Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by fryet:
Here is my personal comparison between Reid and Goldson:

Covering Receivers: Equal - Goldson was also good in this area imo
Run Support - Goldson
Tackling - Goldson
No Penalties: Reid

It is hard to quantify improved communication, but it does seem like the 49ers pass defense is better, even with limited pass rush. If this keeps up, the 49ers may start to play 8 in the box, trusting their secondary to hold up on the back-end. Goldson is also more of an enforcer than Reid, but with the new rules, that seems to be more of a liability than an asset.

goldson was terrible at covering receivers. he'd always abandon his zone looking for ints/big hits. tackling is skewed towards reid since he actually makes an attempt to wrap up.

Run Support - Goldson
Tackling - Goldson

It is hard to quantify improved communication, but it does seem like the 49ers pass defense is better, even with limited pass rush. If this keeps up, the 49ers may start to play 8 in the box, trusting their secondary to hold up on the back-end. Goldson is also more of an enforcer than Reid, but with the new rules, that seems to be more of a liability than an asset.

Reid is better at everything so far except reputation, but since Da$hon's reputation was greatly exaggerated, Reid might just be better all around. Let's not forget though that Gold$on was a 5th rounder though, and Reid was drafted higher for a reason.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Ed Reed even shook his hand after the game

I miss that. It reminds me of the Ray Lewis-Patrick Willis exchange in 2007, Willis's rookie year. Maybe Reed told Reid he's the one .

Reed passing the torch to Reid. Telling him I'm too old son, it's your turn.
Originally posted by kujon11:

Covering Receivers: Slight nod to Reid
Run Support - Goldson (With Reid not too far behind)
Tackling - Ried

goldson was terrible at covering receivers. he'd always abandon his zone looking for ints/big hits. tackling is skewed towards reid since he actually makes an attempt to wrap up.

Fixed
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
kid is fkn impressive. he makes that pick, I think he takes it to the house. Only Schaub was between him and the endzone.

What an awesome family man. haha
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Donte was always getting burned and then yelling at Goldson. Could it actually be that Goldson really was at fault??? Would be amazing if Reid not only better replaces Goldson, but also makes Whitner a better player too.

goldson was a f**king cowboy doing his own thing.. maybe that was a big reason why they made zero effort to sign him.. this kid is for real , is solid on his fundamentals, a good student of the game and a great team player
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Not a fan of reid. Hope i am wrong.

You are definitely wrong.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:

Run Support - Goldson
Tackling - Goldson

I have to disagree here. Whenever a deep pass was attempted last year, it was always to Whitner's side. I have to assume that mean that Goldson had his guy covered. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Reid and he is a great addition for the 49ers, but Goldson played very well for us, which is why he was selected to a couple of Pro-Bowls.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Donte was always getting burned and then yelling at Goldson. Could it actually be that Goldson really was at fault??? Would be amazing if Reid not only better replaces Goldson, but also makes Whitner a better player too.

goldson was a f**king cowboy doing his own thing.. maybe that was a big reason why they made zero effort to sign him.. this kid is for real , is solid on his fundamentals, a good student of the game and a great team player

Well his style of play did get him paid. It made him an All Pro. He went for the highlight plays. Picks and killshots and he did make our opponents fear him but Reid can potentially be an upgrade without all of the penalties incurred. Glad we got him
We haven't lost a step w/Reid. IMO, He covers WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better.

Potential Pro Bowler for years to come.
I forget when this took place yesterday, but I remember seeing a replay from the game from something that looked sort of like a field-level end zone camera. It showed one of Houston's tight ends crossing over the middle of the field. Then, from the side of the screen, Reid came blazing in, presumably because the tight end was his responsibility, and showed unbelievable burst and acceleration to cover his guy.

I don't think Schaub attempted a pass, and I'm pretty sure Reid was not directly involved in the outcome of the play. But his sheer speed and athleticism constantly impresses me.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Well his style of play did get him paid. It made him an All Pro. He went for the highlight plays. Picks and killshots and he did make our opponents fear him but Reid can potentially be an upgrade without all of the penalties incurred. Glad we got him
agree with your thoughts about our former manI think we will and are finding out that the kid is a better all around player and "team" man. like all good players he just does the little things so very well and is a great student of the game
Reid looks great! Real force out there last night. Couldn't be happier with how he's played for a youngster especially considering how complex the 49ers defense is. LOL at all you haters ripping on Goldson. Reid looks to be on pace to be a better player than Goldson. Congratulations. Doesn't mean Goldson is a bad player. I love how you're all using Reid's success to rip on Goldson. Just a bunch of haters desperately trying justify their opinions and stating them as though they're facts. Say what you want. Goldson is still an excellent player. I see no reason to continue to rip on the guy especially when half of those ripping on him don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Reid looks great! Real force out there last night. Couldn't be happier with how he's played for a youngster especially considering how complex the 49ers defense is. LOL at all you haters ripping on Goldson. Reid looks to be on pace to be a better player than Goldson. Congratulations. Doesn't mean Goldson is a bad player. I love how you're all using Reid's success to rip on Goldson. Just a bunch of haters desperately trying justify their opinions and stating them as though they're facts. Say what you want. Goldson is still an excellent player. I see no reason to continue to rip on the guy especially when half of those ripping on him don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

You want to debate what has been posted?
Have at it.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

My main problem with Da$hon is his stupid f**kin penalties that he would commit on third downs. He wasn't very bright either, got fooled frequently in coverage. He's no longer a niner because he was greedy...so f**k him. I hope he has fun getting paid to play on a s**t team. I always thought he'd be a better strong safety than a free safety. Also, for the record, Reid was better coming out of college, so it is not an insult to say he is better than Gold$on, because he is. There is a reason Gold$on went in the late rounds and Reid went in the first.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM ]