There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
In your opinion. Obviously, the Niners felt differently about Reid, and have proven time and time again that they have a pretty good idea what they are doing. Until they prove themselves incompetent, I'm going to assume their opinion of a player is more valid than yours.

That is up to you. Few GM's are incompetent because they tend to be fired quickly if so. It is all about hitting more often than others (the vast majority of time, GM's will miss, not hit). I would encourage you to keep an open mind about each and every player in each and every year because there are no geniuses in player evaluation. If so, a specific team or handful of teams would win every year. That is not the case.

Oh, I am completely open-minded. Don't confuse my optimism with close-mindedness. In fact, you won't see a grade from me EVER. And while player evaluation isn't a perfect science, it's also is not a game of craps. No one can predict how good of a player Reid will be, but I'd rather put my chips with the guys running our team, the same guys who have proved so far to be pretty darn good at talent evaluation in the draft. I'm mean we could be stuck with Gabbert as our franchise QB
I can only give a C.,. The guy is talented but there's a reason why he's not rated very high .. .He has the size and all, but did we really need to move up to draft him, instead of a DL??
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Today: F+

At the end of the season after he balls out: A

Love,

Niner Talk.
Yeah, I'm quoting myself.

LOL
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

Maybe overstating it with 99%, but check out pages 59, 60, 61 on the Draft Discussion Page. You will see a vast majority against the pick when it came in. It is not even close. Maybe 80/20 against.

I was in the draft chat room yesterday, and I'd guess the instant reaction was about 50/50.

Read through those 3 pages, and you had 13 folks seemingly for it and 18 seemingly against it. I know you see what you want to see because of predictions you make (like people will hate it, then love it), but c'mon now.

Not everyone reacted to the trade because they didnt like Reid. My first reaction was.. "oh man" because I was really hoping that they had moved up to get Datrone Jones or Sharif Floyd. While I would have preferred those 2 and my first reaction showed that it does not in any way make me negative against the deal or Reid. The one position the Niners needed to draft to get a Day 1 starter was FS and they got their guy.

Exactly. I was more surprised than disappointed. At the end of the day, I don't know a thing about these players, so it's easy to get caught up in other peoples' rankings during the moment. Like, "Why didn't we draft the guy that every one had going in the top five picks?!" Again, I trust our FO braintrust. I'm totally optimistic that Reid is going to be a great player for us from day 1.
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
2 years ago, #1 vs #2, at Bama. 4th quarter of a tied game, TE running free down the seam for a sure TD....then Reid made a play.



If you watch the start of the play, it looks like Reid had man coverage on the crossing route WR while #18 was playing single high. So Reid's instincts kicked in and he peeled off his man to make a play on the TE. An incredible play in a HUGE spot. Fingers Crossed that this, 2011 Reid, is the play maker we drafted!

Bama fan here. That was THE moment of the game. And because that play cost Bama the game, I've always remembered him.

He was the pick I wanted at 31. Glad the team got him.

That game was insane!!!! Glad to hear about it from a true Crimson fan! Thanks!
Harbalke knows way more than any of us do about these players. They have gotten to watch them up close and from the coaches tape. I trust whatever moves that they make.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
In your opinion. Obviously, the Niners felt differently about Reid, and have proven time and time again that they have a pretty good idea what they are doing. Until they prove themselves incompetent, I'm going to assume their opinion of a player is more valid than yours.

That is up to you. Few GM's are incompetent because they tend to be fired quickly if so. It is all about hitting more often than others (the vast majority of time, GM's will miss, not hit). I would encourage you to keep an open mind about each and every player in each and every year because there are no geniuses in player evaluation. If so, a specific team or handful of teams would win every year. That is not the case.

