There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.

Considering that we traded up, I'm pretty sure we did stick with our board. It just didn't match yours. Almost definitionally, trading up means that there's a player that you really want.

Anyway, you criticizing the Niner's 1st Round pick is an annual rite of passage, so I'll take this with a grain of salt.
2 years ago, #1 vs #2, at Bama. 4th quarter of a tied game, TE running free down the seam for a sure TD....then Reid made a play.



If you watch the start of the play, it looks like Reid had man coverage on the crossing route WR while #18 was playing single high. So Reid's instincts kicked in and he peeled off his man to make a play on the TE. An incredible play in a HUGE spot. Fingers Crossed that this, 2011 Reid, is the play maker we drafted!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.

The niners stated he was their highest rated safety, ahead of Vacarro. He was never projected as a late second, or early third round player. Not sure where you get that grade from. Anyways, I wasn't super excited about moving up to get him (assuming he stayed until 31), but I am happy with the player we got. The kid can play and has huge upside.
One man's (Bob McGinn) opinion:

KENNY VACCARO, Texas (6-0, 211, 4.61, 1-2) - Two-year starter. "Different than most Texas guys," one scout said. "He's tough and physical. He will hit you and he's got cover ability. He doesn't run real great." Often moved down and covered slot receivers. "They matched him up against (West Virginia's) Tavon Austin and he did all right," another scout said. "He plays 4.55. You'd have to twist my arm to take him in the first." Has been arrested twice for various altercations. "He's just got a little edge to him," the scout said. "He's got a temper. But he's not a bad kid. Real smart (22 on the Wonderlic). He can run a secondary, but he's not as smart as (Eric) Reid." Finished with 264 tackles (16 for loss) and five picks in 51 games (32 starts). Grew up in Brownwood, Texas, and didn't always run with the best friends. "He's not a natural cover guy," a third scout said. "I don't see him make plays. Alert and aggressive. Adequate break on the ball. He's best as a center-field type so he can come down and cover the slot."

2. ERIC REID, Louisiana State (6-1½, 210, 4.51, 1-2) - Third-year junior. "He's got the total package," one scout said. "He's the smartest (Wonderlic of 29) of the group. He's got the best measureables. He needs to clean up his tackling a little bit. I think he's tough enough. He's not the greatest ballhawk, but he's good enough." Led safeties in vertical jump (40½) and broad jump (11-2). "He'll probably start," another scout said. "His angles to the ball are suspect. His speed is really marginal on the edge. Now he will hit your (expletive). He has good qualities and a reputation for running the show. Just dropping his hips and running fast were my two biggest things. He doesn't roll his hips real good. He'll ricochet off some hips. It doesn't mean he isn't tough. It's where a little bit of tightness gets him." Played 39 games (29 starts), finishing with 199 tackles (4½ for loss) and six picks. Father, Eric, was NCAA 110 hurdles champion in 1987. "His junior year (2011) he made some spectacular plays," said Phil Savage, Senior Bowl executive director and a former personnel man for Baltimore and Cleveland. "His workout was as good as you're going to see. He looked like the best safety in the draft. But you're going to have to draw that out of him. Get him under control. He's got first-round talent dripping from him." Removed from one team's board because of arthritic shoulders. From Geismar, La.
Love the pick! We got the man we wanted BUT...... Not sure if we had to trade to 18 to get him if you look who came off the board after him. But I have 100% trust in Baalke. I would give the pick an A- / B+.

Would love to see us grab Ertz next, then Tank and if available in the 4th or 5th still, take a flyer on the Honey Badger.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
The niners stated he was their highest rated safety, ahead of Vacarro. He was never projected as a late second, or early third round player. Not sure where you get that grade from. Anyways, I wasn't super excited about moving up to get him (assuming he stayed until 31), but I am happy with the player we got. The kid can play and has huge upside.

In our position, with a ton of picks and few available roster spots, if there's a guy that you like you don't mess around and risk someone like Cincinnati or someone else taking him. The trade up makes sense, especially considering what it cost us.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.

The niners stated he was their highest rated safety, ahead of Vacarro. He was never projected as a late second, or early third round player. Not sure where you get that grade from. Anyways, I wasn't super excited about moving up to get him (assuming he stayed until 31), but I am happy with the player we got. The kid can play and has huge upside.
Totally agree...

Mayock ( one of the best in the business ) had Reid going to the Bengals at 21

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/171006

"I think he really fits the bill for them defensively. This is a bigger safety with great movement skills. He's a playmaker on the back end. I'd like to see him be a more consistent tackler, but trust me: Being coached by Mike Zimmer, he will become one"

I think the same could be said for our staff.

Aside from Cincy, the Giants had big time interest ( I live 10 min from Giants stadium, the radio waves are blowing up because they wanted Reid ) and I read a ton of mocks with the Rams grabbing him at 22 . There is no way in hell Reid was going to last much longer. With our 13 picks, how many rookies are going to make this roster? 7? We need to make a couple more of these trades to secure "our guys" and get a couple 2014 picks, it was a great move.

Love Reid, was pumping him up before the draft and am thrilled he's on our squad. So is Rob Rang =

Rob Rang: A-minus "The Bucs paid big money to ex-49ers' safety Dashon Goldson, but Reid's speed, explosiveness and ball skills may make him an upgrade for San Francisco."

