LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Baalke clearly does not like BPA... Especially in 1st round

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Baalke does not purely draft BPA.... I've often read that drafting for need over BPA was the quickest way to mess up a roster. Granted, Baalke is a genius so he's right more often than the normal GM is right. This is not a post to trash Baalke. I love him. BUT.....

2011 ----- Aldon over JJ Watt, who was a known commodity
2012 ----- AJ Jenkins over Doug Martin and everyone else in round 2 who was rated higher
2013 ----- E Reid over Eifert, Rhodes, Sly Williams etc in a deep safety draft (webzone faves Cyprien, swearinger, Thomas can be had later)

We should have Watt, Doug Martin and Eifert on our roster. 3 guys I'm sure will be tops in their positions in the next 3 years. We seem to draft conservatively, to grab good to very good prospects. Yes, Aldon was a home run but Watt on this defense... Good god!!!

I'm not drinking the kool-aid on Reid. He's fast, can jump high, and is a good person. But to trade up and forgo BPA, especially when Safety is considered deep, was a waste of pick #74 IMO.
The best GM in football didn't panic... He waited patiently and grabbed Elam at #32. For all you doubters, see me next year when the short Elam is still making plays like he did in college, while we're busy trying to teach football "angles" to the #18th pick. Let me tell you something about angles in football. You either have it or you don't. Gore had it, Barlow didn't, so we kept Gore. Just cause Reid is fast and can jump high does not make him a natural football player. I think he can be solid. But you don't swing for solid in the 1st round.

DISCLAIMER: Baalke is so good rounds 2-7 and in getting extra picks that he makes up for not picking 3 blue chip players in 3 years when it was staring him in the face

Since when did your BPA list take precedence over their BPA list? Arrogance of these newby posters is unreal

This.

We have people complaining about a guy that had more sacks in his first two seasons than anyone in the history of the NFL since sacks became an official stat. This thread is proof that people will find fault with anything.

Yeah, I dub them "Cohn's"...
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Updated fan list

Big_Daddy - Ravens/ Florida Fan

oh snap! you update listed him
Baalke had his guy, he said on 49ers.com, on one of the pressers, he had a deal with Dallas Thursday morning, they agreed to the deal on basis our guy was there still, so obviously we went BPA and need with Reid.

Another Top 20 TE wouldn't work cap wise in a few years. Eifert will be an amazing TE, will miss him at ND, but he was never a real option for us. I trust baalke more then most other teams GMs and draft wannabe's. I am not bashing anyone, but Baalke and the FO know this s**t better then anyone, including OTC, MD, and yes myself, probably the worst thing I do is draft stuff, I am great at cap work, but the draft I still need help on.
Trent Baalke is about finding the best fits, not the best players. He finds which players are best for OUR team. Would Aldon have 33.5 sacks in 2 years with another team? Probably not. Does Colin Kaepernick break the all-time single-game QB rushing record on a different team? No.

We get caught up on which players we like the best, but talent that doesn't fit scheme is worthless. Doesn't matter how pretty the square peg is, it doesn't fit the round hole.
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
Trent Baalke is about finding the best fits, not the best players. He finds which players are best for OUR team. Would Aldon have 33.5 sacks in 2 years with another team? Probably not. Does Colin Kaepernick break the all-time single-game QB rushing record on a different team? No.

We get caught up on which players we like the best, but talent that doesn't fit scheme is worthless. Doesn't matter how pretty the square peg is, it doesn't fit the round hole.

Great post....

49ers like Safeties that are versatile and interchangeable......Reid can play both spots and he's good at guarding the deep ball
49ers don't like overpaying for 3-4 ends so they probably won't draft a guy in the 1st round like Watt and prefer to take Aldon
49ers like versatile TE's more like H-backs so they probably value Vance higher because he can be the joker deluxe for Greg Roman
3-4 teams need pass rushers and they are going to have a lot of competition in camp
When your team sucks and you have holes at every position best player available makes sense, when you are good and the team is stacked, you are drafting for need. Perhaps too many years of watching this team struggle has blind you to the difference between rebuilding and reloading, welcome to the new 49er paradigm.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
When your team sucks and you have holes at every position best player available makes sense, when you are good and the team is stacked, you are drafting for need. Perhaps too many years of watching this team struggle has blind you to the difference between rebuilding and reloading, welcome to the new 49er paradigm.

nobody is ever too good to throw away BPA
LOL... the best GM in football is the one who selected Eric Reid
BPA according to needs is what Baalke has explained a few times. For instance, if a team loses both of their starting corners in free agency, yet has a franchise QB, then they will stack the board with the top cover corner in the draft rated with the same rating or higher rating as the top franchise QB in the draft, yet end up taking the corner because they carried a similar rating yet corner was a huge need, where the potential franchise QB in the draft would have been a back-up for the next bunch of years.

Also, no one can prove what Trent had Eric Reid rated at. He might have had him as the 11th best player in the entire draft, with his top 10 all being picked, moved up when he saw that Reid lasted until 18th. If he indeed had Reid rated higher then other teams, its because filling the safety position was a high priority, while also just liking Reid a lot.

Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Kronos2560.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The sky is falling

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

nobody is ever too good to throw away BPA

Disagree. Hypothetical, what if at our first 3 picks MLB, QB and OT where the BPA on the board? It wouldn't make any sense to draft like that, we have firmly entrenched starters at those positions right now and we would be neglecting areas that could have rookies come in and contribute right away. Especially when the current team is SB caliber already and only had a couple areas of actual need.

I think Trent took into account need and BPA and found a good intersection between the two.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There is not one universal draft board. Every team sets its on board, which is the same as saying each team determines its ranking of best players.

What exactly does Best Player Available mean, if every team has a different draft board.
In determining best player, you have to look at physical capabilities, football skills, and character issues.
Each team gives these factors different weights.

The notion of drafting BPA is hardly simplistic.

I have argued that the basic concept is best player available at a position of need and that has the skill set required by the team's schematic approach.

Baalke had this to say about this draft--a draft he thinks was not typical.

"No. I thought, when we talked prior to the draft, there wasn't, typical drafts there's probably a larger pool of what you would consider marquee players. But at the same time, we felt there was a very big group, large group, of that next-level of player. And any time you get that, you're going to have teams that are able to address need, probably more so than best player available because in a draft like this, the players available are very close to one another. So, you're going to address need in those situations and I think that's what a lot of teams did, us included."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/04/25/baalke-transcript-reid-played-the-type-of-ball-we-wanted-to-see-out-of-a-safety/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
Since when did your BPA list take precedence over their BPA list? Arrogance of these newby posters is unreal

It is not just the new poster who do this.
Share 49ersWebzone