Oh, I am completely open-minded. Don't confuse my optimism with close-mindedness. In fact, you won't see a grade from me EVER. And while player evaluation isn't a perfect science, it's also is not a game of craps. No one can predict how good of a player Reid will be, but I'd rather put my chips with the guys running our team, the same guys who have proved so far to be pretty darn good at talent evaluation in the draft. I'm mean we could be stuck with Gabbert as our franchise QB

ZING!
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

Maybe overstating it with 99%, but check out pages 59, 60, 61 on the Draft Discussion Page. You will see a vast majority against the pick when it came in. It is not even close. Maybe 80/20 against.

I was in the draft chat room yesterday, and I'd guess the instant reaction was about 50/50.

Read through those 3 pages, and you had 13 folks seemingly for it and 18 seemingly against it. I know you see what you want to see because of predictions you make (like people will hate it, then love it), but c'mon now.

Not everyone reacted to the trade because they didnt like Reid. My first reaction was.. "oh man" because I was really hoping that they had moved up to get Datrone Jones or Sharif Floyd. While I would have preferred those 2 and my first reaction showed that it does not in any way make me negative against the deal or Reid. The one position the Niners needed to draft to get a Day 1 starter was FS and they got their guy.

Exactly. I was more surprised than disappointed. At the end of the day, I don't know a thing about these players, so it's easy to get caught up in other peoples' rankings during the moment. Like, "Why didn't we draft the guy that every one had going in the top five picks?!" Again, I trust our FO braintrust. I'm totally optimistic that Reid is going to be a great player for us from day 1.

I've been pumping up Reid from the get go, especially over Elam and Cyprien....but even I was surprised when they traded up. I was at a draft party with Giants, Jets, Eagles, Raiders and Skins fans. When we traded up everyone said "WHO ARE THEY GETTING!!"...I said "I DONT KNOW!!!". With Sheldon, Austin, Vacarro and Star off the board, it kind of caught me off guard and wasn't even thinking about Reid, I threw out "Floyd???". So when we made the pick I had a delayed reaction like I was kicked in the nuts, but when I realized what happened I was thrilled. I think that probably sums up most 9er fans last night. It was like an expected, not expected pick. Very weird feeling for sure, but elated they made it!
Originally posted by fastforward:
Baalke's track record is still in question. In 2010, the draft was set by the time McCloughan was forced out. You can only partial credit to Baalke on that. The 2011 draft class is good, but the 2012 class is still a huge question mark.

When you are a SB contender, there are hardly going to be any room if any. The keys is developing the players and ging them time, look at our roster from last years team, how many had to sit and learn? Its not like we are the Raiders, Rams, packers or saints, with obvious needs. This year is different. In 2010 and 2011 it was obvious.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The thing that makes the most sense with this pick is his intelligence. We have a large hole to fill in our secondary and for a rookie to come in and make an impact, he needed to be smart. I can see now why our guys viewed him as the total package. Initially, I was kind of shocked based on the fact most draftniks had him as an option at 31, but I've totally warmed to the idea. We really didn't give up much to bounce up 13 spots in the first round and got a guy that we targeted. This staff did it similar with Kaep two years ago. You see a guy you like, and you do what you can to get him, provided you have the ammunition.

Yes, I agree, and even last year people were complaining that Kaep was not going to make it happen and we may need to draft another QB or give Tolz the nod. Probably the same people who are complaining cause they want someone that they want that they feel is the person or way, cause it gives some people validation that they know football, when the niners don't, its like they are being dissed to them. If they are succeeding which the niners are, its somewhat silly, if they are screwing it up with questionable moves like the Bills and Jets and not succeedig then I can see you complaining.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This entire thread makes me laugh.

Will we never learn? I see peeps who love the pick (as do I). I see peeps who say his ceiling is a solid starter. I see peeps who cry foul and think Baalke is a moron.

What I KNOW is that NONE of us know how this will turn out.

I remember the DRAMA on this site after the Aldon pick. That kinda worked out OK.

Baalke and harbaugh liked the guy. They were willing to move up to secure him (and droping a 3 is a pretty damn good price for that move...especially considering they got it when they traded a 4 LAST year).

I LOVE the pick. There are no perfect picks. The guy is big, he's smart, he has LONG arms and he can play. What's not to like? I don't get what issue people have here.

