There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Seemed like they were afraid to even test him. I didn't notice any throws his way.

Kid is going to have a HUGE game sooner or later.
too much hype too early....lets wait for a full season
one play he got lucky where Bradford missed a wide open touchdown
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Yeah not sure who's responsibility that player (pettis?) was. Seemed like Brock and Rogers both went to guy in flats but think it was originally Brock's guy. Not sure if since Brock's guy went to the flat where Rogers was if Rogers was taking him and passing his guy off to Brock. Then again could have been Reid who was suppose to pick up the guy. Either way if it's a good throw (part of it he was under pressure) it's a TD.

Also, reason we don't get beat deep often at all is our S usually play off the ball further than any other team. We let the DL/LB take care of the run game and SS usually sits like 10-15 back or so Reid I have seen like 20 or more back. CB's usually give cushion too. We like to keep everything in front of us and make the teams slowly work their way down the field. Make them earn it, we figure eventually they will have penalty, turnover, not be able to pick up a first or make a mistake that kills the drive. We'd rather make them score on 7-8 plays than 1 bomb where our s bite up for the run and they go over the top for easy catch and run for 6.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM ]

Rewatch the play, Brock missed his coverage. It's called bracket coverage, Reid had the inside(of the goal post) and brock had outside coverage. Brock gets confused and follow his receiver into the flat where there is already coverage and at the end on the play Whitner runs over and yells at Brock for f*cking up the coverage.
Reid is the real deal, he will only get better. Not to mention he is a special teams stud too.
Eric Reid.....DROY?

I think so.

where is the hype?

if your safety is lacking, they will test you.

rogers didn't test him on their double moves..

wilson tested him deep and reid ended up running a better route than the wr and getting an interception.

the colts didn't test him deep.

rams couldn't

if you notice there is a clear difference in their attacks. if its deep, its not to his area and usually either 1 on 1 or whitner side.
not to him anymore. doesn't mean he can't be beaten it just means for now his mind is right and he is in the right position over the top which takes away those throws.

dashon is the type to roam, and it worked well for him but he roamed and sometimes relied on his makeup speed to recover from being out of position. reid isn't out of position so far so he doesn't even have to rely on anything other than technique and instinct so far...

better believe if there was a weakness so far, the qb's he's faced... wilson, then luck and now bradford... would have tried something.

1st 2 games of the season the rams were throwing bombs..

last 2 not so much.

it's also helped our secondary. bradford is the first to throw for 200 yards on us since week 1 i don't think we've had a 100 yard wr since week 1. our run defense has been great sans 4th quarters but we know why that was so.....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Too much hype, he had no hype going into the season. All Eric Reid do was produce and hes doing it like a veteran. I never seen a rookie DB on the 49ers do this good since Shawntae Spencer.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Eric Reid.....DROY?

I think so.

He wont get the stats. Teams arent going to throw at him, so that takes down his INT numbers. We rarely blitz safeties, so he wont have any sack numbers. Hes looking like DROY, but the media likes numbers, it will be someone with 8+ sacks. Just how the awards work, like MVP always going to a QB.

On a different note, where are all the posters that were here on draft day calling Baalke an idiot for trading up to get Reid? Probably hanging out with the guys that thought Aldon was a wasted pick.

I love this board. lol
Definitely an upgrade over Da$hon "personal foul" Gold$on. Smarter, faster and more disciplined.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's awesome on special teams too. Excellent speed and great tackling ability. What is not to like about him?
On one of the 49ers' punts, he showed great closing speed to wrap-up Tavon Austin for a stop. That takes a lot of speed, because Austin has incredible quickness and acceleration.
Originally posted by theduke85:
He's awesome on special teams too. Excellent speed and great tackling ability. What is not to like about him?
On one of the 49ers' punts, he showed great closing speed to wrap-up Tavon Austin for a stop. That takes a lot of speed, because Austin has incredible quickness and acceleration.

Though Austin seemed hesitant last night. He paused before running on a couple of those returns.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by theduke85:

Though Austin seemed hesitant last night. He paused before running on a couple of those returns.
He got a reality check last night. That's for sure
Originally posted by 5280High:

Rewatch the play, Brock missed his coverage. It's called bracket coverage, Reid had the inside(of the goal post) and brock had outside coverage. Brock gets confused and follow his receiver into the flat where there is already coverage and at the end on the play Whitner runs over and yells at Brock for f*cking up the coverage.

Bingo. No offense to the original poster, but it irks me when fans assume a player messed up despite not knowing the specific scheme for that specific play.

The niners do A LOT of bracket coverages.
Sep 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

ginseng1000VeteranPosts: 860 too much hype too early....lets wait for a full season one play he got lucky where Bradford missed a wide open touchdown

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/172847-welcome-newest-49er-eric-reid/page102/#vZ8r2HFg0eB6L5ET.99

I don't think it was too much hype at all. So many were skeptical hen we let Goldson go and the handwringing that we'd have a major drop-off in play. IMO, so far it's the opposite. Reid is making interceptions, making quality tackles and laying the wood on occasion. He played Austin like a fiddle.

I way prefer that than Goldson's stupid penalties. Reid has only 4 NFL starts and he's playing like a seasoned vet. No Hype!

But to your point, he'd still a rookie and will make mistakes. However, the upside is "Hype-Worthy"