There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Im with this.

Baalke is stupid. He made the same mistake with Culliver. Drafted him to play corner, not safety.

Then he drafts a defensive end to play fullback.

Now, he drafts Reid to play free safety, not strong safety. He just keeps making the same mistake, doesn't he.

When will this guy learn?

[ Edited by buck on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:28 AM ]
I am stoked about this pick, The brass says this was there player so they went an got him. He was a beast in the SEC. This guy is a big hitter. So happy we took Reid instead of having to settle for Vaccarro or some other safety. I personally think Vaccarro is soft and not near as built for the position as Reid. My god we have a real shot at Tank Carradine! I have him rated right in line with sheldon Richarson and im a huge Richardson fan. So far so good Niners!! I still think we round out our roster with one or 2 more free agents such as richard seymour or someone.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

I'm sold.
When we got Glen Dorsey he became my top mock pick.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Love the pick. Eric Reid has been mocked going in the late teens early twenties in most recent mock drafts. Great player, fits a need, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I have a feeling Baalke looks to trade down from 34 with QB needy teams looking to get their guy. Jets trade up for Geno Smith perhaps?
I loved the value that they got for the trade, but I was surprised that they took Reid so early. He completely fits what the Bengals like in a FS, though, so if they loved him, they probably couldn't have waited. I was hoping for something more sparkly though, like Eifert. I get distracted by shiny things. Sometimes I see one and I just
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sam Farmer ********@LATimesfarmer 26m

Lots of teams loved Reid and had fingers crossed he would slide. Oops. Mayock had him going to the Bengals at #21 and Zimmer personally worked him out

I think he really fits the bill for them defensively. This is a bigger safety with great movement skills. He's a playmaker on the back end. I'd like to see him be a more consistent tackler, but trust me: Being coached by Mike Zimmer, he will become one.

This is confusing. Zimmer is the defensive coordinator for the Bengals, not the 49ers. How is Reid going to get coached by Zimmer?
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sam Farmer ********@LATimesfarmer 26m

Lots of teams loved Reid and had fingers crossed he would slide. Oops. Mayock had him going to the Bengals at #21 and Zimmer personally worked him out

I think he really fits the bill for them defensively. This is a bigger safety with great movement skills. He's a playmaker on the back end. I'd like to see him be a more consistent tackler, but trust me: Being coached by Mike Zimmer, he will become one.

This is confusing. Zimmer is the defensive coordinator for the Bengals, not the 49ers. How is Reid going to get coached by Zimmer?

I think the point is tackling better can be coached. Just like Goldson was coached into a better tackler. Up until the end of 2011, Goldson was very suspect in that area when he first became a starter.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think the point is tackling better can be coached. Just like Goldson was coached into a better tackler. Up until the end of 2011, Goldson was very suspect in that area when he first became a starter.

Confused the duck out me, but that ain't so hard to do.

Originally posted by Baldie:
With Woodson saying he would lower his demands to play for the niners (read somewhere last week), I think them drafting Reid could potentially set-up a Woodson signing at close the vet minimum. I mean no one wants him, he's still unsigned. Why not sign him to a vet minimum with incentives especially if we make it to the SB. Woodson can come in and groom Reid for a year or maybe even give him breathers during the season. At this point in Woodsons career, he just wants to make it to the SB before he calls it quits. Niners give him a great chance for that.

Been saying this all along as well.
Noticed he plays all over the field, especially the slot routes crossing at around 12 yards. Seems to have some versatility.
Eric Reid, FS, LSU

This is from a magazine Ebony [forget the rest BUT Charles Davis of the NFL Network contributed and I TOTALLY agree. It depends on which Reid we get, and I'm betting on Baalke that we get the 2011 Version.

Reid is perhaps the most physically impressive player in this draft class. Certainly the most physically impressive safety. Reid has all the talent in the world. He is extremely fast and strong, he hits very hard, he has decent instincts. The question with Reid is what type of player are you getting? Do you get the 2011 version of Reid where he looked like an early first round caliber player and a future all pro? or do you get the 2012 Reid who looked out of place and lost for most of the season last year? If you get the former, he could be the biggest steal in the draft, if you get the latter he will be a career special teamer and journeyman. Boom or Bust. As an example of how much disagreement there is in draft circles about Reid, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL network says he wouldn't take Reid until at least the mid second while Charles Davis, of the same network, would take him as high at 13 to the Buccaneers(as the top safety in the class). Jeremiah formerly worked for the Ravens.
I think this pick is more a reflection of how whitner got picked on for 3 TDs on the 1st half of the Super Bowl, than the loss of our ProBowl FS. Wouldn't be surprised to see another safety get picked to be in the mix.
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I see a huge dropoff from the player selected three slots above him, Vacarro. To me, this was strictly a needs-based pick, and teams tend to find themselves in trouble when that happens (Chilo Rachal is our classic example). You have to stick with your board as much as possible.

The Niners are not alone. The Giants and Bears at 19 and 20 also fell into this same trap. They will regret passing on Eifert sometime soon because they were hoping to fill a big need along the OL.

Now, some will accuse me of stating that I think Reid is a bad player. Reid is not a bad player. However, at 18, you have to do better than Reid. I see him as a late second round, early third round value.

In your opinion. Obviously, the Niners felt differently about Reid, and have proven time and time again that they have a pretty good idea what they are doing. Until they prove themselves incompetent, I'm going to assume their opinion of a player is more valid than yours.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

"A huge dropoff" meaning what? He's not as big? He's not as fast? He's not as smart? He had a bad game against WV and Geno Smith (5 tds vs. Vacarro)?

Easy enough to have a critical opinion of the pick ("I don't like it." "I don't think he's that good." "I see a huge dropoff") but what do you mean?

From what I've seen, so far, he seems to have all the tools--he's fluid in the hips, has great ball skills, reacts well to the run and hits like a truck (much better that Vacarro). Vacarro may be a little better in coverage, but doesn't seem as good in run support.

So where's the "huge dropoff?"

An who'd be better at 18? Geno Smith? Teo? Barkley? Who?