There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
everyone hates on donte but the dude is a smart player and hes tough as nails

Dude.. That is me.. I don't hate on donte because i really dislike him and why? He is really suck a defense and bad to read the wrong to run the way.. He is s**t too slow to run.. They believed me when spread to people hate on donte cuz that's me. They believed me and supported me cuz i am a true 49ers fans..
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
everybody blows coverages sometimes tho. goldson let people catch the ball in front of him so he could hit them instead of trying to break it up most of the time

Yes, going for the big hit when a sure stop would have been the thing to do! Whitner has many fine attributes but speed is not one of them. When teams can expose him the defense falters.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Week_1_Packers_vs_49ers_highlights/07540387-6304-4edb-a004-87f90e879c6e

You should check it out at 1:09 to 1:13 that Whitner is wrong to read the offense that he run over him then too slow to tackle on Finley on TD... How many i tell you? i told you many time.. He can't read the offense score and wrong to run cuz he is too slow to run! ... I am laughing at u all those comment.. u blind on whitner and else player too.. dude.. I have pretty good my eyes cuz i have talent and know how wins games!

Well frankly, Cox should have made the tackle.
NOBODY!!!! should be hating on Whitner. But, it's fair to analyze his game/abilities and how he fits in OUR defense:

The Good:
  • This is a seaoned veteran in OUR offense and he is going to make a play or two a game that reminds you of this
  • He has devoted a LOT more time to helping Reid along than we realize
  • He's a pretty sure tackler when playing downhill especially
  • He hits much harder than his size
  • He's a very goiod communicator with the rest of his teammates and is a vocal leader for us
  • He can play a good deeper center fielder while also playing effectively in the box
  • Play recognition is above average
  • He has a nose for the ball when it's on the turf

The Bad:
  • He's old, slow and certainly not quick. Defenders are typically behind him and laterally, he is usually in a trail mode
  • He's short and has zero leaping ability
  • At this point in his career, he is more of a one-dimensional player who plays best down hill with everything in front of him
  • Can you name the last time he knocked down a pass or got an INT?
  • He is susceptible to some coverage brain farts
  • He has next to no range for coverage and it's even easier to see on deep sideline passes where he (and Goldson last year) were ALWAYS late leaving our CB's widely exposed
  • He's a major target in the RZ for offenses; 13 TD's last year alone and was a major assignment on the first 3 TD's in the Superbowl. Think about that for a second. Also, this is a defense that prides itself on NOT giving up the big play. He gives up the biggest plays
  • He's a major liability in coverage no matter what the matchup is, even with underneath help from Willis/Bowman
  • He made a wonderful play highlighted in the video above but fans fail to acknowledge that while he was in proper coverage/assignment, he was behind his WR 30 yards down the field, never turned around and the catch was made 2 feet over him. Had that been ANYWHERE else in the field, it's an easy TD and QB's are looking for that matchup on him every time. His veteran savy saved him here (good recovery), no doubt
  • The SS and FS positions in our 3-4 defense are supposed to be interchangeable. You can see how limited Whitner is compared to the skill set of even Reid. For now, we will have to play them both very differently

The Coaching/Scheme:
  • Like playing Nnamdi 15 yards off WR's, putting Whitner on a slot TE or WR in the RZ is an automatic mismatch and TD every single time, even with underneath help by the ILB's. So why do it time and time again while expecting different results? Isn't that the definition of insanity?
  • This year, Fangio has shifted his role. Now, Whitner (at least in the GB game) played DEEP center field and provided support when needed and allowed Reid to play under him and be the playmaker. This was a very smart move. Essentially, he was the 11th man and there if needed while the other 10 played 10on10 (exclude the QB unless he scrambles)

Bottom Line:
  • The bottom line is he's a veteran leader retained to help bring Reid along in our defense but one who is also a liability in coverage and one we need to cover up or disguise better esp. in the RZ. You can pretty much safely assume he will be gone next year (and he knows this). He will give us vocal leadership and everything he has this year though and is probably one of the most respected players we have in that locker room. He's a great character guy and I'm proud he's a Niner...for one more year!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
NOBODY!!!! should be hating on Whitner. But, it's fair to analyze his game/abilities and how he fits in OUR defense:

The Good:
  • This is a seaoned veteran in OUR offense and he is going to make a play or two a game that reminds you of this
  • He has devoted a LOT more time to helping Reid along than we realize
  • He's a pretty sure tackler when playing downhill especially
  • He hits much harder than his size
  • He's a very goiod communicator with the rest of his teammates and is a vocal leader for us
  • He can play a good deeper center fielder while also playing effectively in the box
  • Play recognition is above average
  • He has a nose for the ball when it's on the turf

