There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

#49ers fans: I compared Eric Reid to Eric Weddle before the Combine.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1507096-eric-reid-nfl-draft-2013-pro-player-comparisons
All I heard on the radio this morning was good things about our pick
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
A bit off topic, but am I the only guy that thinks that Culliver is not for long with the Niners. Quite apart from laking marbles, he seems like a chronic disgruntled type. He took a swipe at the organization about the Niners being disingenuous when they were "negotiating" with Goldson. Niners better start drafting CBs now. They're gonna need several replacement real soon, beginning next year.

I really doubt that Whitner goes this year. It would be too traumatic for the team's backfield. But I do hope that an upgrade is in order for next year.

Still have the nagging sense that someone more impactful could have been had at #18. I have to say, that while I'm still not 100% with where the pick occured (hate giving up the #74), I do feel better about it with hearing what some others, whose opinions I respect, being so high on the guy.

Unless it's a pass rusher, ala Aldon Smith, who puts up 15 sacks while taking 50% of the snaps, I can't envision a more impactful player vs. someone like Reid who will be on the field 100% of the time.

Yeah, Culliver, seems like a great talent who needs to hone his skills a bit more but man, mentally, he needs counseling and an education. His mentality helps him stay angry on the field but clearly, something isn't adding up here.

Whitner? Who knows...we only have 1M to sign rookies right now and he or Goodwin could be one of those picks to go June 1st, sadly. That and b/c his coverage was horrendous last year and ultimately, cost us the Superbowl.

P-Dub restructured to free up another 1.2 million.
Agreed. Do your own research and use your own mind, develop your own opinions. Otherwise you're just the mass media and a puppet to the NFL. And remember, they are more than one right answer here...tons of different scenarios, like the old, "Choose your own Adventure" books.

I'm a classic example of someone that has NO CLUE about college football...but did my own research, trusted other's board, matched my research with our picks with needs, etc. and made the best guess possible. Now if he turns out to be a stud, we can say his VALUE should have been top 5. But nobody talks about this...go back and redraft based on value and match THOSE up with your original thoughts/feelings on the matter.

Yes, if you're lazy, trust the FO but if he doesn't turn up, don't b***h about it. In short, use your own damn brain and develop your own conviction and have the balls to stand by it and justify it. Otherwise, what VALUE is your own opinion?

It's fine to keep faith with your own views but to disparage a front office, as some do, that has been incredibly successful is folly. Many of their picks I really liked--Kaepernick was one of my favorites and when they drafted him I was happy. But the general consensus of many was that they really blew it by not getting Dalton. I understood this as CK was a bigger risk coming out of a funky offense and having a funky looking delivery. Was I right? Logically, either opinion is valid until the play on the field makes it clear.

I have an abundance of modesty when it comes to comparing my opinions versus NFL pundits, and then actual working GMs and Coaches are way above them. And then comparing my opinions to the success Harbaugh and Baalke have had...yikes!
Love the Reid pick. This kid had a huge junior year, dropped off a little senior this year. Harbaalke got their man.
Agreed. Do your own research and use your own mind, develop your own opinions. Otherwise you're just the mass media and a puppet to the NFL. And remember, they are more than one right answer here...tons of different scenarios, like the old, "Choose your own Adventure" books.

I'm a classic example of someone that has NO CLUE about college football...but did my own research, trusted other's board, matched my research with our picks with needs, etc. and made the best guess possible. Now if he turns out to be a stud, we can say his VALUE should have been top 5. But nobody talks about this...go back and redraft based on value and match THOSE up with your original thoughts/feelings on the matter.

Yes, if you're lazy, trust the FO but if he doesn't turn up, don't b***h about it. In short, use your own damn brain and develop your own conviction and have the balls to stand by it and justify it. Otherwise, what VALUE is your own opinion?

With all due respect, if you have NO CLUE about college football, you weren't doing much in terms of using your own brain to develop your own conviction about a player. There's a difference between evaluation and prognostication. I mentioned about a month ago that I thought we would end up with Reid. Not because of my evaluation of Reid as a player, but by deductive logic. That sounds like the same thing as what you did.

You said that you haven't watched a college football game in years, but now you have conviction regarding Eric Reid as player? C'mon, NCommand.
Originally posted by Albinorhino49:
Love the Reid pick. This kid had a huge junior year, dropped off a little senior this year. Harbaalke got their man.

