There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
A bit off topic, but am I the only guy that thinks that Culliver is not for long with the Niners. Quite apart from laking marbles, he seems like a chronic disgruntled type. He took a swipe at the organization about the Niners being disingenuous when they were "negotiating" with Goldson. Niners better start drafting CBs now. They're gonna need several replacement real soon, beginning next year.

I really doubt that Whitner goes this year. It would be too traumatic for the team's backfield. But I do hope that an upgrade is in order for next year.

Still have the nagging sense that someone more impactful could have been had at #18. I have to say, that while I'm still not 100% with where the pick occured (hate giving up the #74), I do feel better about it with hearing what some others, whose opinions I respect, being so high on the guy.

Unless it's a pass rusher, ala Aldon Smith, who puts up 15 sacks while taking 50% of the snaps, I can't envision a more impactful player vs. someone like Reid who will be on the field 100% of the time.

Yeah, Culliver, seems like a great talent who needs to hone his skills a bit more but man, mentally, he needs counseling and an education. His mentality helps him stay angry on the field but clearly, something isn't adding up here.

Whitner? Who knows...we only have 1M to sign rookies right now and he or Goodwin could be one of those picks to go June 1st, sadly. That and b/c his coverage was horrendous last year and ultimately, cost us the Superbowl.

Just because a player is on the filed 100% of the time, doesn't necessarily equte to him him having the greatest positive impact on the team.

It is not my intention to get anyone riled up, NC. We all have out opinions. I don't hold to the theory that because Baalke made a choice, it was necessarily superior to all other choices that could have been made. Nor do I think kindly of those that take cheap shots at posters who happen to question the choices made. I know that you don't.

Let's hypothesize that Reid is indeed the best Safety out there. Let's say he would not have been there at #34. One would have to look at what the fall off in production would have been, had the Niners got the next best safety later in the draft. #34 or later, against what they would have had with Reid. Then measure that loss against the increase in production gleaned off an alternative pick at #18. Right? So it's the net drop or increase in impact under alternate scenarios that we're looking at, not the absolute impact tha reid will have (even that would be a guess at this point).

Others may disagree, but here's how I feel:

1. A big upgrade in our DL (Floyd, D.Jones), irrespective of how many snaps he plays, would result in a net increase in postive impact over having Reid instead of the next best available FS say Cyprien (there are many knowledgable people who feel he's better, bu that's another matter altogether).

2. Having a rare talent on offense (Eifert), irrespective of how many snaps he plays, would result a similar enhanced net benefit over a lesser free safety.

3. Reid is not in that rarified category of once-in-a lifetime safeties that an equivalent or near equivalent (or better) safety selected in round 2 cannot fill the Niners safety needs with near equal (even better) efficiency.

That's my opinion. I can respect that you have a different one. Sorry to be a bit long winded, but you asked . . . twice.

However, it is as transpired and I'm happy to look forward to what gives today.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
GO NINERS! Haven't been thrilled with the idea of starting a rookie FS but at least we got the best safety available. The Packers, Falcons, and Taints are going to test this kid big time right out of the gates so I hope he's ready to elevate his game. He comes off as a very smart guy and claims to be a cerebral player so I feel good about him developing fairly quick. He's going to have to because this team is playing for a championship!

Doubt he will start

Who's starting Dahl? He was drafted 18th on a team needing a fs so he better start, Enough of the bs redshirting. He's a rookie so yes he'll take his bumps but he'll be surrounded by consecutive pro bowlers with a defensive coaching staff who knows what they're doing. He's not counted on like milliner to be the 2nd coming of a potential HOF player.
Originally posted by smithc28:
I was a bit disappointed at first but with thinking about I think this was the safest pick Baalke could make.

He's got a great character, I heard in the chick fil a bowl that every year he writes his goals down for what he wants to achieve at the and of the year and he hasn't missed yet.

Guaranteed to be a starter for the next few years, most of the rest taken after him have a great possibility of being a bust whereas with Reid barr injury this guy will make it in the NFL.

If he starts day one at FS, teams will definitely go at him, so we'll know pretty quickly if he's up to the task or not. Long term, I think he'll be a solid SS but I'm personally not sure he projects as a play-making FS.
Welcome to Mr. Reid...Good luck to you also
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Welp, as an Arkansas Razorback, I need to say this one last time and be done with it.

We drafted a Corn Dog from LSU. But, he is a baller and now is a 49er.

Good luck to him!
[ Edited by fropwns on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
GO NINERS! Haven't been thrilled with the idea of starting a rookie FS but at least we got the best safety available. The Packers, Falcons, and Taints are going to test this kid big time right out of the gates so I hope he's ready to elevate his game. He comes off as a very smart guy and claims to be a cerebral player so I feel good about him developing fairly quick. He's going to have to because this team is playing for a championship!

