There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

i voted A..because the the niners said he was #1 on their board.
Looks like a Dashon Goldson copy in my eyes. Same strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lphjeNCyI0

I like the pick, especially because we robbed the cowboys in the trade and had to get in front of the bengals, who wanted a safety, too.
Originally posted by 5timechamps:

i did the same,
I just trust our FO
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Everyone hated the Aldon Smith pick too.

A lot of them and a lot lof them loved the Taylor Mays pick
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Harbaugh recruited him out of high school...wanted him BAD
for which college was that?
Excellent football player. My one concern is Matt Elam, DJ Swearinger, Jon Cyprien are all very good players too. The Niners moved up to get their man but could have stood pat and landed an excellent safety nonetheless. Perhaps Reid even falls to #31 but who knows.

I think if any team is going to move up they should draft someone who they could not have gotten at 31. Dion Jordan and Tavon Austin are examples. The Dolphins or Rams could not have stood pat and drafted anyone like these guys. They had to move up to make these moves and did.
a slightly faster Dashon Goldson, I like it. Although it could mean he'll just get out of position that much quicker.

No matter what though, I feel much better about the S position now.

Today is where it gets exciting.
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Originally posted by 5timechamps:

i did the same,
I just trust our FO

Exactly
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I give it an A if we drafted him play SS, but C+ for FS

Exactly how I feel. Maybe they can get a sleeper FS in the later rounds.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Harbaugh recruited him out of high school...wanted him BAD
for which college was that?

Stanford
‏@MaioccoCSN Jim Harbaugh said Eric Reid was the 49ers' top-rated safety . . . over Kenny Vaccaro

Originally posted by stever:
Looks like a Dashon Goldson copy in my eyes. Same strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lphjeNCyI0

I like the pick, especially because we robbed the cowboys in the trade and had to get in front of the bengals, who wanted a safety, too.

While they may have similar traits as far as physicality and athleticism are concerned, I believe Reid will be a more cerebral safety and a way better leader.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by alburns:
OVERVIEW
It was a no-brainer for Reid, a highly-touted national recruit with an excellent academic record, to commit to LSU. His father is in the school’s athletic hall of fame as an All-American hurdler, winning the NCAA championship in the 110-meter hurdles as a senior in 1987. Eric Reid, Sr. still works on the LSU campus, so his son got to know the facilities and team’s coaches quite well growing up.

That familiarity bred early success for Reid, as he played in all 13 games, got crucial playing time against Alabama (six tackles, one for loss) and got starts in the final three regular season games. And though he didn’t start the team’s bowl win over Texas A&M, he still came through with seven stops and an interception. As a sophomore, Reid started all 12 games in which he played, leaving the Ole Miss game and missing the Arkansas contest with a thigh injury. His team-leading 76 tackles, two interceptions, three pass break-ups and two forced fumbles on the year earned him second-team All-SEC honors from league media. Reid continued that momentum into 2012, starting every game while compiling 91 total tackles. He added seven pass breakups to go with two interceptions.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Tall, long safety with a solid overall build that is still getting stronger. All-around defender who can play the run and pass. Flashes excellent closing speed, pummels receivers after the catch when coming downhill and can get into the backfield if smelling out the play after the snap. Has length and attitude to wrap up ballcarriers in the open field. Brings power into cut tackles, lowering his shoulder to stop running backs cold. Also lays the wood over the middle, putting a shoulder into their midsection. Gets physical with receivers attempting to block him in the run game. Has athleticism to handle tight ends in the passing game. Possesses the height, vertical and competitive nature to win jump balls. Good enough hands to take advantage of poor throws, will undercut receivers and can catch the ball away from his frame.
WEAKNESSES Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn’t hurt him in college.
NFL COMPARISON Mark Barron
BOTTOM LINE The next SEC safety on which scouts have their eye, Reid brings the size, athleticism, intelligence and toughness to become an impact player in coverage (14 passes defended in the last two seasons) as well as against the run (91 total tackles) at the next level. The junior can get too overaggressive with his angles, but if Reid can rein in the athleticism, he has plenty of range to make plays all over the field.

When you copy and paste you should provide a link to the source.

Here it is

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/eric-reid?id=2540152
  • buck
  • Veteran
Dang double posts. sorry
[ Edited by buck on Apr 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM ]
Safety was 100% the right choice with our 1st pick. And if GM has Reid at #1 (prob after Vaccaro) why not move up to grab him? I mean keeping all our picks is a waste anyway. keep packaging picks in later rounds to move up to grab players you covet. (or of course for picks next year).

I am really interested to see what happens with #34 pick with all the QBs except Manual still on the board. Teams must know Philly, Cards etc will prob take a QB so if someone wants to get ahead we would be a good trade partner. this could be a chance to grab a #1 pick next year.

If we keep the pick i feel we need to address D-line. Tank Carradine, Jessie Williams, Margus Hunt etc. I dont want to see a TE or WR taken #34.