There are 384 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Newest 49er S Eric Reid

Originally posted by valrod33:
Alex passed his tests but showed symptoms the day before the game, thats why he was held out

The 49ers have the strictest concussion protocol in the league. If the guy behind you is better you get a permanent concussion. lol
It's pretty amazing the impact Reid has made as a rookie. I wonder what's his ceiling..
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
What is the injury know as a concussion?

• An injury to the brain that occurs when a forceful motion of the head results in the alteration of mental status; such as confusion and memory loss pre or post the injury. (Reid did not recall the play leading to his concussion).
  • Loss of consciousness doesn't have to occur to make the injury a concussion.
  • Only 10% of concussions will have any loss of consciousness.
  • This instant transfer of kinetic energy and the trauma it causes result in physiologic dysfunction that induces neuro-metabolic changes
  • Metabolic changes cause the brain to spend all the available glucose on repair and that reduces the brain's overall ability to function.
  • These changes in metabolic function and the areas of the brain it happens in are the reason for the type of symptoms concussions produce.

http://www.lifequalityusa.org/brain-trauma-facts/what-is-a-concussion/

When you get knocked out you lose your short term memory. So that's what happened to Reid.
By definition, any concussive "injury" to the head is a "concussion". It's a very vague term and it's not well understood in medicine.

My point is, I don't think the act of losing consciousness, has any obvious correlation to the severity of the "concussion". It's pretty easy to get knocked out. It doesn't take a lot of force, it just requires the right angle of force.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
When you get knocked out you lose your short term memory. So that's what happened to Reid.
By definition, any concussive "injury" to the head is a "concussion". It's a very vague term and it's not well understood in medicine.

My point is, I don't think the act of losing consciousness, has any obvious correlation to the severity of the "concussion". It's pretty easy to get knocked out. It doesn't take a lot of force, it just requires the right angle of force.

Not arguing the point, just thought it would be nice to have a definition. You can have greater trauma from whiplash than being hit. The brain just has to bang against the inside of the skull enough to create damage...doesn't take much sometimes. Good parenting classes teach about the damage possible when a parent cuffs a child on the noggin.
Not arguing the point, just thought it would be nice to have a definition. You can have greater trauma from whiplash than being hit. The brain just has to bang against the inside of the skull enough to create damage...doesn't take much sometimes. Good parenting classes teach about the damage possible when a parent cuffs a child on the noggin.

Yes, and NEVER NEVER NEVER shake the baby.....such as when they wont stop crying.....EVER.........
Did he play against the rams? I don't remember seeing him and He's quickly becoming my favorite niner :-)
You're right I didn't notice him except on special teams. He played and must have done a good job. When Bradford went deep it was to Whitner's side. Never had to come up for run support. I suppose that means he held down his half of the field.
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM ]
Originally posted by westcoast9ers:
Did he play against the rams? I don't remember seeing him and He's quickly becoming my favorite niner :-)

that's because he didn't make any mistakes

and he was always where he was supposed to be.

the tape is out on reid already. he is disciplined. and is athletically superior to most on the field.

teams don't even attempt to go deep to his side because he has it covered. it's simple as that.

enjoy his play to the fullest
Originally posted by scottym:

Yes, and NEVER NEVER NEVER shake the baby.....such as when they wont stop crying.....EVER.........

Originally posted by westcoast9ers:

Yes, he had terrible coverage on Austin Pettis on that pass that Bradford missed but besides that he played well
Originally posted by thl408:
You're right I didn't notice him except on special teams. He played and must have done a good job. When Bradford went deep it was to Whitner's side. Never had to come up for run support. I suppose that means he held down his half of the field.

Whitner cod possibly be our downfall. On a positive note, I think there is a QB in the league that checks down more than Alex Smith. Bradford was so much better when there was a running game and a semi decent defense. Avg QB gets exposed.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM ]
Quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. He already makes an impact and performs at high level in only his first few games in his rookie year. Imagine how good he'll be with more experience and polishing !

We gotta good one
He's awesome on special teams too. Excellent speed and great tackling ability. What is not to like about him?
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. He already makes an impact and performs at high level in only his first few games in his rookie year. Imagine how good he'll be with more experience and polishing !

We gotta good one

This. Less mistakes than you would expect from a rookie, and very level headed intelligent play. A future leader in the backfield IMO.
And he held up vs Aaron Rodgers week 1