not sure if serious
Share 49ersWebzone