LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Baalke clearly does not like BPA... Especially in 1st round

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Baalke does not purely draft BPA.... I've often read that drafting for need over BPA was the quickest way to mess up a roster. Granted, Baalke is a genius so he's right more often than the normal GM is right. This is not a post to trash Baalke. I love him. BUT.....

2011 ----- Aldon over JJ Watt, who was a known commodity
2012 ----- AJ Jenkins over Doug Martin and everyone else in round 2 who was rated higher
2013 ----- E Reid over Eifert, Rhodes, Sly Williams etc in a deep safety draft (webzone faves Cyprien, swearinger, Thomas can be had later)

We should have Watt, Doug Martin and Eifert on our roster. 3 guys I'm sure will be tops in their positions in the next 3 years. We seem to draft conservatively, to grab good to very good prospects. Yes, Aldon was a home run but Watt on this defense... Good god!!!

I'm not drinking the kool-aid on Reid. He's fast, can jump high, and is a good person. But to trade up and forgo BPA, especially when Safety is considered deep, was a waste of pick #74 IMO.
The best GM in football didn't panic... He waited patiently and grabbed Elam at #32. For all you doubters, see me next year when the short Elam is still making plays like he did in college, while we're busy trying to teach football "angles" to the #18th pick. Let me tell you something about angles in football. You either have it or you don't. Gore had it, Barlow didn't, so we kept Gore. Just cause Reid is fast and can jump high does not make him a natural football player. I think he can be solid. But you don't swing for solid in the 1st round.

DISCLAIMER: Baalke is so good rounds 2-7 and in getting extra picks that he makes up for not picking 3 blue chip players in 3 years when it was staring him in the face
posts like this make me LOL
  • thl408
A contender is not likely to pick BPA. Only true rebuilding teams should take BPA. Also, you don't trade up to take BPA. You trade up to pick a player that your scouting department has targeted.
The league is changing. It's very hard to ask a 5'10 safety like Matt Elam to match up with a 6'5 tight end. It isn't bad enough that we have Whitner who can't cover Tight ends?
A lot of mocks and analysts had Aldon rated higher than Watt prior to the draft. In almost all scenarios Smith was going ahead of him. Most of them had him going to Houston.

We were also set at DE with Smith and McDonald.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
A lot of mocks and analysts had Aldon rated higher than Watt prior to the draft. In almost all scenarios Smith was going ahead of him. Most of them had him going to Houston.

We were also set at DE with Smith and McDonald.

Plus they've only been in the league for TWO YEARS! Aldon clearly had the better rookie year, JJ had a better year last year, but Aldon was still a first team all-pro and has made the most sacks in his first two years since they started recording them.. Who's to say that JJ is going to have the better career at this point?
I want a blow job
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
How do you know those guys weren't BPA according to the 49ers draft board? As you well know, there isn't ONE master draft board that says "this" player or "that" player is BPA at any given draft slot. Each team creates their own board based on their evaluation methods, scheme fit, character/injury issues, potential, etc., etc., etc. So they could very well be going BPA, but just not according to how you or others see it.

this
The title of this thread should be - "Balke clearly does not like my (or substitute your own draft guru's) BPA" . I can only feel that anyone - who thinks choosing people to be a member of a group activity is an objective decision based solely on factual, clear, unbiased and uniform criteria - is the sole inhabitant of an alternate reality.
[ Edited by ColdFan on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM ]
"Trick, don't kill my vibe, trick don't kill my vibe"
Consensus FS was Vacarro , and my brother in Dallas and a Horn fan said he was not first round material. I noticed baalke didn't take the consensus pick at FS, Vacarro. He did take Reid a few picks later. Why? Because baalke is one of that rare breed that knows talent. We got the BEST FS out there, thank you trent.
As to the BPA vs need theory of drafting, when you have a loaded team , are ready for your 3rd run at a SB in 3 yrs, sure, maybe you do draft for need, but only if the player is close to BPA, or is one of the BPAs. Commentators mentioned several times that when drafting BPA and need factors in, you are choosing player on basis of both methods which happen to intersect. You can say that about most of the players we drafted. So it's a little bit of some and a little bit of the other. It seems that is what baalke has been doing since coming here. I sure hope he is getting paid well...and if not, pay him well...which is what the best deserves.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
How do you know those guys weren't BPA according to the 49ers draft board? As you well know, there isn't ONE master draft board that says "this" player or "that" player is BPA at any given draft slot. Each team creates their own board based on their evaluation methods, scheme fit, character/injury issues, potential, etc., etc., etc. So they could very well be going BPA, but just not according to how you or others see it.

this

Bingo.
Whatever his philosophy is...I like it.
As for not drafting BPA, it has been said that that baalke drafts for the following yr. Well, let's see what AJ can do this yr before making any decisions. LMJ? He was a stud pick. My money is on AJ turning everybody's heads, but last yr he was one yr away. Anybody really think baalke didn't know that?
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Bottom line? CHILL OUT.

This x1000, so many spazzes that couldn't get a job cleaning out an NFL locker room but profess to know better than the people whose actual jobs and livelihoods are on the line when making these decisions.

It's BPA on WalterFootball.com DUH........that's the known end-all, be-all of draft-ology.
Share 49ersWebzone