There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Huge draft pick win. Love this pick more and more
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by NCommand:
How many in NT said Goldson was HIGHLY overrated.

Here you go: Eric Reid – When Dashon Goldson signed his mega-deal with the Buccaneers, the 49ers knew that his loss would be significant. However, rookie Eric Reid has filled in and is having a far better statistical year than Goldson. Reid has three interceptions, Goldson has none. Goldson has three penalties, Reid has none. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Goldson's passer rating in throws against him is 148.9, Reid's passer rating against him is 52.9. Reid is in contention for Defensive Rookie of the Year, and unfortunately, Goldson is in the running for Overpaid Safety of the Year.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/06/10-biggest-surprises-in-the-first-half-of-the-49ers-season/#17578-8

That doesn't mean much. Reid plays in a secondary behind the best front seven he'll ever see. Goldson has been hurt and plays on the most dysfunctional squad in the league. Not trying to take anything away from Reid. He's already better than Goldson and getting better but all the Goldson and Whitner hate on this site is disgusting.

I think that's fair and you definitely have a point. But you can also make the argument that our pass rush has dropped off with the absence of Aldon and yet Reid is still playing out of his mind right now. And from I've seen and heard, Goldson, as a vet, is still making the same mistakes he made here; blowing far too many coverages just to make the big hit and appear on the highlight reel. It's just so much more noticeable since he's on a poor team now. And I say this as a fan of Dashon, I freaked out when he left and wish he would've stayed. But it's really night and day with Reid being back there now instead of Goldy. Call me crazy but I think a big reason our secondary has been playing so much better this year as opposed to last is because of the rook lol.

I just posted in the Whitner thread about Reid's ability to read offenses and call proper coverages. This is where the true difference lies. Goldson sucks at it. Reid is also just flat out better than Goldson in all aspects except hard hitting, but even in that category Reid is no slouch. He is one of the harder hitting safeties in the NFL already. Goldson just happens to be the hardest hitting safety, period.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
As crazy as it sounds, between the value he brings as a player and the dropoff in quality with the backup (Dahl), I think Reid is probably our most important player on defense this year.
Originally posted by Disp:
As crazy as it sounds, between the value he brings as a player and the dropoff in quality with the backup (Dahl), I think Reid is probably our most important player on defense this year.

I had not thought of this but good point. When he and Whitner went out in the Titans game, that is when they started to roll a little.
this dude is gonna be an all pro for years to come. I dont think ive seen a player in recent memory come in that good and only get better every week. he makes a mistake once and then never makes it again.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this dude is gonna be an all pro for years to come. I dont think ive seen a player in recent memory come in that good and only get better every week. he makes a mistake once and then never makes it again.

Willis comes to mind. Good sign indeed.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Willis and Bowman for sure, but what I was tryin to get at is that its kind of rare, unless youre a niner fan lol

Willis and Bowman for sure, but what I was tryin to get at is that its kind of rare, unless youre a niner fan lol

The only other rookie safeties I can remember making this much of an impact in recent memory was Louis Delmas and Earl Thomas... maybe Eric Berry but I think he got injured his rookie year, cant remember. But yeah, its awesome to have Reid back there and the crazy thing is he will only get bigger and faster as he continues to workout with pros and learn about offenses.
Originally posted by 5280High:

The only other rookie safeties I can remember making this much of an impact in recent memory was Louis Delmas and Earl Thomas... maybe Eric Berry but I think he got injured his rookie year, cant remember. But yeah, its awesome to have Reid back there and the crazy thing is he will only get bigger and faster as he continues to workout with pros and learn about offenses.
for sure man. I think he was a homerun. if the niners could just draft prospects like that at receiver now...
for sure man. I think he was a homerun. if the niners could just draft prospects like that at receiver now...

I am beginning to wonder if the team might need a new receivers coach.
Originally posted by Disp:

This needs to be corrected. Its obvious that Dahl shouldn't be doing anything beyond special teams. Would like to see the 49ers add another safety through the draft if Whitner stays or two more safeties if he leaves in the offseason.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

You're not the only one, that's for sure.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I think we do. Other teams can at least get something out of their mediocre receivers (see NE, Carolina w/ Ginn, etc). Here, it just seems like receivers continue to struggle and fail. That says a lot about the coaching IMO. Crabtree is the only receiver this team has drafted in recent memory that has been a success and that's because Crabtree is a beast.
I think we do. Other teams can at least get something out of their mediocre receivers (see NE, Carolina w/ Ginn, etc). Here, it just seems like receivers continue to struggle and fail. That says a lot about the coaching IMO. Crabtree is the only receiver this team has drafted in recent memory that has been a success and that's because Crabtree is a beast.

Crabtree didn't really come on until last season as well, I've thought that the additions of Manningham and Moss had a lot to do with his improvement overall.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Crabtree didn't really come on until last season as well, I've thought that the additions of Manningham and Moss had a lot to do with his improvement overall.

Of course this could be a Kap confidence thing too, he definitely doesn't spread the ball around as much as he should. I forget sometimes that this kid is only in his second year and is still learning.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home