There are 558 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You guys are way overreacting to this. He never had a concussion problem in his life. He doesn't have a concussion problem. He has an NFL RULES CHANGES problem. Everytime he gets a concussion he tackles with the side of his helmet like his earhole. That's a very, very unnatural way to tackle. Truth be told it's best to just lower your shoulders and tackle straight on. The way he tackles trying to avoid penalties leaves him very vulnerable and his head in a position where you can get a whiplash type effect which can concuss the brain more severely.

Reid should just tackle straight on and penalties be damned. If's better if you lower the boom than put your head in a position for it to lowered on you.

We need to just accept a few penalties with him. Tackle like it's natural and stop worrying about the 15 yard penalty.

I hope this is the truth and yes if it is then fire away young Mr. Reid. Even if it bites us in the ass during a critical game so be it. The positives in the long run should outweigh the negatives.

I agree he just needs to tackle natural. Don't worry about the penalty.
You guys are way overreacting to this. He never had a concussion problem in his life. He doesn't have a concussion problem. He has an NFL RULES CHANGES problem. Everytime he gets a concussion he tackles with the side of his helmet like his earhole. That's a very, very unnatural way to tackle. Truth be told it's best to just lower your shoulders and tackle straight on. The way he tackles trying to avoid penalties leaves him very vulnerable and his head in a position where you can get a whiplash type effect which can concuss the brain more severely.

Reid should just tackle straight on and penalties be damned. If's better if you lower the boom than put your head in a position for it to lowered on you.

We need to just accept a few penalties with him. Tackle like it's natural and stop worrying about the 15 yard penalty.

I'm not one for "accepting penalties" but this is something I may have to agree with. Eric Reid is putting himself in harms way. He's not doing the team any favors if he puts himself in a vulnerable position. If this is how the NFL is going call it, tackle the guy high, or go for the knees and let the chips fall where they may.
This really sucks...... I really like Reid, (as everyone does). Very worried about his future with us or even in the NFL for that reason. I dont know s**t about concussions, but yeah, 2 in 8 weeks? alarming...
Yes! Vernon and Reid just got cleared to practice, and posibbly play this week! whew! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/13/vernon-davis-eric-reid-cleared-for-non-contact-work/
Originally posted by defenderDX:
This really sucks...... I really like Reid, (as everyone does). Very worried about his future with us or even in the NFL for that reason. I dont know s**t about concussions, but yeah, 2 in 8 weeks? alarming...

I'm not too worried about it yet. I blame the f**king NFL for trying to fix one problem and making another problem worse, Reid simply needs to be coached to go lower, by trying to hit guys properly the way the NFL wants him to do, rather than the way he's always been taught, he's putting himself in the line of danger and making concussions more likely. As long as defensive players try to go by the rules and offensive players keep dropping their helmet in the open field, this will continue to happen across the NFL.

At this point, I'd rather Reid just unload on a guy the way he's always been taught, take the 15 yard penalty, make it back to the huddle and keep playing.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'm not one for "accepting penalties" but this is something I may have to agree with. Eric Reid is putting himself in harms way. He's not doing the team any favors if he puts himself in a vulnerable position. If this is how the NFL is going call it, tackle the guy high, or go for the knees and let the chips fall where they may.

He's going to have to tackle another way. You can't tackle with your earhole with your helmet to the side and not expect problems.
Originally posted by NikeSBHead:
Yes! Vernon and Reid just got cleared to practice, and posibbly play this week! whew! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/13/vernon-davis-eric-reid-cleared-for-non-contact-work/

This means nothing.
Says he never lost consciousness, so that is a semi-good thing I guess.
LOL the dude hits people so hard he knocks himself out!
Hope to see him on the field this weekend.
Quote: "This is the NFL," Reid said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. "Guys are a little bit stronger and little bit bigger than what I'm used to playing, so I might have to adjust the way I play a little bit. . . .
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/eric-reid-plans-to-adjust-his-style-to-avoid-concussions/

This is not good. Now he's going to be less agressive and might end up missing tackles..
Originally posted by verb1der:
Quote: "This is the NFL," Reid said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. "Guys are a little bit stronger and little bit bigger than what I'm used to playing, so I might have to adjust the way I play a little bit. . . .
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/eric-reid-plans-to-adjust-his-style-to-avoid-concussions/

This is not good. Now he's going to be less agressive and might end up missing tackles..

Or it could mean that instead of continuing his clean, form tackling, he is going to start going the opposite way and start lowering and leading with his head and knocking guys out.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
Goldson never got KO'd.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Goldson never got KO'd.

Your right, he was just a little girl always getting hurt his first couple of years.
Originally posted by verb1der:

NO, he is just saying he isn't going to go for the knock out blows anymore. I love this kid and think that maybe he was trying to impress his new teammates a little too much. Trying to be that enforcer that Goldson was in the middle of the field.

All he has to do is follow the new NFL Heads Up Tackle initiative and that will prevent the injury he has sustained so far.