There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Found out we trade #31 N #93 for #18... not #74 like I heard N was told ...sports center draft special was talking about cowgirls second day picks N had #93 not #74...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Found out we trade #31 N #93 for #18... not #74 like I heard N was told ...sports center draft special was talking about cowgirls second day picks N had #93 not #74...

You're right, this is brilliant!
This is a great pick. He's a smart safety, and that's what we want.
I don't care what you think about Reid, you've got to admit that this play is f**king juicy! To have a defensive back who can simply snatch the ball away like that.....

He went straight ODB on Michael Williams, like "b***h, give me my money!"

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM ]
And number "1" is available now that Troy is gone...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Just because a player is on the filed 100% of the time, doesn't necessarily equte to him him having the greatest positive impact on the team.

It is not my intention to get anyone riled up, NC. We all have out opinions. I don't hold to the theory that because Baalke made a choice, it was necessarily superior to all other choices that could have been made. Nor do I think kindly of those that take cheap shots at posters who happen to question the choices made. I know that you don't.

Let's hypothesize that Reid is indeed the best Safety out there. Let's say he would not have been there at #34. One would have to look at what the fall off in production would have been, had the Niners got the next best safety later in the draft. #34 or later, against what they would have had with Reid. Then measure that loss against the increase in production gleaned off an alternative pick at #18. Right? So it's the net drop or increase in impact under alternate scenarios that we're looking at, not the absolute impact tha reid will have (even that would be a guess at this point).

Others may disagree, but here's how I feel:

1. A big upgrade in our DL (Floyd, D.Jones), irrespective of how many snaps he plays, would result in a net increase in postive impact over having Reid instead of the next best available FS say Cyprien (there are many knowledgable people who feel he's better, bu that's another matter altogether).

2. Having a rare talent on offense (Eifert), irrespective of how many snaps he plays, would result a similar enhanced net benefit over a lesser free safety.

3. Reid is not in that rarified category of once-in-a lifetime safeties that an equivalent or near equivalent (or better) safety selected in round 2 cannot fill the Niners safety needs with near equal (even better) efficiency.

That's my opinion. I can respect that you have a different one. Sorry to be a bit long winded, but you asked . . . twice.

However, it is as transpired and I'm happy to look forward to what gives today.

No, I really appreciate this post and you putting your thoughts out there like this. This objectivity was exactly what I was looking for. I certainly can understand what direction you were coming from. And to be humble about it, I never specifically created a mock based on what "I" thought we should do...play GM...rather what I thought our actual GM would do. In most cases, I find up aligning but naturally, not 100%. I appreciate (quality) alternative views b/c it helps round out a complete conversation of scenarios...helps cover all the bases.

I can let others offer up why the positive value of Reid outweighs your potential alternative choices/moves. But to be upfront, I had Cyprien as a close 2nd as well but recognizing, Reid had the most upside and seemed to fit our system much better. Why? I pay very close attention to what Baalke says.

In a nutshell, he said recently was that he wanted bigger, taller DB's and he specifically, wanted S's who can play both positions. When I looked at why we didn't win the Superbowl, these two points (small, weak CB's who got outmuscled esp, in critical situations and S's who were blowing coverages and giving up 3 easy TD's) it was clear, Reid was the no-brainer pick (to me) and as a result, the FO's positive value (graded as their #1 S), was off the charts, so their drop off to Cyprien/Elam was pretty significant. Coupled with the ammo they had and the deal they got with Dallas, it made perfect sense in the end.

But I digress...really appreciate your response and no matter what conviction one has, I/we can see these other scenarios as well.

Hey, thank you for your kind words. I agree with where you're coming from.

Ironically, the main reason why I liked Cyprien was that, from the reports, he was good in coverage and a sure and vicious tackler (something that Reid showed a weakness in last year; Reid had a fall off in 2012 from 2011, when he he was elite). That is why some analysts preferred Cyprien. However, and from what your insights also, I am happy with Reid being a Niner. He seems to be of high character and intelligence. There's much to be said for that.

Now waiting for the Niners to strike in rounds 3 and 4. I smell a trade.
Not to jump too early to any conclusions...

But the deal kinda reminds me of another deal the forty niners once made:

"New England gave up the 16th overall pick in exchange for the 49ers' 28th and 56th overall picks (the teams also swapped third-round picks). It appears a fair deal for both sides, until you look at whom the 49ers traded up to select - Jerry Rice."

Not to say that Eric Reid is Jerry Rice... but he seems to have a similar start:

As expected, the San Francisco 49ers maneuvered up the board in Round 1, trading the No. 31 and No. 93 (corrected) overall picks to the Dallas Cowboys at No. 18.
In the middle of the first round, Trent Baalke took care of the team's biggest need, which was on the back end at safety.... Eric Reid.
[ Edited by McSlayer on May 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

You're right, this is brilliant!

I luv tha pick of Reid N now founding out we still got #74 makes it a A grade draft start...N boy did tha cowgirls reach with fredrick most have him as early 3rd round ...

Ironically, the main reason why I liked Cyprien was that, from the reports, he was good in coverage and a sure and vicious tackler (something that Reid showed a weakness in last year; Reid had a fall off in 2012 from 2011, when he he was elite). That is why some analysts preferred Cyprien. However, and from what your insights also, I am happy with Reid being a Niner. He seems to be of high character and intelligence. There's much to be said for that.

Was thinking about Reid's falling off last year and believe it may have been from pressing after such a good year previously. If so, I believe the 9er coaches will take care of that. I agree that a trade seems really likely.
Are you guys sure we still have 74? NFL.com and ESPN still have the Cowboys at 74 and us at 93.

No worries and backatcha. And YES, I don't think we're done at S. The first person Reid wanted to talk to was SS Donte Whitner. Don't want to read too far into that BUT perhaps, we still go for a more pure cover FS soon as well. This is another area we really struggled in last year esp. when it mattered. Baalke, work your magic!
Originally posted by NCommand:
No worries and backatcha. And YES, I don't think we're done at S. The first person Reid wanted to talk to was SS Donte Whitner. Don't want to read too far into that BUT perhaps, we still go for a more pure cover FS soon as well. This is another area we really struggled in last year esp. when it mattered. Baalke, work your magic!

Josh Evans....his coverage skills allowed Elam to fly around and wreak havoc, very good deep cover guy. Duke Williams is another that is kind of a hybrid but has very strong man coverage skills.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Maybe bad news on Team Carradine. According to USA Today, some people in the NFL say that his knee at the combine re-check does not look very good. Similar to what they saw on D. Bowers. I can see the team passing on him because of the medicals, especially if they want an immediate impact player.

Medicals are always the wildcard for any evaluator, especially ACL injuries. Only teams have access to these, so it does skew how teams view certain players.

Smokescreen? Could Tank have run a 4.75 on a bad knee?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Smokescreen? Could Tank have run a 4.75 on a bad knee?

He didn't run a 4.75, that was reported by a sports writer from Cincy. His actual recorded time was like a 4.9, which coming off a recent ACL injury, isn't bad at all.