There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by HIMYM:
Too much whining on forums. How many whined when Kaep was picked? How about when Kaep couldn't even get a hand off done correctly? Trust the coaches & management. We have one of the best crews. Not all the players are gonna pan out according to the mock ratings. Some of these "great" players are gonna be not so great.
when this regime trades up to get their man,, it usually works out very nicely.. davis,, ck and now this kid.

What's funny is that Davis and CK were billed as "athletes" who lacked consistency. Exactly like Reid.

Add Joe Staley to that list.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
He seems more SS than FS. your post suggested he was more FS than SS.
Harbaugh recruited him out of high school...wanted him BAD
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Too much whining on forums. How many whined when Kaep was picked? How about when Kaep couldn't even get a hand off done correctly? Trust the coaches & management. We have one of the best crews. Not all the players are gonna pan out according to the mock ratings. Some of these "great" players are gonna be not so great.
when this regime trades up to get their man,, it usually works out very nicely.. davis,, ck and now this kid.

What's funny is that Davis and CK were billed as "athletes" who lacked consistency. Exactly like Reid.

Unfortunately this guy looks like a Taylor Mays clone.

Really dude?
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
whitner may be a cap casualty. Depends on where they see Reid playing...SS or FS..

Lol what?!?!? Reid ain't a SS....dude is great at coverge....trust me I. Live in Alabama and have seen this dude many a times...

I disagree personally.

Live in Idaho? Probably don't get a lot of SEC football there....trust me we got a helluva player. And no way he is a SS.

I think he is a liability in coverage. I have seen plenty of him. Where was he when Hopkins ripped the secondary appart?

I think he could be a good SS. And he has all the measurables to show he could be a good cover FS, but IMO right now he is a liability in coverage.
he should have gone to minnesota wasnt eric the reid a viking
Was kind of hoping for L. Sandcastle...
Originally posted by krizay:

He's really a hybrid kind of safety. As a FS he's in the Goldson mold, great hitter, decent in coverage. I think ultimately he could move to SS if the 49ers bring in a true centerfielder type of safety as well.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Draft Phillip Thomas and move Reid to FS and I will be more happy with it.

I think you mean draft Thomas and move Reid to SS... Yes?
If so, I completely agree with you. My take on this pick is that the Niners will play him at SS next year when Whitner's contract expires. Reid could be an absolute stud at SS...

Yes. already corrected the mistake when phoenix called me on it. Brainfart. I think whittner may become a cap casualty who knows.

We think along the same lines. Don't think the 9ers want to have another full year with Whitner as the starter when he was such a liability in coverage last year.

Also, I think the trend (at least in the NFC West) is to get bigger and more physical in the secondary. Just look at what the Seahawks have done in the past couple of years. Reid is much faster and more athletic than Cam Chancellor, who made the Pro Bowl, and he is even faster than Goldson. Plus, Reid has a 40" vertical leap so teams are not going to be able to throw over this guy very easily. With good coaching (which we all know he will have), he could really be good.

After looking at his excellent intangibles (super smart, great work ethic, and competitive), I'm feeling quite a bit better about this pick.

Oh, ok. There's been conflicting reports on him.

Per ESPN:

What he brings: Reid's 2012 film was not quite as good as his 2011 tape, but he came on late in the season and showed how good he can be. He has great size and length, as well as excellent fluidity. He needs to clean up his angles in run support, though his range and closing burst provide him with a lot of upside both in coverage and as a run defender.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

Unfortunately this guy looks like a Taylor Mays clone.

Umm... No
whitner may be a cap casualty. Depends on where they see Reid playing...SS or FS..

Lol what?!?!? Reid ain't a SS....dude is great at coverge....trust me I. Live in Alabama and have seen this dude many a times...

I disagree personally.

Live in Idaho? Probably don't get a lot of SEC football there....trust me we got a helluva player. And no way he is a SS.

I think he is a liability in coverage. I have seen plenty of him. Where was he when Hopkins ripped the secondary appart?

I think he could be a good SS. And he has all the measurables to show he could be a good cover FS, but IMO right now he is a liability in coverage.

Watch the film that kid was torching their CBs and the other safety. Have some faith, f**k people look at where we are now.

OH right now?? before ever playing a down he's a liability in coverage?? LMAO

Thanks for the insider info!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's really a hybrid kind of safety. As a FS he's in the Goldson mold, great hitter, decent in coverage. I think ultimately he could move to SS if the 49ers bring in a true centerfielder type of safety as well.

II see him as a SS, but he is a hybrid as you say. I think he is a bit of a liability in coverage, much like goldson, But with better potential. He got worked pretty good in that bowl game against clemson. Hopkins absolutely ripped that secondary a new one.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Oh, ok. There's been conflicting reports on him.

Per ESPN:

What he brings: Reid's 2012 film was not quite as good as his 2011 tape, but he came on late in the season and showed how good he can be. He has great size and length, as well as excellent fluidity. He needs to clean up his angles in run support, though his range and closing burst provide him with a lot of upside both in coverage and as a run defender.

He's extremely over-aggressive.......that causes him to be out of position and miss some tackles but fortunately, its something that is perfectly coachable. :)