There are 245 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Oh, ok. There's been conflicting reports on him.

Per ESPN:

What he brings: Reid's 2012 film was not quite as good as his 2011 tape, but he came on late in the season and showed how good he can be. He has great size and length, as well as excellent fluidity. He needs to clean up his angles in run support, though his range and closing burst provide him with a lot of upside both in coverage and as a run defender.
While I understand the temptation to compare the two, the comparison of Reid to Taylor Mays is preposterous. Mays was a well built athlete and had great straight ahead speed but he couldn't change directions nearly fast enough to play safety. He was a classic 'tweener.....too big and stiff to play safety and not big enough to play LB. It is hard to believe that pick occurred so recently. The Niners' front office is light years ahead of where they were when they took Mays.

For those of you who have doubts about this guy, the Niners really did their homework on Reid. Harbaugh recruited him to go to Stanford so he has known him for 4 years. Baalke, Donatell, and Fangio all signed off on this guy as well. I think we can all relax now.

Cheers!
Originally posted by theduke85:
Wait, he moved Reid ahead of Cyprien in his latest rankings.Still behind Elam though.

Except Elam is 5'10", that was likely a big knock against him after the 49ers saw how Whitner was exposed due to his inability to get up and contest passes. Reid is 6'1" with a 40 inch vertical, he doesn't have that issue.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM ]
He seems, like most safeties in this draft, more of a SS. I do not think we needed to trade up for him or even use a first round pick.
No way would Reid have been at pick #31. I read where the Giants,Bengals and Rams all targeted Reid. The Rams moved from the 22nd pick when Reid was no longer available. Baalke got his guy and moved up 13 spots for only the #74 pick. Thank you Jerry Jones.
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Jim Harbaugh said Eric Reid was the 49ers' top-rated safety . . . over Kenny Vaccaro.


Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Wait, he moved Reid ahead of Cyprien in his latest rankings.Still behind Elam though.

Except Elam is 5'10", that was likely a big knock against him after the 49ers saw how Whitner was exposed due to his inability to get up and contest passes. Reid is 6'1" with a 40 inch vertical, he doesn't have that issue.
That and him having a gold helmet sticker for being all academic american sealed the deal.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Originally posted by susweel:
anybody got any links of him getting drafted I was driving home when they made the trade. I think baalke did it on purpose.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000163758/49ers-draft-Eric-Reid-No-18


thank you
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I like Reid But I hate the trade up for him

Yup.... Don't think we needed to make the move but now it's done... Go 9ers!!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Jim Harbaugh said Eric Reid was the 49ers' top-rated safety . . . over Kenny Vaccaro.



i dont believe him
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Jim Harbaugh said Eric Reid was the 49ers' top-rated safety . . . over Kenny Vaccaro.


Not surprised, i never wanted Vaccaro in the first place.
Sam Farmer ********@LATimesfarmer 26m

Lots of teams loved Reid and had fingers crossed he would slide. Oops. Mayock had him going to the Bengals at #21 and Zimmer personally worked him out


I think he really fits the bill for them defensively. This is a bigger safety with great movement skills. He's a playmaker on the back end. I'd like to see him be a more consistent tackler, but trust me: Being coached by Mike Zimmer, he will become one.
Could we have taken Reid at 31?
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
No way would Reid have been at pick #31. I read where the Giants,Bengals and Rams all targeted Reid. The Rams moved from the 22nd pick when Reid was no longer available. Baalke got his guy and moved up 13 spots for only the #74 pick. Thank you Jerry Jones.

This. Rams had a major need for safety, so did the Bengals. I wouldn't have been surprised to see either one take Reid. Baalke purposefully jumped in front of both of them to get the safety he wanted.
Originally posted by hofer36:
i trust balke's ratingsmuch more than mayock

agree... i wonder if they'll reveal there top 100 after the deraft x)
welcome to him I hope he turns into a pro bowl player.