Technically, he had a great soph year, dropped off a little in his junior year (though his numbers were actually better in some areas) and declared early.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM ]
well, at least there won't be a drop off on the hits. The entire seahawk WR corps threw up a little in their mouths after this selection
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It's fine to keep faith with your own views but to disparage a front office, as some do, that has been incredibly successful is folly. Many of their picks I really liked--Kaepernick was one of my favorites and when they drafted him I was happy. But the general consensus of many was that they really blew it by not getting Dalton. I understood this as CK was a bigger risk coming out of a funky offense and having a funky looking delivery. Was I right? Logically, either opinion is valid until the play on the field makes it clear.

I have an abundance of modesty when it comes to comparing my opinions versus NFL pundits, and then actual working GMs and Coaches are way above them. And then comparing my opinions to the success Harbaugh and Baalke have had...yikes!

Agreed. I think the point MD was trying to make was, first come to your OWN conclusions first and then match it with what the FO does objectively, with an open mind. He is speaking to the homers who do nothing and then just side with whatever the FO does...wherever they do it.

Keeping with that theme though, we as fans get caught up in tunnel vision and forget to look at the bigger picture and specifically, how that picture fits into the 49ers current/future frame.

We also forget the overall picture. In your example, who knows, if Dalton came here, perhaps he would have succeeded as well. Or if CK went to the Bengals, he never developed. Maybe both succeed no matter where they go.

I think WildBill said it best...if you've got an opinion and the FO does something differently, don't blindly just agree with them (they have been wrong before) but given their track record, keep an open mind and maybe give them the benefit of the doubt. Ppl take this WAY too personally!
Agreed. I think the point MD was trying to make was, first come to your OWN conclusions first and then match it with what the FO does objectively, with an open mind. He is speaking to the homers who do nothing and then just side with whatever the FO does...wherever they do it.

Keeping with that theme though, we as fans get caught up in tunnel vision and forget to look at the bigger picture and specifically, how that picture fits into the 49ers current/future frame.

We also forget the overall picture. In your example, who knows, if Dalton came here, perhaps he would have succeeded as well. Or if CK went to the Bengals, he never developed. Maybe both succeed no matter where they go.

I think WildBill said it best...if you've got an opinion and the FO does something differently, don't blindly just agree with them (they have been wrong before) but given their track record, keep an open mind and maybe give them the benefit of the doubt. Ppl take this WAY too personally!

Understood. Not criticizing anyone in particular, just pointing out that we should all be cautious in critiquing each other. If CK turned out to be a total bust it would have made my opinion look ridiculous...just as my positive opinion of Coffee does. And I have to admit being a fan of many former niners who are no longer in the NFL...and were too young to retire! And Derek Smith was one of my favorite niners for a while...soooo...
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
With all due respect, if you have NO CLUE about college football, you weren't doing much in terms of using your own brain to develop your own conviction about a player. There's a difference between evaluation and prognostication. I mentioned about a month ago that I thought we would end up with Reid. Not because of my evaluation of Reid as a player, but by deductive logic. That sounds like the same thing as what you did.

You said that you haven't watched a college football game in years, but now you have conviction regarding Eric Reid as player? C'mon, NCommand.

I hear ya LA!

By research, I mean, I developed my mock based on a number of variables including private visits, people's big boards, viewing where our picks where, looking at our biggest needs, what positions we were looking at most, matching up current and most pressing needs with an eye for a year or two out, BPA, etc...then when I narrowed it down to a few, I researched the individual players themselves like others here...youtube, looked at measurables, how they'd fit into our system and scheme, etc.

So in the end, even though I'm not scouting players from college, I developed a conviction for a player THROUGH prognostication/research. And even after the pick, more research and info comes up that helps with that conviction.

B/c in the end, like you, I just want what's best for the team.

PS: This process was probably easier for me to make a mock b/c I started with a clean slate and didn't originally have any conviction towards any one player that may have influenced my overall mock.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Understood. Not criticizing anyone in particular, just pointing out that we should all be cautious in critiquing each other. If CK turned out to be a total bust it would have made my opinion look ridiculous...just as my positive opinion of Coffee does. And I have to admit being a fan of many former niners who are no longer in the NFL...and were too young to retire! And Derek Smith was one of my favorite niners for a while...soooo...

I don't think anyone is saying that a player will be good simply because Baalke drafted him. Everyone understands that the draft is an inexact science. I think that people are saying that they "trust" Baalke, because the players that he drafts are more likely to be good than others are.
Maybe bad news on Team Carradine. According to USA Today, some people in the NFL say that his knee at the combine re-check does not look very good. Similar to what they saw on D. Bowers. I can see the team passing on him because of the medicals, especially if they want an immediate impact player.

Medicals are always the wildcard for any evaluator, especially ACL injuries. Only teams have access to these, so it does skew how teams view certain players.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I don't need deodorant...my body don't stink!