There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
The niners stated he was their highest rated safety, ahead of Vacarro. He was never projected as a late second, or early third round player. Not sure where you get that grade from. Anyways, I wasn't super excited about moving up to get him (assuming he stayed until 31), but I am happy with the player we got. The kid can play and has huge upside.

The grade is my person grade, not any teams.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
MD is going to hate the 34th pick as well if it isnt Tank Carradine his draft crush. I was a bit disappointed when I heard Eric Reed announced because I really was hoping for Floyd or Jones there. But, I am on board now.

No draft crushes. Simply think the player is talented. I do not know Carradine personally. If the team bypasses Carradine due to medical reasons, I don't have a problem. However, it appears like his recovery is going very well. There would be a cluster of players I would not be disappointed in if the team made the selection. Talent and need and value are all important factors.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
2 years ago, #1 vs #2, at Bama. 4th quarter of a tied game, TE running free down the seam for a sure TD....then Reid made a play.

If you watch the start of the play, it looks like Reid had man coverage on the crossing route WR while #18 was playing single high. So Reid's instincts kicked in and he peeled off his man to make a play on the TE. An incredible play in a HUGE spot. Fingers Crossed that this, 2011 Reid, is the play maker we drafted!

Bama fan here. That was THE moment of the game. And because that play cost Bama the game, I've always remembered him.

He was the pick I wanted at 31. Glad the team got him.
As promised yesterday after the pick, where 99% of the board was angry, now we seeing a shift in viewpoints to a majority who appear to like the selection. And, some are beginning, as promised, to lash out against those who don't like the pick. Predictable board stuff. I would ask those who disagree with my analysis and those who agree with me to be fair in their critique, not to use personal attacks. This is all fun and games.
Originally posted by always49ers:
One man's (Bob McGinn) opinion:

2. ERIC REID, Louisiana State (6-1½, 210, 4.51, 1-2) - Third-year junior. "He's got the total package," one scout said. "He's the smartest (Wonderlic of 29) of the group. He's got the best measureables. He needs to clean up his tackling a little bit. I think he's tough enough. He's not the greatest ballhawk, but he's good enough." Led safeties in vertical jump (40½) and broad jump (11-2). "He'll probably start," another scout said. "His angles to the ball are suspect. His speed is really marginal on the edge. Now he will hit your (expletive). He has good qualities and a reputation for running the show. Just dropping his hips and running fast were my two biggest things. He doesn't roll his hips real good. He'll ricochet off some hips. It doesn't mean he isn't tough. It's where a little bit of tightness gets him." Played 39 games (29 starts), finishing with 199 tackles (4½ for loss) and six picks. Father, Eric, was NCAA 110 hurdles champion in 1987. "His junior year (2011) he made some spectacular plays," said Phil Savage, Senior Bowl executive director and a former personnel man for Baltimore and Cleveland. "His workout was as good as you're going to see. He looked like the best safety in the draft. But you're going to have to draw that out of him. Get him under control. He's got first-round talent dripping from him." Removed from one team's board because of arthritic shoulders. From Geismar, La.

According to Baalke, himself, here is what HE said:

You mentioned learning angles better at the NFL level. Supposedly, his tackling technique could be improved. He obviously has the physical ability. Do you feel good about some of the weaknesses in his game are things that can be coached up at the NFL level?

"As far as tackling, I don't know where that comes from. We feel very good about his tackling. To me, the game is angles and angles are a change because the speed of the game changes. The speed of the college game versus the speed of the NFL game are two different things. So, when you're talking about defensive backs and you're talking about defensive players, the angles are something that they have to learn because they change dramatically at this level."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/04/25/baalke-transcript-reid-played-the-type-of-ball-we-wanted-to-see-out-of-a-safety/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
As promised yesterday after the pick, where 99% of the board was angry, now we seeing a shift in viewpoints to a majority who appear to like the selection. And, some are beginning, as promised, to lash out against those who don't like the pick. Predictable board stuff. I would ask those who disagree with my analysis and those who agree with me to be fair in their critique, not to use personal attacks. This is all fun and games.

Congratulations, I also predicted that Jets fans would boo their pick. Can I post about it too?
Let's hope the 49ers don't get another Taylor Mays. The criticisms on him are so much like those of Mays.
I say A. I didn't expect us to get this guy, so I was pulling for Cyprien at #34, but as things turn out we could STILL get Cyprien. However, the SS position is very deep and we could get a guy like Duke Williams, TJ Mac, or Phil Thomas in the 4th. Great pick
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The niners stated he was their highest rated safety, ahead of Vacarro. He was never projected as a late second, or early third round player. Not sure where you get that grade from. Anyways, I wasn't super excited about moving up to get him (assuming he stayed until 31), but I am happy with the player we got. The kid can play and has huge upside.

In our position, with a ton of picks and few available roster spots, if there's a guy that you like you don't mess around and risk someone like Cincinnati or someone else taking him. The trade up makes sense, especially considering what it cost us.

The more I think about it, the less I'm concerned about giving away the 3rd rounder. I keep thinking of this analogy:
When you're poor, $100 is a lot of money to part with. But when you're well-off, $100 isn't that much. The value is the same for both people - it's always $100 - but for the well-off person, it's not as "valuable" to them.
I kinda see the 49ers like that. We have tons of picks and a loaded roster - so the 3rd rounder isn't as valuable to them as it would have been if the roster had more holes and they had less picks.

Maybe that doesn't line up exactly right, but it makes sense to me.

Makes fun of everyone on the board....

Then ask people to be fair in their critique and not use personal attacks.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
Congratulations, I also predicted that Jets fans would boo their pick. Can I post about it too?

They boo everything. I boo nearly everything.

99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.

Totally agree...

Mayock ( one of the best in the business ) had Reid going to the Bengals at 21

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/171006

"I think he really fits the bill for them defensively. This is a bigger safety with great movement skills. He's a playmaker on the back end. I'd like to see him be a more consistent tackler, but trust me: Being coached by Mike Zimmer, he will become one"

I think the same could be said for our staff.

Aside from Cincy, the Giants had big time interest ( I live 10 min from Giants stadium, the radio waves are blowing up because they wanted Reid ) and I read a ton of mocks with the Rams grabbing him at 22 . There is no way in hell Reid was going to last much longer. With our 13 picks, how many rookies are going to make this roster? 7? We need to make a couple more of these trades to secure "our guys" and get a couple 2014 picks, it was a great move.

Love Reid, was pumping him up before the draft and am thrilled he's on our squad. So is Rob Rang =

Rob Rang: A-minus "The Bucs paid big money to ex-49ers' safety Dashon Goldson, but Reid's speed, explosiveness and ball skills may make him an upgrade for San Francisco."

Jump on board buddy!

I was saying the same thing on another board. Giant beat writers were all over the radio yesterday saying he was a guy they really liked and would draft if he was available. I was a bit surprised because I hadn't read/heard that anywhere before Thursday. It could have been a smokescreen, but why take a chance.
F-
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

99% of the board was not angry yesterday. lol

It was more like 50/50. But what do we know? We are all just sheep incapable of independent thoughts and all our views should be massed together as one.