There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
My problem with the Reid move is this - had they stood pat at #31 they could have had Elam, Swearinger or Cyprien if not Reid himself. Reid is an outstanding player but those others safeties are too.

So in other words they traded up to take a great safety when they would have had one anyway by not trading up.

When you trade up the whole point is to take someone you couldn't have had by standing pat nor could you have had anyone like him. See the Dolphins with Dion Jordan or the Rams with Tavon Austin. They couldn't have had either or anything close to it if they didn't trade up.

This isn't about Reid not being an excellent player, he is. It's about is Reid significantly better than those other safeties available at #31?

They have picks to waste.

This pick seems to set a pattern: Harbaugh/Baalke fell in love with certain aspect of a player and reached for him. It worked once: Aldon Smith (though the jury is still out on whether or not he can excel without Justin Smith). The jury is also very much out on Jenkins. The early signs weren't good. We'll see what happens with Eric Reid.
The thing that makes the most sense with this pick is his intelligence. We have a large hole to fill in our secondary and for a rookie to come in and make an impact, he needed to be smart. I can see now why our guys viewed him as the total package. Initially, I was kind of shocked based on the fact most draftniks had him as an option at 31, but I've totally warmed to the idea. We really didn't give up much to bounce up 13 spots in the first round and got a guy that we targeted. This staff did it similar with Kaep two years ago. You see a guy you like, and you do what you can to get him, provided you have the ammunition.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
I really don't get how some fans can still question Baalke and declare the pick the worst in history without even seeing Reid play a down for us yet. I know it happens every year but it is still kind of mind boggling...

Baalke's track record is still in question. In 2010, the draft was set by the time McCloughan was forced out. You can only partial credit to Baalke on that. The 2011 draft class is good, but the 2012 class is still a huge question mark.
Without intimate knowledge of multiple nfl teams big boards there is NO such thing as a reach or a steal! Its all nonsense conjecture based on nonsense conjecture.

If we had traded to 10 and picked Floyd what would we all be saying. "What a steal" when in reality it would have been a reach.

You don't know, be smart enough to know that you don't know.
Originally posted by fastforward:
I really don't get how some fans can still question Baalke and declare the pick the worst in history without even seeing Reid play a down for us yet. I know it happens every year but it is still kind of mind boggling...

Baalke's track record is still in question. In 2010, the draft was set by the time McCloughan was forced out. You can only partial credit to Baalke on that. The 2011 draft class is good, but the 2012 class is still a huge question mark.

That's a bit of an understatement. That is the kind of draft class that dynasties are made of.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

Maybe overstating it with 99%, but check out pages 59, 60, 61 on the Draft Discussion Page. You will see a vast majority against the pick when it came in. It is not even close. Maybe 80/20 against.

I was in the draft chat room yesterday, and I'd guess the instant reaction was about 50/50.

Read through those 3 pages, and you had 13 folks seemingly for it and 18 seemingly against it. I know you see what you want to see because of predictions you make (like people will hate it, then love it), but c'mon now.

Not everyone reacted to the trade because they didnt like Reid. My first reaction was.. "oh man" because I was really hoping that they had moved up to get Datrone Jones or Sharif Floyd. While I would have preferred those 2 and my first reaction showed that it does not in any way make me negative against the deal or Reid. The one position the Niners needed to draft to get a Day 1 starter was FS and they got their guy.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Today: F+

At the end of the season after he balls out: A

Love,

Niner Talk.
Yeah, I'm quoting myself.
Does this pick increase the likelihood of picking up the Honey Badger? They were great together 2 years ago and would hopefully improve our slot wr defense which has been our Achilles heel the last couple of years.
[ Edited by NinerSquire on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM ]
Today: F+

At the end of the season after he balls out: A

Love,

Niner Talk.
Yeah, I'm quoting myself.

LOL...worth quoting! Some folks just need to be negative I guess, but assuming we know more than Baalke and Harbaugh...just not wise!
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by fastforward:

That's a bit of an understatement. That is the kind of draft class that dynasties are made of.