Doubt he will start

Who's starting Dahl? He was drafted 18th on a team needing a fs so he better start, Enough of the bs redshirting. He's a rookie so yes he'll take his bumps but he'll be surrounded by consecutive pro bowlers with a defensive coaching staff who knows what they're doing. He's not counted on like milliner to be the 2nd coming of a potential HOF player.
One of the things I like about Reid is that he played in all of LSU games as a true freshman, starting the last 3. To do that in the SEC and at such a powerhouse really speaks volumes. Niners!!!
Eric Reid question: We've seen his adorable little girl. Do we know anything about his baby mama?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Just because a player is on the filed 100% of the time, doesn't necessarily equte to him him having the greatest positive impact on the team.

It is not my intention to get anyone riled up, NC. We all have out opinions. I don't hold to the theory that because Baalke made a choice, it was necessarily superior to all other choices that could have been made. Nor do I think kindly of those that take cheap shots at posters who happen to question the choices made. I know that you don't.

Let's hypothesize that Reid is indeed the best Safety out there. Let's say he would not have been there at #34. One would have to look at what the fall off in production would have been, had the Niners got the next best safety later in the draft. #34 or later, against what they would have had with Reid. Then measure that loss against the increase in production gleaned off an alternative pick at #18. Right? So it's the net drop or increase in impact under alternate scenarios that we're looking at, not the absolute impact tha reid will have (even that would be a guess at this point).

Others may disagree, but here's how I feel:

1. A big upgrade in our DL (Floyd, D.Jones), irrespective of how many snaps he plays, would result in a net increase in postive impact over having Reid instead of the next best available FS say Cyprien (there are many knowledgable people who feel he's better, bu that's another matter altogether).

2. Having a rare talent on offense (Eifert), irrespective of how many snaps he plays, would result a similar enhanced net benefit over a lesser free safety.

3. Reid is not in that rarified category of once-in-a lifetime safeties that an equivalent or near equivalent (or better) safety selected in round 2 cannot fill the Niners safety needs with near equal (even better) efficiency.

That's my opinion. I can respect that you have a different one. Sorry to be a bit long winded, but you asked . . . twice.

However, it is as transpired and I'm happy to look forward to what gives today.

No, I really appreciate this post and you putting your thoughts out there like this. This objectivity was exactly what I was looking for. I certainly can understand what direction you were coming from. And to be humble about it, I never specifically created a mock based on what "I" thought we should do...play GM...rather what I thought our actual GM would do. In most cases, I find up aligning but naturally, not 100%. I appreciate (quality) alternative views b/c it helps round out a complete conversation of scenarios...helps cover all the bases.

I can let others offer up why the positive value of Reid outweighs your potential alternative choices/moves. But to be upfront, I had Cyprien as a close 2nd as well but recognizing, Reid had the most upside and seemed to fit our system much better. Why? I pay very close attention to what Baalke says.

In a nutshell, he said recently was that he wanted bigger, taller DB's and he specifically, wanted S's who can play both positions. When I looked at why we didn't win the Superbowl, these two points (small, weak CB's who got outmuscled esp, in critical situations and S's who were blowing coverages and giving up 3 easy TD's) it was clear, Reid was the no-brainer pick (to me) and as a result, the FO's positive value (graded as their #1 S), was off the charts, so their drop off to Cyprien/Elam was pretty significant. Coupled with the ammo they had and the deal they got with Dallas, it made perfect sense in the end.

But I digress...really appreciate your response and no matter what conviction one has, I/we can see these other scenarios as well.
Did anyone else notice how we gave up less to get 18 than what the Falcons did to get no.22

No matter if you like this pick or not Baalke can negotiate.

I can see us trading no.34 for - mid 2nd 2013. a 2014 1st round and a GM's first born.
Originally posted by Baldie:
With Woodson saying he would lower his demands to play for the niners (read somewhere last week), I think them drafting Reid could potentially set-up a Woodson signing at close the vet minimum. I mean no one wants him, he's still unsigned. Why not sign him to a vet minimum with incentives especially if we make it to the SB. Woodson can come in and groom Reid for a year or maybe even give him breathers during the season. At this point in Woodsons career, he just wants to make it to the SB before he calls it quits. Niners give him a great chance for that.

Love this idea! possibly red shirt Reid and learn from the best. Reminds me of what Moss did for Crabtree and co. last year. Teach the kid how a probowler prepares, studies, what to look for, and subtle tricks of the trade = future probowler.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Not sure what you guys are looking for in a safety but this dude is pretty solid. He has three things over Mays: athleticism, intelligence, and Balkee wanted him.

Grade B+ pick, an A if you want to add we didn't give up s**t to get him.

Thanks for link. I was just about to ask for one!
Did anyone else notice how we gave up less to get 18 than what the Falcons did to get no.22

I can see us trading no.34 for - mid 2nd 2013. a 2014 1st round and a GM's first born.

LMAO!!!

Find the link to the Cowboys presser earlier in this thread. That tells you all you need to know about how the Cowboys feel about that trade.
LMAO! I love you, man! And point well taken...gotcha.

back at you! Two pots of coffee may have been overkill this morning, but too early for an ale...or maybe not...what the heck, cheers!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
LMAO! I love you, man! And point well taken...gotcha.

back at you! Two pots of coffee may have been overkill this morning, but too early for an ale...or maybe not...what the heck, cheers!

Doooo it. It all starts in 30!