There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

How many in NT said Goldson was HIGHLY overrated.

Here you go: Eric Reid – When Dashon Goldson signed his mega-deal with the Buccaneers, the 49ers knew that his loss would be significant. However, rookie Eric Reid has filled in and is having a far better statistical year than Goldson. Reid has three interceptions, Goldson has none. Goldson has three penalties, Reid has none. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Goldson's passer rating in throws against him is 148.9, Reid's passer rating against him is 52.9. Reid is in contention for Defensive Rookie of the Year, and unfortunately, Goldson is in the running for Overpaid Safety of the Year.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/06/10-biggest-surprises-in-the-first-half-of-the-49ers-season/#17578-8
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Here you go: Eric Reid – When Dashon Goldson signed his mega-deal with the Buccaneers, the 49ers knew that his loss would be significant. However, rookie Eric Reid has filled in and is having a far better statistical year than Goldson. Reid has three interceptions, Goldson has none. Goldson has three penalties, Reid has none. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Goldson's passer rating in throws against him is 148.9, Reid's passer rating against him is 52.9. Reid is in contention for Defensive Rookie of the Year, and unfortunately, Goldson is in the running for Overpaid Safety of the Year.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/06/10-biggest-surprises-in-the-first-half-of-the-49ers-season/#17578-8

That doesn't mean much. Reid plays in a secondary behind the best front seven he'll ever see. Goldson has been hurt and plays on the most dysfunctional squad in the league. Not trying to take anything away from Reid. He's already better than Goldson and getting better but all the Goldson and Whitner hate on this site is disgusting.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
That doesn't mean much. Reid plays in a secondary behind the best front seven he'll ever see. Goldson has been hurt and plays on the most dysfunctional squad in the league. Not trying to take anything away from Reid. He's already better than Goldson and getting better but all the Goldson and Whitner hate on this site is disgusting.

I personally don't hate Goldson, I just think he was/is vastly overrated and overhyped. I don't hold it against him for not being as good as Reid, the room was a top 20 pick and Da$hon was picked in the fifth round, he's supposed to be better.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I personally don't hate Goldson, I just think he was/is vastly overrated and overhyped. I don't hold it against him for not being as good as Reid, the room was a top 20 pick and Da$hon was picked in the fifth round, he's supposed to be better.

This! Gold$son was offered a very fair 5 year 25M contract to stay with us. He chose the $ and we're much better off now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

goldsonexcuses. you have noted that our d line guys are the walking wounded plus no aldon so we have had zero pass rush this year. Yet reid and the rest of the guys are playing at a level we did not see last year.

I think that's fair and you definitely have a point. But you can also make the argument that our pass rush has dropped off with the absence of Aldon and yet Reid is still playing out of his mind right now. And from I've seen and heard, Goldson, as a vet, is still making the same mistakes he made here; blowing far too many coverages just to make the big hit and appear on the highlight reel. It's just so much more noticeable since he's on a poor team now. And I say this as a fan of Dashon, I freaked out when he left and wish he would've stayed. But it's really night and day with Reid being back there now instead of Goldy. Call me crazy but I think a big reason our secondary has been playing so much better this year as opposed to last is because of the rook lol.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

I think that's fair and you definitely have a point. But you can also make the argument that our pass rush has dropped off with the absence of Aldon and yet Reid is still playing out of his mind right now. And from I've seen and heard, Goldson, as a vet, is still making the same mistakes he made here; blowing far too many coverages just to make the big hit and appear on the highlight reel. It's just so much more noticeable since he's on a poor team now. And I say this as a fan of Dashon, I freaked out when he left and wish he would've stayed. But it's really night and day with Reid being back there now instead of Goldy. Call me crazy but I think a big reason our secondary has been playing so much better this year as opposed to last is because of the rook lol.

You bet. I'll give the rook his due. He's been nothing short of spectacular thus far. I believe Whitner stepped up his game as well. They are playing really well together and ultimately that is why our secondary has improved so much. Nothing but love for the 49ers secondary right now. Love it!

I was NEVER a big fan of Goldson. Good in run support, poor in coverage. People just fell in love with the hits.

LOL.

Why?

Many of us see them as the players they are, not the fantasy of what other think they are.

Both players are good, solid safeties who excel in run support, hit hard, but are exposed in coverage. It's not a mystery.

Yeah because that front seven has been so killer this season. You seem to be awarding it on reputation, this team has been greatly lacking in pass rush due to injuries, suspensions..etc

The biggest difference I see in the secondary is Reid, he is better in coverage, plays smarter and seems to be far more synergistic with Whitner. His performance seems to have given confidence to everyone else in the secondary.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]

That doesn't mean much. Reid plays in a secondary behind the best front seven he'll ever see. Goldson has been hurt and plays on the most dysfunctional squad in the league. Not trying to take anything away from Reid. He's already better than Goldson and getting better but all the Goldson hate on this site is disgusting.

lol
Some play for the love of the game.

For some it is all they know.

Ronnie Lott breathed that every moment.

It is possible Eric Reid is like that.

NO ONE will ever be Ronnie Lott, ever again.

But this kid has something special.

its been the other way around. you can't tout how our front 7 has played when the team's sack leader in week 10 hasn't played a snap since week 3.