Is it just because some dude on the internet projected him lower? What the hell do they know?

Well said


I think everyone should shush, support the pick and just trust HarBalke
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Harbalke knows way more than any of us do about these players. They have gotten to watch them up close and from the coaches tape. I trust whatever moves that they make.

Appeal to authority.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
In your opinion. Obviously, the Niners felt differently about Reid, and have proven time and time again that they have a pretty good idea what they are doing. Until they prove themselves incompetent, I'm going to assume their opinion of a player is more valid than yours.

That is up to you. Few GM's are incompetent because they tend to be fired quickly if so. It is all about hitting more often than others (the vast majority of time, GM's will miss, not hit). I would encourage you to keep an open mind about each and every player in each and every year because there are no geniuses in player evaluation. If so, a specific team or handful of teams would win every year. That is not the case.

Oh, I am completely open-minded. Don't confuse my optimism with close-mindedness. In fact, you won't see a grade from me EVER. And while player evaluation isn't a perfect science, it's also is not a game of craps. No one can predict how good of a player Reid will be, but I'd rather put my chips with the guys running our team, the same guys who have proved so far to be pretty darn good at talent evaluation in the draft. I'm mean we could be stuck with Gabbert as our franchise QB

A GM's success is going to miss many times also becuase of who he hires as HC and coaches, ours is the perfect example. It is rather the best when the GM gets the player the coaches need to make their system work and not be adamnmant about a player and telling the player to make him fit. It is also imperatiive that coaches trust the personell peoples evaluation (which Singletary didn't-no mays, whine whine, Sing also thought P Willis wasn't much of a LB) I think ours goes hand in hand. The Kaep is a good example, everyone thought that we wanted Dalton, but JH wanted Kaep all along, but Baalke had him rated as a 3rd rounder like many, but JH insisted he is the man, you sure, yes, okay. So Baalke, got it done and moved up.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Harbalke knows way more than any of us do about these players. They have gotten to watch them up close and from the coaches tape. I trust whatever moves that they make.

Appeal to authority.

And precedent.
The Reid pick surprised me only because I believe the league is going away from big hits and will pass rules to enforce tackling over collisions. This puts Reid at a disadvantage as the main knock on him is that, like Goldson, he tended to miss some tackles when going for a knockout. But his physical and mental strengths make him a good choice whatever the rules.
I say this in kindness to all who follow the draft: For those who trust the front office, I think you should trust your own evaluation more. Your opinion may, or may not match what the brass think, but it will be yours. Blindly trusting the front office (as some do on this board) gets you an Aldon Smith one year and a Jenkins the next.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Janoris Jenkins last year, coming into the draft, was superior to AJ Jenkins. Trust what you see. Sure, you won't get every single detail that the team has access to, but if you watch enough games, and you do your research on measurables, and know the history of what usually pans out and what doesn't, you have just a fair shot as guys who do this for a living. Trust what you see, not a person who represents your organization.

I know that one guy on the board got dogpiled a couple of years ago with his BPA board of 1. Christian Ponder and 2. Ricky Stanzi. I think he was brave to put it out there and defend it with decent arguments. He was wrong, but it was his evaluation and he stood by it.

In the end, you are going to get a broad perspective on players. In the case with Reid, some say he was great value as a mid-first rounder, like Charles Davis of NFL Network. Others, like Daniel Jeremiah, also of NFL Network, think he presents mid-late second round value. Who is right? Nobody knows. That is up to each person to determine.

My argument has always been to those who base their opinion solely on the brass, and tend to be the most aggressive in defending the pick: You do not need to depend on the team's scout and coaches and GM to determine your perspective on a player. You can do this on your own. Trust your instincts.

Finally, if you base your opinion of a player solely on the experts, you end up with a set of picks that didn't look like Seattle's last year. Irvin, Wagner and Wilson turned out to be pretty good, even though the Seahawks were panned by many to have had the worst draft. Trust your instincts.