There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

My problem with the Reid move is this - had they stood pat at #31 they could have had Elam, Swearinger or Cyprien if not Reid himself. Reid is an outstanding player but those others safeties are too.

So in other words they traded up to take a great safety when they would have had one anyway by not trading up.

When you trade up the whole point is to take someone you couldn't have had by standing pat nor could you have had anyone like him. See the Dolphins with Dion Jordan or the Rams with Tavon Austin. They couldn't have had either or anything close to it if they didn't trade up.

This isn't about Reid not being an excellent player, he is. It's about is Reid significantly better than those other safeties available at #31?
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
As promised yesterday after the pick, where 99% of the board was angry, now we seeing a shift in viewpoints to a majority who appear to like the selection. And, some are beginning, as promised, to lash out against those who don't like the pick. Predictable board stuff. I would ask those who disagree with my analysis and those who agree with me to be fair in their critique, not to use personal attacks. This is all fun and games.

You were the only person on the board yesterday (server overload)

Who was the 1% who wasn't angry?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
god you people do not know if he would have been there when it came our time. we had the need, we had the picks, this regime has a track record for trading up. good lord
Originally posted by cciowa:
god you people do not know if he would have been there when it came our time. we had the need, we had the picks, this regime has a track record for trading up. good lord

"you people"?
As promised yesterday after the pick, where 99% of the board was angry, now we seeing a shift in viewpoints to a majority who appear to like the selection. And, some are beginning, as promised, to lash out against those who don't like the pick. Predictable board stuff. I would ask those who disagree with my analysis and those who agree with me to be fair in their critique, not to use personal attacks. This is all fun and games.

MadDog's gonna MadDog
There is a reason why Baalke is the 49ers GM guys. I'm willing to bet that Cinci was going to take Reid. Personally, I love this pick.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
My problem with the Reid move is this - had they stood pat at #31 they could have had Elam, Swearinger or Cyprien if not Reid himself. Reid is an outstanding player but those others safeties are too.

So in other words they traded up to take a great safety when they would have had one anyway by not trading up.

When you trade up the whole point is to take someone you couldn't have had by standing pat nor could you have had anyone like him. See the Dolphins with Dion Jordan or the Rams with Tavon Austin. They couldn't have had either or anything close to it if they didn't trade up.

This isn't about Reid not being an excellent player, he is. It's about is Reid significantly better than those other safeties available at #31?

How do you know those other guys are "great safeties?" What if the 49ers scouts thought that Baby Whitner and Cyprien were s**t? What if Baalke had Reid as having high 1st round value while the others were 2nd round value at best?

I hate when people make these assumptions that just because the draftniks viewed a player a certain way, that the organization would as well. Reid was the player they wanted, obviously he's got the traits that they value in a safety and the other guys didn't....bottomline.

If you really, REALLY like a guy, you find a way to go and get him and that's exactly what the 49ers did. If they thought that Cyprien or Baby Whitner were essentially interchangeable with Reid, they wouldn't have given up a 3rd round pick to draft him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]

Even if he wasn't there Cyprien, DJ Swearinger, and Matt Elam were. Reid is great. Maybe he goes 21 to the Bengals if we don't move up maybe he doesn't. Who knows? But we could have had a great safety at 31 no matter what. Clearly Harbs and Trent think Reid is a cut above the others.
I really like this pick and if you watch any of his tape or watched him play in big games, he is very smooth and gets around the ball a lot. I wouldn't mind having Mathieu join him in the 4th round possibly.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I never looked at this when I watched tape and read about him but he's only 21 and just turned 21 in December. That's definitely an added bonus, look at Anthony and the experience he has and is only 23.

Seems like he has great character and is really bright. Thats a plus.

He was on SEC all Academic team
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

Maybe overstating it with 99%, but check out pages 59, 60, 61 on the Draft Discussion Page. You will see a vast majority against the pick when it came in. It is not even close. Maybe 80/20 against.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

"you people"?

some of you people,, sorry
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Even if he wasn't there Cyprien, DJ Swearinger, and Matt Elam were. Reid is great. Maybe he goes 21 to the Bengals if we don't move up maybe he doesn't. Who knows? But we could have had a great safety at 31 no matter what. Clearly Harbs and Trent think Reid is a cut above the others.
we got a great safety for a third round pick, saved some money, and no poopy old woodson and fleeced dallas plus pissed off the nfl who are saying in regards to us,, the rich get richer
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

Maybe overstating it with 99%, but check out pages 59, 60, 61 on the Draft Discussion Page. You will see a vast majority against the pick when it came in. It is not even close. Maybe 80/20 against.

I personally liked the pick (check page 1)
It's Reid's apparent smarts that intrigues me. The Niner DBs and mainly Goldson were out of position in some critical plays last year. Many opinions have Reid as a take charge guy with helping to set up players in the correct position. Another player that gets himself and the secondary lined up correctly will be a huge plus.