There are 197 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He lead with his shoulder and the RB lead with his head. If Reid was allowed to lead with his head and shoulder like he was taught since he first started playing then he is also protected, both guys get a little woozy and get up and play. But instead, our guy gets a helmet to the chin and is knocked out cold. very dangerous and disturbing play.

That's what happens when you let old farts who don't play football come up with safety rules to protect their wallets. f**king NFL rules are a complete joke.

The one thing that I haven't seen called all year is the offensive player leading with the helmet thing. I mean, it happens frequently... Adrian Peterson does it damn near every time.

Its good they arent calling it, because its a stupid f**king rule. Just like 99% of the calls on defensive hits are stupid f**king calls. I get the defenseless receiver calls, but 99% of the calls on those hits are not really hits on defenseless WR's.

You pretty much cant even touch the QB anymore unless you have a perfect shot on him. The whole going low on a QB rule is ridiculous. These rues help nothing. Injurys will and do happen regardless, with the same frequency.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Its good they arent calling it, because its a stupid f**king rule. Just like 99% of the calls on defensive hits are stupid f**king calls. I get the defenseless receiver calls, but 99% of the calls on those hits are not really hits on defenseless WR's.

You pretty much cant even touch the QB anymore unless you have a perfect shot on him. The whole going low on a QB rule is ridiculous. These rues help nothing. Injurys will and do happen regardless, with the same frequency.

Hey, I agree completely that the Running Back Leading Helmet (whatever the fuq it's called) rule is stupid as hell. I think most of these new rules are stupid. Anything that isn't malicious shouldn't be called, IMO. If a receiver is going over the middle and clearly drops the ball but the safety jacks him up regardless, yeah, that should be a flag. But a receiver that catches the ball and decides to dive at the last second when the defender is already mid-tackle should NOT be called.

The Hi-Lo rule is stupid, too. It's not even called correctly most of the time and it cost us that Ravens game on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.

I still think Holding is way too severe a penalty. For teams with crappy offenses (like ours) it completely kills a drive. It should be a five yard penalty, not ten.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Hey, I agree completely that the Running Back Leading Helmet (whatever the fuq it's called) rule is stupid as hell. I think most of these new rules are stupid. Anything that isn't malicious shouldn't be called, IMO. If a receiver is going over the middle and clearly drops the ball but the safety jacks him up regardless, yeah, that should be a flag. But a receiver that catches the ball and decides to dive at the last second when the defender is already mid-tackle should NOT be called.

The Hi-Lo rule is stupid, too. It's not even called correctly most of the time and it cost us that Ravens game on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.

I still think Holding is way too severe a penalty. For teams with crappy offenses (like ours) it completely kills a drive. It should be a five yard penalty, not ten.

I agree with the holding should be 5 yards. Hell even just a loss of down would be fine. Especially when it is such a judgment call most of the time considering every single play made in the NFL has someone holding somewhere that could potentially be called.
At what point do these concussions become a threat to Reid's long-term health? Did he have any in college? I love the kid and I want him on the field but not if it's going to f**k up his life.
Originally posted by swayze:
At what point do these concussions become a threat to Reid's long-term health? Did he have any in college? I love the kid and I want him on the field but not if it's going to f**k up his life.

there were no reports of concussion issues at LSU. You gotta figure if there were, his draft status would've dropped tremendously. A free safety that has issues with concussions???

I have a feeling Reid will not be around very long. The collision with Tolbert wasn't even that head on, yet reid was out cold, for the second time in 8 weeks. NO BUENO especially for a FS. If he were a QB, you could say, "we just have to protect him better." But a FS, who'd duty it is to lay the lumber?
Dont know if its been said already but I think the kid hasnt adjusted to physicality of the NFL. Sure hes a big guy and can look after himself but hes getting knocked around by men who have been in the game a few years longer out there. When hes more fine-tuned he'll lay down some good wood for us to comment on.
You guys are way overreacting to this. He never had a concussion problem in his life. He doesn't have a concussion problem. He has an NFL RULES CHANGES problem. Everytime he gets a concussion he tackles with the side of his helmet like his earhole. That's a very, very unnatural way to tackle. Truth be told it's best to just lower your shoulders and tackle straight on. The way he tackles trying to avoid penalties leaves him very vulnerable and his head in a position where you can get a whiplash type effect which can concuss the brain more severely.

Reid should just tackle straight on and penalties be damned. If's better if you lower the boom than put your head in a position for it to lowered on you.

We need to just accept a few penalties with him. Tackle like it's natural and stop worrying about the 15 yard penalty.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You guys are way overreacting to this. He never had a concussion problem in his life. He doesn't have a concussion problem. He has an NFL RULES CHANGES problem. Everytime he gets a concussion he tackles with the side of his helmet like his earhole. That's a very, very unnatural way to tackle. Truth be told it's best to just lower your shoulders and tackle straight on. The way he tackles trying to avoid penalties leaves him very vulnerable and his head in a position where you can get a whiplash type effect which can concuss the brain more severely.

Reid should just tackle straight on and penalties be damned. If's better if you lower the boom than put your head in a position for it to lowered on you.

We need to just accept a few penalties with him. Tackle like it's natural and stop worrying about the 15 yard penalty.

I hope this is the truth and yes if it is then fire away young Mr. Reid. Even if it bites us in the ass during a critical game so be it. The positives in the long run should outweigh the negatives.
The NFL rules are shortening safeties careers. Sad thing is they probably don't care as long as the spotlight QBs and WRs are unharmed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

there were no reports of concussion issues at LSU. You gotta figure if there were, his draft status would've dropped tremendously. A free safety that has issues with concussions???

I have a feeling Reid will not be around very long. The collision with Tolbert wasn't even that head on, yet reid was out cold, for the second time in 8 weeks. NO BUENO especially for a FS. If he were a QB, you could say, "we just have to protect him better." But a FS, who'd duty it is to lay the lumber?

Getting hit in the side of the head is worse. Soccer players have worse injuries to their brains because of the way they play (heading the ball off side if their head)
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Getting hit in the side of the head is worse. Soccer players have worse injuries to their brains because of the way they play (heading the ball off side if their head)

This. UEFA and FIFA are conducting studies now because the average player heads a ball 7-10 times a game, with half of those coming from high speed shots or free kicks. Because soccer allows for most players to play into their 40s many scientists are actually thinking that their damage may be near equal that of an NFL player.
I hope he's not another Jahvid Best

Please get better fast Reid and please never have a concussion again. Get yourself the best helmet possible with ultra super anti concussion padding or something. I don't want to see you out cold anymore! For the 49ers sake and your sake!
any word on him? imo our d will slowly unravel without him for the long term he was that good right from the start

Head on is not the issue. He got hit right in the ear hole, and i can tell you from experience thats the worst place to get hit from a concussion standpoint. That was a brutal hit.
I find it ironic that merriweather has multiple dirty head shot before he gets concussed but reid hits hard and clean and he now has two concussions. Obviously the NFLs master plan to prevent getting sued again is failing.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM ]