There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Seemed like they were afraid to even test him. I didn't notice any throws his way.

Kid is going to have a HUGE game sooner or later.

A good sign for a rookie defensive-back!

I was almost sure Aaron Rodgers would test him in week 1, but 4 weeks into the season and I've yet to see anyone try him.
15. Kenny Vaccaro, S, New Orleans Saints Grade: -3.1 Snaps: 175
Analysis: The grade is perhaps harsher than it appears. Vaccaro has brought some playmaking and athleticism to the Saints secondary, but he's failed when used as a pass rusher (no pressure on 11 rushes) and earned slight negatives against the run and in coverage. Do his big plays make up for this?

18. Eric Reid, S, San Francisco 49ers Grade: +0.4 Snaps: 168
Analysis: You can't like the five missed tackles but with two picks and a pass break up he's proved an ample replacement for Dashon Goldson. Now it's up to him to prove he can be more than that.

32. Matt Elam, S, Baltimore Ravens Grade: 0.0 Snaps: 146
Analysis: The struggles of Michael Huff saw Elam promoted into the starting lineup quicker than most expected. He's been outshone by the excellence of James Ihedigbo but has performed in a solid manner so far.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/25/first-rounders-in-focus-week-3/

This is a week 3 grade, but it's arguable that Reid has been the best safety from this draft (so far).
Loving the pick. But I get worried his big hits will expose his glass bones.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:

wut?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:

wut?

serious wtf are you talkin about? He had a quad injury his sophomore year other than that I have no idea what you are sayin
Reid is the next generation safety... With all the rules favoring WRs, a big hitter can sometimes be a detriment. Guys like Reid who are more ball hawks than big hitters will be penalized less and make more big plays. The downside is there won't be the intimidation factor, but I think it was an astute move by Baalke to go toward the playmaker S as opposed to the enforcer type.
Loving watch this kid out there. He is solid all the way around & has speed to burn!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Reid is the next generation safety... With all the rules favoring WRs, a big hitter can sometimes be a detriment. Guys like Reid who are more ball hawks than big hitters will be penalized less and make more big plays. The downside is there won't be the intimidation factor, but I think it was an astute move by Baalke to go toward the playmaker S as opposed to the enforcer type.

Exactly. And I think drafting Reid was a great way to take advantage of our veteran backfield. Shoring up his experience early with the veterans is going to make sure he is a leader back their years down the road, especially when Rogers/Brown/Whitner leave.

Not sure what you mean. So far Reid has arguably been our biggest hitter on defense. Nearly every time he's involved in a tackle he flies in and crushes. He's like a Dashon Goldson who doesn't screw the team with stupid personal fouls.
Originally posted by Disp:

Not sure what you mean. So far Reid has arguably been our biggest hitter on defense. Nearly every time he's involved in a tackle he flies in and crushes. He's like a Dashon Goldson who doesn't screw the team with stupid personal fouls.

From what I've seen, Reid takes good angles, sometimes erring on the side of caution. He's the anti-Goldson. He doesn't come in like a wrecking crew like Goldson does. What I'm saying is that this can be beneficial given the new rules. It not that he's soft, although he's more linear and lanky than Goldson.
He has such great closing speed. I'm on board with him being droy. Especially when Aldon comes back. there will be a lot more gift interceptions.

I actually think the guy hits pretty damn hard.
I wasnt thrilled with the pick at draft time, But im really loving this id right now. Only gonna get better.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I actually think the guy hits pretty damn hard.

He is a solid hitter i agree, but he is not on goldson level as far as reckless abandon is concerned. He will be the better more rounded safety long term though.
15. Kenny Vaccaro, S, New Orleans Saints Grade: -3.1 Snaps: 175
Analysis: The grade is perhaps harsher than it appears. Vaccaro has brought some playmaking and athleticism to the Saints secondary, but he's failed when used as a pass rusher (no pressure on 11 rushes) and earned slight negatives against the run and in coverage. Do his big plays make up for this?

18. Eric Reid, S, San Francisco 49ers Grade: +0.4 Snaps: 168
Analysis: You can't like the five missed tackles but with two picks and a pass break up he's proved an ample replacement for Dashon Goldson. Now it's up to him to prove he can be more than that.

32. Matt Elam, S, Baltimore Ravens Grade: 0.0 Snaps: 146
Analysis: The struggles of Michael Huff saw Elam promoted into the starting lineup quicker than most expected. He's been outshone by the excellence of James Ihedigbo but has performed in a solid manner so far.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/25/first-rounders-in-focus-week-3/

This is a week 3 grade, but it's arguable that Reid has been the best safety from this draft (so far).

Maybe I am a homer, but it seems like they are just basing this on stats and have not watched him play.

He hits like a freight train, has been very good (great for a rookie) in coverage over the top and plays the run like a maniac!

A couple of those missed tackles were at or with in five yards of the line of scrimmage, attacking to fast and missing the shoe lase tackles.

So far he has made it so that we are not even missing our former pro bowl FS... enough said right there.

Super excited to see this kid get EVEN BETTER!