Jump on board buddy!
A ton of mixed opinions on this guy. It seems, like with so many of the guys in this draft he was all over teams draft boards. His playing style reminds me of Sean Taylor. It will be interesting watching him and Vacarro throughout their careers because I think Vacarro is special.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
The niners stated he was their highest rated safety, ahead of Vacarro. He was never projected as a late second, or early third round player. Not sure where you get that grade from. Anyways, I wasn't super excited about moving up to get him (assuming he stayed until 31), but I am happy with the player we got. The kid can play and has huge upside.

In our position, with a ton of picks and few available roster spots, if there's a guy that you like you don't mess around and risk someone like Cincinnati or someone else taking him. The trade up makes sense, especially considering what it cost us.

+1

Clearly this is a guy that Harbaugh has been drooling over for years now. He has the skills to play in the SEC and the smarts to have gone to Stanford. We needed a rookie who is smart, who is very athletic, can learn the defense, can run the secondary if needed, and can step up NOW for the team. I think out of all the safties in this draft class, Reid fits that profile best. Apparently the front office thinks so too.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I do approve! Played in the SEC, is big, plays fast, wraps up tackles, can cover tight ends, rangy, and actually plays the ball!

The one thing I love about this pick. It's tough putting all the pressure on Willis to cover tight ends because our safeties couldn't do it. Reid has all the physical tools to matchup with these big tight ends.
Great. Seems like a guy who can contribute 2/3 downs. Good college background. Minimal injury issues. Young.

Next question: Where's the beef? We need beef.
Originally posted by always49ers:
One man's (Bob McGinn) opinion:

KENNY VACCARO, Texas (6-0, 211, 4.61, 1-2) - Two-year starter. "Different than most Texas guys," one scout said. "He's tough and physical. He will hit you and he's got cover ability. He doesn't run real great." Often moved down and covered slot receivers. "They matched him up against (West Virginia's) Tavon Austin and he did all right," another scout said. "He plays 4.55. You'd have to twist my arm to take him in the first." Has been arrested twice for various altercations. "He's just got a little edge to him," the scout said. "He's got a temper. But he's not a bad kid. Real smart (22 on the Wonderlic). He can run a secondary, but he's not as smart as (Eric) Reid." Finished with 264 tackles (16 for loss) and five picks in 51 games (32 starts). Grew up in Brownwood, Texas, and didn't always run with the best friends. "He's not a natural cover guy," a third scout said. "I don't see him make plays. Alert and aggressive. Adequate break on the ball. He's best as a center-field type so he can come down and cover the slot."

2. ERIC REID, Louisiana State (6-1½, 210, 4.51, 1-2) - Third-year junior. "He's got the total package," one scout said. "He's the smartest (Wonderlic of 29) of the group. He's got the best measureables. He needs to clean up his tackling a little bit. I think he's tough enough. He's not the greatest ballhawk, but he's good enough." Led safeties in vertical jump (40½) and broad jump (11-2). "He'll probably start," another scout said. "His angles to the ball are suspect. His speed is really marginal on the edge. Now he will hit your (expletive). He has good qualities and a reputation for running the show. Just dropping his hips and running fast were my two biggest things. He doesn't roll his hips real good. He'll ricochet off some hips. It doesn't mean he isn't tough. It's where a little bit of tightness gets him." Played 39 games (29 starts), finishing with 199 tackles (4½ for loss) and six picks. Father, Eric, was NCAA 110 hurdles champion in 1987. "His junior year (2011) he made some spectacular plays," said Phil Savage, Senior Bowl executive director and a former personnel man for Baltimore and Cleveland. "His workout was as good as you're going to see. He looked like the best safety in the draft. But you're going to have to draw that out of him. Get him under control. He's got first-round talent dripping from him." Removed from one team's board because of arthritic shoulders. From Geismar, La.


I agree with that assessment of Reid VERY much.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I just hope that he was one of our BPA's and not an attempt to fill a hole.

How is that not obvious? We could of stayed put and filled a need as there were plenty of options at Safety left. We saw our guy available and we went and got him with the ammo we all knew we would use. I tried telling the majority we would NOT draft a DL in the the first let alone trade up for one like most suggested. The webzone favorite was Datone Jones and there was simply no point in taking him when we signed Dorsey, who was more touted coming out of college than Jones, he just needed the right situation which I believe he has now with us.

Reid can play either safety position in our defense. He has the speed to protect the back end and the size and physicality to play in the box. Great pick and I'm looking forward to Day 2! Tank or Hunt would be great value in the 2nd round. Glad we grabbed a day 1 starter in round 1 which none of the D-linemen would of been. Great Job Harbaalke
[ Edited by Sims84 on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
In your opinion. Obviously, the Niners felt differently about Reid, and have proven time and time again that they have a pretty good idea what they are doing. Until they prove themselves incompetent, I'm going to assume their opinion of a player is more valid than yours.

That is up to you. Few GM's are incompetent because they tend to be fired quickly if so. It is all about hitting more often than others (the vast majority of time, GM's will miss, not hit). I would encourage you to keep an open mind about each and every player in each and every year because there are no geniuses in player evaluation. If so, a specific team or handful of teams would win every year. That is not the case.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.

Considering that we traded up, I'm pretty sure we did stick with our board. It just didn't match yours. Almost definitionally, trading up means that there's a player that you really want.

Anyway, you criticizing the Niner's 1st Round pick is an annual rite of passage, so I'll take this with a grain of salt.

MD is going to hate the 34th pick as well if it isnt Tank Carradine his draft crush. I was a bit disappointed when I heard Eric Reed announced because I really was hoping for Floyd or Jones there. But, I am on board now.
...