There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

If #Cowboys hadn't traded out of No. 18, they likely would've taken S Eric Reid, as Niners did. Felt trade was better value, got a S in rd 3

Impossible. I've been told by many reliable armchair GM's that Reid was a reach, despite sufficient evidence to the contrary.

Final Grade: F-

" reliable armchair GM's", I could've missed something but I hope that's sarcasm, if not
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Originally posted by olapac:
I wonder if they would have traded the pick if they knew we were taking Eric Reid at 18. I thought I read somewhere that Dallas traded back assuming he'd be there around 31 because several of the mocks had it playing out that way.
I read several articles that said the Giants,Bengals and Rams had Reid targeted at their pick. When the 49ers traded up and selected Reid the Rams decided to trade their pick to the Falcons. The Rams who were desperate for a safety eventually chose TJ McDonald. Reid is head and shoulders better then McDonald.

That's what makes this so funny to me - if the Cowboys thought that Reid would be available at 31 and that's why they traded down, and they didn't read the tea-leaves that not only did we want him, but that Giants, Bengals and Rams possibly wanted him as well, then it's no wonder they are struggling these days. Their "GM" is losing touch with reality.

It probably went like this:

Jerry Jones: Hey Baalke if we do this trade you guys promise not to pick Eric Reid OK, you promise??

Trent Baalke: (crosses fingers behind his back) I promise you Jerry would I lie to you??

Jerry Jones: Mmmmkay you promise, its a done deal!!!!

.....minutes later Roger Goodell steps up to the podium: With the 18th pick in 2013 NFL the San Francico 49ers select Safety Eric Reid.

Trent Baalke: Suckaz!!! Ain't nobody got time fo dis!!!!

Originally posted by Jcool:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

If #Cowboys hadn't traded out of No. 18, they likely would've taken S Eric Reid, as Niners did. Felt trade was better value, got a S in rd 3

Impossible. I've been told by many reliable armchair GM's that Reid was a reach, despite sufficient evidence to the contrary.

I don't have a sarcasm meter, so I'm just hoping because:

CBS Sports rating for Eric Reid: #2 safety in the draft
Draftteck Sports rating for Eric Reid: #2 safety in the draft
NFL.com (Mike Mayock): #4 (2 safeties rated above Reid only played Strong Safety)
Walter Football: #4 (2 safeties rated above Reid only played Strong Safety)
Jerry Jones had Anthony Davis as a Third Round Pick (the Zone had pictures of his Board)

I'll trust Baalke when it comes to these matters
[ Edited by wysiwyg on May 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM ]
Derp

http://thedctimes.com/tag/dallas-cowboys-draft-board/

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Jerry Jones had Anthony Davis as a Third Round Pick (the Zone had pictures of his Board)

They did have Bowman with a 1st round grade.....I kind of feel like a lot of teams had him ranked high however his character issues may have scared them off.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

They did have Bowman with a 1st round grade.....I kind of feel like a lot of teams had him ranked high however his character issues may have scared them off.

Another derp by the derpers

Another gem by the Baalkster

Originally posted by calinig4life:
" reliable armchair GM's", I could've missed something but I hope that's sarcasm, if not

Originally posted by GNielsen:

NFL.com (Mike Mayock): #4 (2 safeties rated above Reid only played Strong Safety)

Lulz. It's sarcasm.
@SofaKing

Okay, you got me. It's hard for me to recognize sometimes around here, but in your case, I should have known.
If this kid plays up to his 2011 type of season we 49ers fans are going to be very excited! So ready to see this kid on the field!
This pick was classic Baalke. He 100% zero's in on a "draft crush" and will do whatever it takes to get them.

