There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Good stuff. Have to wonder whether we re-sign Whitner.

christ I hope not. Whitner is a liability
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
thy tits, calm them.

I think we kept Whitner this year because we didn't want to have 2 rookies at S. Also, bet we felt Whitner would be a great teacher for Reid and to me he is. Whitner had a pretty good year for us in 2011 but 2012 he fell off. He should be able to find another job if we don't re-sign him. I think we will move on with a rookie in the 1st or 2nd round next year. We are getting younger and trying to save money for our future (Kap, Aldon, etc). It might mean not re-signing solid players like Goodwin and vets like Whitner but it's what we have to do. We did the same with Haralson, Jennings, Goldson, Walker, Sopoaga, etc. We are getting younger and finding the best value for our money. Some times it's tough but it has to be done.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think we kept Whitner this year because we didn't want to have 2 rookies at S. Also, bet we felt Whitner would be a great teacher for Reid and to me he is. Whitner had a pretty good year for us in 2011 but 2012 he fell off. He should be able to find another job if we don't re-sign him. I think we will move on with a rookie in the 1st or 2nd round next year. We are getting younger and trying to save money for our future (Kap, Aldon, etc). It might mean not re-signing solid players like Goodwin and vets like Whitner but it's what we have to do. We did the same with Haralson, Jennings, Goldson, Walker, Sopoaga, etc. We are getting younger and finding the best value for our money. Some times it's tough but it has to be done.

True.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am just not a big fan, no matter how many hits he has or how many pro bowls he makes, of people who extend drives for the other team with foolish penalties. Not sure why people have to resort to name calling, caps and alex smith when someone disagrees with ones point of view

Goldson was a guy I either loved or hated depending on what he did the last play. A great hit would motivate the D and then hitting a player already on the ground would give the other team a first down...just not smart play by a guy who should have known better.

As far as intelligence goes, I've been bowled over by the DBs on this team. They all seem to be articulate and bright, despite the occasional dumb plays. Whitner is a leader with diminishing skills, so it's difficult for me to decide when they need to let him go...other than--when they have a better player behind him. When Reid is a bit more experienced he may wear the mic and assume those leadership duties and Whitner will be more expendable.
I agree that the team views Whitner as mediocre, and will probably seek to replace him, rather than extending his contract. In July, he tweeted this two messages:
TWHITNER ‏@DonteWhitner
I love the Niners! But will I be here next yr?

TWHITNER ‏@DonteWhitner
Don't get it twisted! I WANT to be here.....

Now, this is probably a stretch and is complete speculation, but... I wonder if Whitner / his agent reached out to the front office and expressed interest in an extension, but the 49ers weren't receptive to the idea and told them they'd discuss it after the season.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
I agree that the team views Whitner as mediocre, and will probably seek to replace him, rather than extending his contract. In July, he tweeted this two messages:
TWHITNER ‏@DonteWhitner
I love the Niners! But will I be here next yr?

TWHITNER ‏@DonteWhitner
Don't get it twisted! I WANT to be here.....

Now, this is probably a stretch and is complete speculation, but... I wonder if Whitner / his agent reached out to the front office and expressed interest in an extension, but the 49ers weren't receptive to the idea and told them they'd discuss it after the season.

Or it could be normal paranoia of a veteran player knowing his value is tenuous...and transitory.

If you look for weak links on this team Whitner would be one of the first guys to come to mind. Whitner, Goodwin, NT, and WR are the main areas I would think we will target next off-season--then CB and backup QB (unless McCoy looks good).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8M8cCqoYw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgg9E_Hnbz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GpM1kB2Gc

I watched a little film on a lot of prospects before the draft but wanted to go in depth for the guys we drafted. Just my thoughts:

-excellent closing speed. Shows a lot of explosion. In the run game especially. If we wanted to creep him up towards the line and send him on a blitz we can do that but we don't really do that. A few times seen him come up and miss on the tackle. Closing speed is great but you have to make sure you are under control. Example (a gunner on a punt who comes flying in and could make the tackle for no gain as he catches the punt but is so out of control he flys right by or the defender easily jukes him because he didn't get under control and break down).

-Pretty good tackler especially when he wraps up but seen way too many times where he doesn't wrap up and just throws a shoulder. Lucky for them most of the time it didn't hurt them, a few times seen where it cost them. Still, no excuse as doing that once could cost you a game or a season. Almost like he threw his shoulder more than wrapped up... might cut it in college but not the nfl... have to work on that from day 1. Can hit hard... few times seen him have trouble bringing guys down because he was tackling too high. Can come up and hit rb's in the backfield. Seems like a pretty good run defender and should do well from day one in that area especially if the coaches teach him to always wrap up or at least square up. Once in awhile I seen poor angles in run defense but not to alarming from what I saw. Can't really comment on pass defense angles, didn't get a lot of looks there.

It's hard to see pass coverage in these videos but for the most part I thought he was solid. Seemed to do well in press or man coverage. Seemed to play center field nicely. I don't think he's an ed reed but i think the guy will be able to come in day one and be solid. he isn't goldson and will have a ways to go but if he can just hold his own and not be a weak link we should be fine. Seems to be ok in backpedaling, can be stiff at times in coverage though.

Seen one dropped int that was in his hands... so many defenders have bad hands these days though. Also, seen him catch 1 int that he played nicely in center field. Seen another with a nice run back. If he does get his hands on the ball he should be able to get us some nice return yards.