Seriously, and last year at this time everyone was whining about not trading up for Dalton and settling on Kaep. The front office got the 9ers to Sup in 2 years when we had no foreseeable future before Harbaugh.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

Maybe overstating it with 99%, but check out pages 59, 60, 61 on the Draft Discussion Page. You will see a vast majority against the pick when it came in. It is not even close. Maybe 80/20 against.

I personally liked the pick (check page 1)

But those three pages shows thats it was 80/20 or something like that.
Mayock, of the 3 main analyst, was the harshest. I think it is a huge pick. We lose virtually nothing from Goldson leaving. Reid has better range. Hits hard like Goldson. I think the only negative is his tackling. Which I dont think will be and issue after training camp.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Yup. Even if he would not have been there at #31, Niners had a chance to pick up a real impact player at #18 and didn't. And that makes giving up a #74 in a very deep class, where there will be value there, even more of a b*itch. Baalke's talk about taking the bpa is BS.

It's done . . . time to move on. Hope he gets it together for the rest of the draft. The Niners don't need a repeat of 2012.

To you he is not the BPA, according to Jed York, from Wednesday that is who he (Baalke) wanted and had his mind made up if he could pull a trade and Reid was there. Besides, when they say BPA, they are not talking literally without factoring in need. Especially this year. Safety is the one glaring need also, not to mention in some ratings, he was rated higher than Vacarro, and the safety class was rated as a whole A+, so why not get the best. BPA does not mean only BPA on the overall big board. If the BPA was a QB, do you draft a QB when we don't need one? No. Plus if you been keeping up there were at least five teams looking at safety that were drafting before the niners, then you have the Ravens behind them that could jumb in front of them if they wnated to. As the saying goes snooze you lose. Reid plays the style the niners want from their safety. The other players are not going to be playing as much as a safety (near 100%). DL and TE (no), so they won't have as much impact on a defense and offense as a safety, don't fill the safety position with a capable player, that makes it even worse and the impact more. WR, even worse.

Talk about value, yes you consider that, but if there is player that you feel is better than the rest and will impact you more, all the guys like Lombardi, Pollian, Brandt have said you go after him as long as you don't over pay. Remember, only a hand full of players are going to make this team.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Yup. Even if he would not have been there at #31, Niners had a chance to pick up a real impact player at #18 and didn't. And that makes giving up a #74 in a very deep class, where there will be value there, even more of a b*itch. Baalke's talk about taking the bpa is BS.

It's done . . . time to move on. Hope he gets it together for the rest of the draft. The Niners don't need a repeat of 2012.

Reid may be an impact player...and there were/are no sure things.

Rsrkshn, totally respect your opinion and thoughts. But can you tell me who would have more of an impact for us than filling the one starting spot we had a hole at? He not only fits the FS role for this year but SS next year (if we even keep Whitner). That means he's on the field 100% of the time.

Who else in this draft would even be on the field half that time and have more of an impact? 2nd TE and NT and DE, at most, will be on the field 50% of the time. We run a heavy TE offense and even if we switch to a more spread, a WR is going to have to leap Crabtree, Boldin and either Williams, Jenkins and/or Manningham for playing time this year.

This pick means this kid is on the field from day 1, can cover 2 positions and have a major "impact" more than another other pick in the draft THIS year, IMHO.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This entire thread makes me laugh.

Will we never learn? I see peeps who love the pick (as do I). I see peeps who say his ceiling is a solid starter. I see peeps who cry foul and think Baalke is a moron.

What I KNOW is that NONE of us know how this will turn out.

I remember the DRAMA on this site after the Aldon pick. That kinda worked out OK.

Baalke and harbaugh liked the guy. They were willing to move up to secure him (and droping a 3 is a pretty damn good price for that move...especially considering they got it when they traded a 4 LAST year).

I LOVE the pick. There are no perfect picks. The guy is big, he's smart, he has LONG arms and he can play. What's not to like? I don't get what issue people have here.

Is it just because some dude on the internet projected him lower? What the hell do they know?
I don't really like the pick but I'm not torn up about it. I'm certainly not going to call for Baalke's head over it or anything. I have concerns about his game and I hope I'm wrong. I'm not mad at all though.I think that's a perfectly reasonable response.

What gets me is when people watch a few Youtube highlight videos and watch a few draft shows on NFL network and suddenly think their draft experts.