There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

There was a buzz in the stadium after that hit.

that was a wooooo hit
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Vaccaro is #3??? LOL! He isn't even the best rookie at his position! Reid is easily the best, followed by Honey Badger.

Kiper must be a Vacarro fan boy

Kiper had Reid behind a bunch of safeties during the draft, he had Vaccaro first, followed by guys like Elam, Cyprien...etc, he's just trying to save face at this point. Vaccaro has been a huge liability in coverage for the Saints, still won't stop Kiper from sucking his cawk.
Hilarious to see some of the preseason musings.
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/vaccaro-vs-eric-reid-295474/

As an LSU fan, Eric Reid is not a very good safety. He can not cover, hi misses tackles, and he would rather go for the highlight hit than actually wrap up ball carrier. Eric Reid is Tebucky Jones of this draft.

I don't know vaccarro. I've seen Reid play a lot. Reid will be a roman harper type safety. Good in certain schemes exposed in others. IMO he isn't a good fit for the 9ers. He is too much of a box safety. Gohlston was more of a free safety.

I thought Elam was the second best safety.

I liked Cyprien better than Elam or Reid, but Reid was my distant #4 safety.

Well...as talented as the Niners are, they are going to start taking huge steps backwards if they keep whiffing on their 1st round picks.

. No it really isn't. He was not a good coverage safety last year. He missed a lot of tackles. In fact you can look directly at the Clemson game and see a microcosm of how bad Reid was last season. I would not have touched Reid in the first round. Good athlete, but so was TeBucky.

Vacarro has a skill set (coverage skills) that Reid doesn't...

Does Eric Reid have a greater ceiling but lower floor than Matt Elam in the NFL? After Vaccaro, which safety projects with greater upside in the NFL, is it Cyprien? Mel Kiper (2:29 PM) Matt Elam I like a little better. Elam in the second and Reid in the third.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
In their defense, when was the last time you heard a Saints fan say something intelligent? Them losing to us in 2011 is still some giant conspiracy according to many Saints fans.
[ Edited by Disp on Oct 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

As an LSU fan, Eric Reid is not a very good safety. He can not cover, hi misses tackles, and he would rather go for the highlight hit than actually wrap up ball carrier. Eric Reid is Tebucky Jones of this draft.

I don't know vaccarro. I've seen Reid play a lot. Reid will be a roman harper type safety. Good in certain schemes exposed in others. IMO he isn't a good fit for the 9ers. He is too much of a box safety. Gohlston was more of a free safety.

Well...as talented as the Niners are, they are going to start taking huge steps backwards if they keep whiffing on their 1st round picks.

. No it really isn't. He was not a good coverage safety last year. He missed a lot of tackles. In fact you can look directly at the Clemson game and see a microcosm of how bad Reid was last season. I would not have touched Reid in the first round. Good athlete, but so was TeBucky.

Does Eric Reid have a greater ceiling but lower floor than Matt Elam in the NFL? After Vaccaro, which safety projects with greater upside in the NFL, is it Cyprien? Mel Kiper (2:29 PM) Matt Elam I like a little better. Elam in the second and Reid in the third.

Lol someone please sign up on there and bump that thread.

Lets see what they say now.
Comparing PFF numbers on some of the top safeties in the 2013 draft.

Kenny Vaccaro -6.1 Total. -2.6 in pass coverage.

Matt Elam -2.8 Total -1.8 in pass coverage

John Cyprien -18.6 Total -14.4 in pass coverage

DJ Swearinger -3.9 Total -1.8 in pass coverage

JJ Wilcox 0.3 Total -1.8 in pass coverage

Eric Reid 4.8(Ranked 12th among all safeties) 4.1 in pass coverage.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

This guy was on the money:

"Reid is easily better than Vaccaro and its really not even close.

Vaccaro is this year's Malcolm Jenkins - overhyped for no particular reason when his tape clearly shows a complete lack of ball skills. Heck, there is another post linking to Football Outsiders saying he "shut down Austin" when its anything but that - just watch the game! Like I said, just like Jenkins, Vaccaro is getting praise for things he is not - he has no ball skills, oft misses tackles, and all around just isn't a good football player.

Eric Reid had a completely uninspired season last year - like most of the LSU team. In his previous season, he was easily the best safety in college football. In one less year, he has one more INT than Vaccaro and played against much better competition, plus he is a better overall athlete in every measurable way.

It cannot be said enough - this is Malcom Jenkins all over again. A pick made by Mel Kiper Jr / Todd McSay / Charlie Carrerly / Mike Mayock and "couch scouts" instead of being made by a smart NFL team. Bad pick for the position in the draft and the player chosen.

And to top it all off, if you watch him walking on stage after being selected, he completely ignores the kid that announced the pick. Completely. Now, maybe its because he was so nervous - he did say his jaw was shaking - but really, do you want a guy who gets that nervous on you team? Either way, nerves or just a jerk, it was poor form."
Kiper had Reid behind a bunch of safeties during the draft, he had Vaccaro first, followed by guys like Elam, Cyprien...etc, he's just trying to save face at this point. Vaccaro has been a huge liability in coverage for the Saints, still won't stop Kiper from sucking his cawk.

Yep, kind of like I thought he is biased as hell based on who he had high on his board. Like I said too I wouldn't pay any attention to Kiper after the draft he probably doesn't watch a lot of NFL film. Him having Geno on that list and that high should have threw out red flags. I don't care if his team is 4-3. Sure he's played well at times but he's played horrible as well. I'll admit the Jets are better than I thought they would be but if you take away the two games against the Patriots the teams they have played have a 10-23 record. I expect them to start to fall back to earth with the Bengals, Saints and Ravens coming up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM ]
Hope this kid keeps up his tremendous play as the season rolls on!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

THIS!
When Reid has a quiet day on the field . . . . its cause the QBs are throwing away from him. Respect.
Kuiper looks like one of the Corleone soldiers in the Godfather. Every time I see him I just want to slap that silly smirk off his face.
Bucking Foss
Not too many second thoughts about Cyprien from PFF:

The same cannot be said for Cyprien and Evans. Cyprien is our lowest-graded safety at -18.6 and has been blowing tackles and coverages week after week, while both have allowed passer ratings of over 140.0 on throws into their coverage.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Not too many second thoughts about Cyprien from PFF:

The same cannot be said for Cyprien and Evans. Cyprien is our lowest-graded safety at -18.6 and has been blowing tackles and coverages week after week, while both have allowed passer ratings of over 140.0 on throws into their coverage.

Bu bu bu but Cyprien is the best player at the position. And you have to take him at 31. Just look at his measurables and proday. (There were so so many zoners clamori ng for this guy, it wasn't even funny)

Blah blah blah, I knew there wasn't much too impressive from him.