Summary: A good tackler especially when he wraps up but seems like more often than that he just throws a shoulder. Very quick and can close in a hurry. Can come up and tackle rb's in the backfield. Didn't miss too many tackles but in college throwing a should usually works, nfl not as much. Pretty good in press pass coverage, seems to be able to stay with his man. Seemed pretty good in center field as well but didnt get too many looks. Dropped some ints but when he does get them he should be able to get decent return yards. We don't really blitz much especially with our FS but if we wanted to he can get to the LOS very quickly and it's an option. Takes wrong angles in run defense and when covering at times but not at an alarming rate. I think he's a smart guy on and off the field and should be able to come in day one and do well in run coverage (assuming he starts wrapping up more) and solid in pass coverage. Can lay the wood but a few times seen him come up out of control and miss a tackle. Had trouble bringing down a rb or wr a few times, he can take them down with a full head of steam but straight up he gets driven back at times. I doubt he will fill Goldson's shoes this year, maybe a few years down the road he can hope to be nearly as good as him. I think if he can come in and hold his own we should be good. As long as he isn't a weak link. He played up real close at times and also played deep deep middle field a bunch. LSU seemed to keep everything in front of them like we do. Think Reid should be able to handle that.

My review from after we drafted him is quoted above. It's early but from what I saw in the pre-season and GB I hit most of it on the head. Excellent closing speed, especially in the run game. The coaches have had him work on his tackling. He is doing a pretty good job of using his arms to wrap up. He threw a shoulder more than he used his arms to tackle in college. Seen him do it once in the preseason and miss, the other time was an appropriate time to do it with the WR coming down with a pass on the sidelines. Don't think he did it in the GB game. Like I mentioned he can lay the wood and so far been really impressed in that they are all clean hits unlike Goldson. Seems to be able to patrol the middle well. I didn't get to see much from the games I watched so I was unsure of his coverage deep but I like what I see so far. He can usually stick with his man if he's in press or up on the wr. Seems like he will be able to hold his own in the run game. He has return skills so if he gets an INT look for him to get as many yards as possible like he showed against GB. He's very smart on and off the field and is a great young man. Like Whitner has said he doesn't make the same mistake twice. He might not be a 6 int a season guy but he should be a very good safety who we can rely on and not after to worry about being a liability. He has improved a lot from his first days in rookie camp and ota's.

I thought it could take a few years for him to equal what Goldson brought but he might be close to that by the end of the year. He might not be pro bowl Goldson year 1 but he should equal or be better than the down years Goldson this year.

Nailed it...you want to see closing speed and how critical it is from a S, watch him at the 5:41 mark of 4Q close in on Rodgers tackling him 5 yards short of what probably would have been a critical first down late in the game; Brown didn't even know what the blazing red flash was that flew by him, standing there flat footed. As for his deep coverage ability, for lack of a penalty and Rodgers heaving it up in the EZ, he did play the "ball" nicely (not the WR) and made the INT (again with Rogers standing there). In the end, in his first game, he didn't get beat deep against one of the best QB's in the game, made some terrific form tackles, got his first INT and was highlighted (free) in our defense. This was a very good first start and he can continue to get used to the speed of the NFL and take better angles and learn to use the sideline to his advantage. He or Whitner may have had inside coverage on the RZ TD on Nnamdi too.

What I found most interesting is that Fangio already sees that Reid is our playmaker. He had Reid underneath all game long free and roaming and playing down hill. On the other side, he had the slower Whitner DEEP in the secondary to keep everything in front of him and be that last line of defense. In short, Whitner was out of the play as would be Rodgers on offense so we essentially had 10 on 10. And we slightly won that war (lost a few battles). I would imagine we might see a similar look against Seattle unless Lynch establishes the run where we would have to move Whitner up closer in the box and rely more on Reid's deep coverage ability.
I think he knows. The funny thing is Donte Whitner is the weak link on THIS defense. On another defense, he's a pretty good player. He shouldn't have a problem getting a fair contract this offseason. I think he's smart enough to realize the writing is on the wall. Yet another reason I hope these guys wins. A ring for the holdovers from the Mike Nolan (Frank Gore, Adam Snyder, Vernon Davis), the ones who endured Sing dropping his pants in the locker room and the Jimmy Raye offense, as well as the vets who signed and helped to push us over the top like Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, and Johanthan Goodwin before we do a huge purge next offseason and in 2015.
Does anyone know if he won the rookie of the week award?
I don't know what the hel* is wrong with you people.

Whitner is a huge asset.
He has made major play after play after play for this team and continues to do so.
He is a force in the secondary and remains so.
He knows the game like an all pro.
He has made game changing/winning plays completely on his own in big games.

and....

HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A BALL HAWKING FREE SAFETY!!!!! Which is what you clowns are upset about, that he isn't a backfield hawk.

Get an education.

Anyway, Reid could turn out to be an all pro and that is OBVIOUS too....for anyone with a brain and/or understands football.
yea, these fools need to chill on the whitner hate. Dude is solid and a leader.
Everybody thinks Star Safeties are grown on trees or something. If we could have a better safety we would.
Somebody with espn Insider let us know what Kiper said about Reid. Dont give a damn about the link.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
yea, these fools need to chill on the whitner hate. Dude is solid and a leader.

Couldn't agree more. I can't possibly fathom how anyone could call Whitner a liability after Sundays game against the Packers. Without his heads up hit on the sideline at the end of the game to keep Cobb in bounds we probably lose the game. He's not the best SS in coverage but he's certainly better than he gets credit for on this site. He's our leader in the secondary and yet our own fans crap on the guy every chance they get.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Sep 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM ]