There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
SO much better than Goldson, and half the price.

Glad we didn't land Ed Reed as well. His body is just breaking down.


Maybe we DID.

Maybe we did...
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Straight up stud muffin, LSU has been producing some studs lately. Pat Pete, Honey B, Reid, and it seems like the light has finally came on for Mo. Clai today.

Mingo is looking pretty good so far too. Brockers is also pretty good.
Originally posted by westcoast9ers:
I know it's soon but I know my fellow zoners are the best! So I was wondering if anyone has a picture or gif of reid holding foster on the whitner strip?

Here is the video. Good close up reply at 52 seconds... they show it a few times:

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Safety-Donte-Whitner-Forces-Fumble/a5f86e78-5160-41b3-bd65-a00824f2217b
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
SO much better than Goldson, and half the price.

Glad we didn't land Ed Reed as well. His body is just breaking down.

Great point there. Not only did we make the right choice not giving Goldson 40.5 million dollars we also made the right choice not signing Woodson or especially Reed who like you said seems to be shot.

As for half the price... Goldson 5 years 40.5 mil.... Reid 4 years, 8.398. Try almost 1/5th of the price!!!!
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Great point there. Not only did we make the right choice not giving Goldson 40.5 million dollars we also made the right choice not signing Woodson or especially Reed who like you said seems to be shot.

As for half the price... Goldson 5 years 40.5 mil.... Reid 4 years, 8.398. Try almost 1/5th of the price!!!!

Donte was always getting burned and then yelling at Goldson. Could it actually be that Goldson really was at fault??? Would be amazing if Reid not only better replaces Goldson, but also makes Whitner a better player too.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Donte was always getting burned and then yelling at Goldson. Could it actually be that Goldson really was at fault??? Would be amazing if Reid not only better replaces Goldson, but also makes Whitner a better player too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goldson was out of place a lot since Whitner is very detail oriented and if you listen to him during interviews seems very knowledgeable about the game. Glad Whitner is playing more like his 2011 version and not 2012. Some of it could be better communication but also Whitner seems to have improved coverage too. Maybe he lost a few pounds and got quicker. He was pretty bad in 2012; gave up a lot of TDs. Maybe some of that was Goldson but Whitner gave up plenty of 1 on 1 tds. I'm glad they didnt go with 2 rookie safeties. Whitner has helped Reid a ton and he wouldn't be the player he is now without him. Just going to be interesting how Whitner plays the rest of the year and if we attempt to re-sign him back. Not sure we can afford him though. At least if we bring in a rookie SS Reid can teach him what Whitner taught him. We will probably have a vet in Dahl to help out too. Donatell is a great DB coach too.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,025
Reid is playing well.

He hardly seems like a rookie.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Ed Reed even shook his hand after the game

I miss that. It reminds me of the Ray Lewis-Patrick Willis exchange in 2007, Willis's rookie year. Maybe Reed told Reid he's the one .
How many fines and personal fouls didi Goldosn collect this year? A lot, and he'll get suspended on the next one. Reid is doing a great job, no body is mentioning Goldson's name anymore as a loss, instead they arwe mentioning how good of a job Reid has been doing. He is able to lay down the wood as Goldson did just without the late hits and personal fouls.

I am very impressed by the way Reid plays, good pick by Baalke.
kid is fkn impressive. he makes that pick, I think he takes it to the house. Only Schaub was between him and the endzone.

Even our favorite announcer Collinsworth said it best.....Whitner prefers playing with Reid because Reid talks to him on the field during the game, unlike Goldson who tries to knock an opponent's head off every single play.
.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM ]
I only wished he changed his number to 31 it seem like it would fit him better , his college number was #1
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,895
Here is my personal comparison between Reid and Goldson:

Covering Receivers: Equal - Goldson was also good in this area imo
Run Support - Goldson
Tackling - Goldson
No Penalties: Reid

It is hard to quantify improved communication, but it does seem like the 49ers pass defense is better, even with limited pass rush. If this keeps up, the 49ers may start to play 8 in the box, trusting their secondary to hold up on the back-end. Goldson is also more of an enforcer than Reid, but with the new rules, that seems to be more of a liability than an asset.
Originally posted by fryet:
Here is my personal comparison between Reid and Goldson:

Covering Receivers: Equal - Goldson was also good in this area imo
Run Support - Goldson
Tackling - Goldson
No Penalties: Reid

It is hard to quantify improved communication, but it does seem like the 49ers pass defense is better, even with limited pass rush. If this keeps up, the 49ers may start to play 8 in the box, trusting their secondary to hold up on the back-end. Goldson is also more of an enforcer than Reid, but with the new rules, that seems to be more of a liability than an asset.

I would give coverage and tackling to Reid.
Goldson goes for the big hit, we've seen him whiff many times. His coverage was never that great, decent.
Reid wraps up very well. His coverage has been pretty decent as well. So far no big wtf? Coverage breakdowns.
Of course, this is only several games into the season.

Reid is very impressive. Wouldn't guess he is a rookie,