Anthony Davis
Aldon Smith
AJ Jenkins
Eric Reid

Almost everyone thought they were a reach on draft day. And then later, reports surface that other teams were going to draft them just ahead or directly behind where the Niners picked that player. Spin?...you decide. Does Baalke suffer from pre-mature draftication?...very possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8M8cCqoYw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgg9E_Hnbz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GpM1kB2Gc

I watched a little film on a lot of prospects before the draft but wanted to go in depth for the guys we drafted. Just my thoughts:

-excellent closing speed. Shows a lot of explosion. In the run game especially. If we wanted to creep him up towards the line and send him on a blitz we can do that but we don't really do that. A few times seen him come up and miss on the tackle. Closing speed is great but you have to make sure you are under control. Example (a gunner on a punt who comes flying in and could make the tackle for no gain as he catche the punt but is so out of control he flys right by or the defender easily jukes him because he didn't get under control and break down).

-Pretty good tackler especially when he wraps up but seen way too many times where he doesn't wrap up and just throws a shoulder. Lucky for them most of the time it didn't hurt them, a few times seen where it cost them. Still, no excuse as doing that once could cost you a game or a season. Almost like he threw his shoulder more than wrapped up... might cut it in college but not the nfl... have to work on that from day 1. Can hit hard... few times seen him have trouble bringing guys down because he was tackling too high. Can come up and hit rb's in the backfield. Seems like a pretty good run defender and should do well from day one in that area especially if the coaches teach him to always wrap up or at least square up. Once in awhile I seen poor angles in run defense but not to alarming from what I saw. Can't really comment on pass defense angles, didn't get a lot of looks there.

It's hard to see pass coverage in these videos but for the most part I thought he was solid. Seemed to do well in press or man coverage. Seemed to play center field nicely. I don't think he's an ed reed but i think the guy will be able to come in day one and be solid. he isn't goldson and will have a ways to go but if he can just hold his own and not be a weak link we should be fine. Seems to be ok in backpedaling, can be stiff at times in coverage though.

Seen one dropped int that was in his hands... so many defenders have bad hands these days though. Also, seen him catch 1 int that he played nicely in center field. Seen another with a nice run back. If he does get his hands on the ball he should be able to get us some nice return yards.

Summary: A good tackler especially when he wraps up but seems like more often than that he just throws a shoulder. Very quick and can close in a hurry. Can come up and tackle rb's in the backfield. Didn't miss too many tackles but in college throwing a should usually works, nfl not as much. Pretty good in press pass coverage, seems to be able to stay with his man. Seemed pretty good in center field as well but didnt get too many looks. Dropped some ints but when he does get them he should be able to get decent return yards. We don't really blitz much especially with our FS but if we wanted to he can get to the LOS very quickly and it's an option. Takes wrong angles in run defense and when covering at times but not at an alarming rate. I think he's a smart guy on and off the field and should be able to come in day one and do well in run coverage (assuming he starts wrapping up more) and solid in pass coverage. Can lay the wood but a few times seen him come up out of control and miss a tackle. Had trouble bringing down a rb or wr a few times, he can take them down with a full head of steam but straight up he gets driven back at times. I doubt he will fill Goldson's shoes this year, maybe a few years down the road he can hope to be nearly as good as him. I think if he can come in and hold his own we should be good. As long as he isn't a weak link. He played up real close at times and also played deep deep middle field a bunch. LSU seemed to keep everything in front of them like we do. Think Reid should be able to handle that.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
it is nice to see so many people coming on board and are not afraid to start this kid in game one. i know whitten fell out of favor with many fans last year but he is what we have at this point in time.I think he and the kid will start, we got dahl who is a respectable back up and some other guys who will duke it out for the remaining spots. I am also glad the blather to cut whitten and sign over rated woodson has died down as well.
Originally posted by cciowa:
it is nice to see so many people coming on board and are not afraid to start this kid in game one. i know whitten fell out of favor with many fans last year but he is what we have at this point in time.I think he and the kid will start, we got dahl who is a respectable back up and some other guys who will duke it out for the remaining spots. I am also glad the blather to cut whitten and sign over rated woodson has died down as well.

He's not the starter yet...hopefully he can and not turn into a AJ 2.0

Originally posted by calinig4life:

Originally posted by GNielsen:

Lulz. It's sarcasm.

And so well concealed!! Who'd have guessed?