There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Quote: "This is the NFL," Reid said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. "Guys are a little bit stronger and little bit bigger than what I'm used to playing, so I might have to adjust the way I play a little bit. . . .
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/eric-reid-plans-to-adjust-his-style-to-avoid-concussions/

This is not good. Now he's going to be less agressive and might end up missing tackles..

NO, he is just saying he isn't going to go for the knock out blows anymore. I love this kid and think that maybe he was trying to impress his new teammates a little too much. Trying to be that enforcer that Goldson was in the middle of the field.

All he has to do is follow the new NFL Heads Up Tackle initiative and that will prevent the injury he has sustained so far.

This, on the bright side, could mean he'l focus additional attention to breaking passes up (and INT's) and lower, form tackling methods. It's hard on the lower tackled b/c receivers have a natural tendency to lower THEIR shoulders for protection making the strike zone even more unrealistic. I guess you gotta rip knees up these days. Taking a fine and penalty may be better in the end over brain damage playing by the rules.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Quote: "This is the NFL," Reid said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. "Guys are a little bit stronger and little bit bigger than what I'm used to playing, so I might have to adjust the way I play a little bit. . . .
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/eric-reid-plans-to-adjust-his-style-to-avoid-concussions/

This is not good. Now he's going to be less agressive and might end up missing tackles..

NO, he is just saying he isn't going to go for the knock out blows anymore. I love this kid and think that maybe he was trying to impress his new teammates a little too much. Trying to be that enforcer that Goldson was in the middle of the field.

All he has to do is follow the new NFL Heads Up Tackle initiative and that will prevent the injury he has sustained so far.

This, on the bright side, could mean he'l focus additional attention to breaking passes up (and INT's) and lower, form tackling methods. It's hard on the lower tackled b/c receivers have a natural tendency to lower THEIR shoulders for protection making the strike zone even more unrealistic. I guess you gotta rip knees up these days. Taking a fine and penalty may be better in the end over brain damage playing by the rules.

I think he's missed some tackles trying to blow guys up. He needs to be smarter when he tackles. WRs are ok to blow up.... Full backs? Don't do it.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I think he's missed some tackles trying to blow guys up. He needs to be smarter when he tackles. WRs are ok to blow up.... Full backs? Don't do it.

rice says different
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Goldson never got KO'd.

Your right, he was just a little girl always getting hurt his first couple of years.

And was the cause of mark roman on the field
Jk jk
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
This really sucks...... I really like Reid, (as everyone does). Very worried about his future with us or even in the NFL for that reason. I dont know s**t about concussions, but yeah, 2 in 8 weeks? alarming...

i don't think he got a serious concussion this last time. it wasn't a direct head shot that thrashes the brain; it was more like getting punched in the jaw with a left hook. he took a hit to the side of his face just like getting a good, boxing blow; kinda twists your head, shocking your spine and brain stem, putting your lights out for several seconds. it's different from a hard concussion which gives your whole brain a big whack against your skull and scrambles every marble you have and lasts days/weeks/months. a big hit to the side of your jaw/face that mainly gives you a violent twist will knock you out, but not give you a severe concussion because it's not really a direct blow to the brain, just a mean jerk on your upper spinal cord, temporarily knocking you out, but your cerebral function is not damaged like it is with a blunt force bludgeoning to the skull.
[ Edited by xcfan on Nov 16, 2013 at 3:42 AM ]
Hope Reid has a big game this weekend!

Its what Ive been thinking is happening out there with Reid. The dude is playing his game from college in the big waters of the NFL. Hes now found out that he cant just go in and blow people up . . . . yet. He has to adjust for now and work his way back into the big hitting scene.

Hes young and we have many years to come of Reids Greatest Hits.
OK, a quick break from the hand wringing and whining for this announcement . . . Eric Reid changes his own oil.

https://twitter.com/E_Reid35/status/402576080403709952

Don't know why, but I find that cool.
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0ap2000000285130/article/peyton-manning-no-1-in-pro-bowl-votes-with-five-weeks-left

eric reid may be earl thomas' back up in the pro bowl

Originally posted by denali22:
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0ap2000000285130/article/peyton-manning-no-1-in-pro-bowl-votes-with-five-weeks-left

yah but too bad his career will be over by then because of concussions.
Originally posted by susweel:
yah but too bad his career will be over by then because of concussions.

tldr

cliffs: i can potato
Originally posted by denali22:

he'll be playing in the Pro Bowl while Thomas is preparing for the Superbowl
^^^ webzone strikes again

and what has he done since the run in with tolbert?

hit when he needs to against smaller opponents. (the hit on the wr is what made him lose control of the ball out of bounds)
and tackle cleanly around the ankles at rb's who come at him full speed.

cannot express just how smart he really is.
changed his entire approach depending on the target and didn't miss a beat.

and still nobody throws deep when its his responsibility to be deep in coverage
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
and what has he done since the run in with tolbert?

hit when he needs to against smaller opponents. (the hit on the wr is what made him lose control of the ball out of bounds)
and tackle cleanly around the ankles at rb's who come at him full speed.

cannot express just how smart he really is.
changed his entire approach depending on the target and didn't miss a beat.

and still nobody throws deep when its his responsibility to be deep in coverage

He's going to be the best safety in the NFL at some point, I mean when you talk about the total package, this guy is the total package, if you went to work and constructed your ideal safety with intelligence, athleticism, on field awareness, leadership, physical size.......you really couldn't do much better than Reid. Not to go full-homer mode but this guy is simply amazing, just an incredible addition, its no surprise that the secondary has stepped up big time with him out on the field.