The Bad:
  • He's old, slow and certainly not quick. Defenders are typically behind him and laterally, he is usually in a trail mode
  • He's short and has zero leaping ability
  • At this point in his career, he is more of a one-dimensional player who plays best down hill with everything in front of him
  • Can you name the last time he knocked down a pass or got an INT?
  • He is susceptible to some coverage brain farts
  • He has next to no range for coverage and it's even easier to see on deep sideline passes where he (and Goldson last year) were ALWAYS late leaving our CB's widely exposed
  • He's a major target in the RZ for offenses; 13 TD's last year alone and was a major assignment on the first 3 TD's in the Superbowl. Think about that for a second. Also, this is a defense that prides itself on NOT giving up the big play. He gives up the biggest plays
  • He's a major liability in coverage no matter what the matchup is, even with underneath help from Willis/Bowman
  • He made a wonderful play highlighted in the video above but fans fail to acknowledge that while he was in proper coverage/assignment, he was behind his WR 30 yards down the field, never turned around and the catch was made 2 feet over him. Had that been ANYWHERE else in the field, it's an easy TD and QB's are looking for that matchup on him every time. His veteran savy saved him here (good recovery), no doubt
  • The SS and FS positions in our 3-4 defense are supposed to be interchangeable. You can see how limited Whitner is compared to the skill set of even Reid. For now, we will have to play them both very differently

The Coaching/Scheme:
  • Like playing Nnamdi 15 yards off WR's, putting Whitner on a slot TE or WR in the RZ is an automatic mismatch and TD every single time, even with underneath help by the ILB's. So why do it time and time again while expecting different results? Isn't that the definition of insanity?
  • This year, Fangio has shifted his role. Now, Whitner (at least in the GB game) played DEEP center field and provided support when needed and allowed Reid to play under him and be the playmaker. This was a very smart move. Essentially, he was the 11th man and there if needed while the other 10 played 10on10 (exclude the QB unless he scrambles)

Bottom Line:
  • The bottom line is he's a veteran leader retained to help bring Reid along in our defense but one who is also a liability in coverage and one we need to cover up or disguise better esp. in the RZ. You can pretty much safely assume he will be gone next year (and he knows this). He will give us vocal leadership and everything he has this year though and is probably one of the most respected players we have in that locker room. He's a great character guy and I'm proud he's a Niner...for one more year!

Donte is 28, runs a 4.4 40, had a respeactable 36 inch vertical. Pretty accurate otherwise. Don't understand the hate really, I think Gold$on was a bigger liability with all the going for the hit instead of playing the ball and knucklehead penalties.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Donte is 28, runs a 4.4 40, had a respeactable 36 inch vertical. Pretty accurate otherwise. Don't understand the hate really, I think Gold$on was a bigger liability with all the going for the hit instead of playing the ball and knucklehead penalties.

A 4.4 40? LOL. Come on man. That said, nobody should be hating! Some of this is just a reflection of the other guys around him as well and we should keep that in mind. We can ignore any negatives we want b/c we like him but it's not a reality on the field, esp. last year. I like how Fangio is playing him now though! We'll get better results this way IMHO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM ]

If that's old and slow, Anquan Boldin must be ancient and sluggish.
^^^ if you guys disagree, provide your own analysis of him.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Week_1_Packers_vs_49ers_highlights/07540387-6304-4edb-a004-87f90e879c6e

You should check it out at 1:09 to 1:13 that Whitner is wrong to read the offense that he run over him then too slow to tackle on Finley on TD... How many i tell you? i told you many time.. He can't read the offense score and wrong to run cuz he is too slow to run! ... I am laughing at u all those comment.. u blind on whitner and else player too.. dude.. I have pretty good my eyes cuz i have talent and know how wins games!

Well frankly, Cox should have made the tackle.

Yeah I know. Cox is not much plays that is why. Sometime CB can't beat on TE because they are not strong a tackle enough and afraid tackle on TE? Probably like Cox..

A 4.4 40? LOL. Come on man. That said, nobody should be hating! Some of this is just a reflection of the other guys around him as well and we should keep that in mind. We can ignore any negatives we want b/c we like him but it's not a reality on the field, esp. last year. I like how Fangio is playing him now though! We'll get better results this way IMHO.

He looked pretty fast against the saints on his pick-six and he has great down hill acceleration, Whitner , Goldson and Culliver all suffer from a major lack of ball awareness or the ability to track the ball in the air. It's the reason we lost the big game but on the bright side Eric Reid could be the real deal.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
He looked pretty fast against the saints on his pick-six and he has great down hill acceleration, Whitner , Goldson and Culliver all suffer from a major lack of ball awareness or the ability to track the ball in the air. It's the reason we lost the big game but on the bright side Eric Reid could be the real deal.

True, he is a good down hill SS (I did note that). No make-up speed and esp. lateral speed (ala Reid). That dude just shows how critical S play is. He's a keeper and he has tremendous upside/work ethic! I'm glad Whitner, a true professional, is there to bring him along the proper 49er-way!
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

This. He is anything but slow. The knock on Donte has always been ball skills.
True, he is a good down hill SS (I did note that). No make-up speed and esp. lateral speed (ala Reid). That dude just shows how critical S play is. He's a keeper and he has tremendous upside/work ethic! I'm glad Whitner, a true professional, is there to bring him along the proper 49er-way!

Totally agree, great mentor for Reid who is an intellectual safety himself!
Totally agree, great mentor for Reid who is an intellectual safety himself!

Good in-straightline speed but very slow laterally and often times is in the trail position despite starting in a deep position (not d/t lack of speed per se but slow to recognize a deep route with no makeup speed); like how he was trailing the TE Finnley @ the 4:34 mark of 3Q (his highlight) 30 yards down field.