LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Didn't say he sucks, but he has s**tty hands. It's no big deal... T.O. had s**t hands, too... ended up being an unbelievable player.

Yup, I caught that as I pressed the button.... I know that's not what you meant. TBH though, I haven't seen enough in his NFL career to even say he completely sucks. He may drop one too many for some of us, but his tenure and time on field doesn't really give much to make a fair statement (good or bad).

I wasn't in love with the pick, but then again, I wasn't against it. I hate wasted picks, doe... I'm hoping he can be (at least) almost as good as TO.
Didn't say he sucks, but he has s**tty hands. It's no big deal... T.O. had s**t hands, too... ended up being an unbelievable player.

True. Vance might always be a player with inconsistent hands, and I'm OK with that as long as his contributions outweigh the negatives. He's still a potential size/speed mismatch and we should make a little more of an effort to get him the ball.
Personally, I loved the Vance pick. I had no idea who he was until I saw the East/West Shrine Bowl practices and developed a man-crush for him. His drops are due to a lack of concentration or maybe nerves... he doesn't have those robotic, stiff hands a la Vernon Davis and T.O... when he does catch the ball, he looks smooth.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Does anyone have Vids of him as a Niner

Maybe a lowlight video of him dropping passes, that's about all you're gonna find.

Actually his highlight video shows we need to get the ball more often

can be said about anyones highlight video, after all it is just the highlights.

Well you have to consider how many target and how many catch attempts and he has done pretty good

he has done decent. 19 targets and less than half the time its completed to him. thats not all his fault, but you expect more from a 2nd rounder just in terms of catching more than half the passes thrown your way.

He had only three drops

either he is incredibly plagued or something. i quickly checked all te's who had over 100 rec yards last season and he was the only one with a below 50% catch rate on his targets. 3 drops on 19 targets is a lot when you take away the ones that werent catchable because of bad throws or tipped/deflected balls. if one of every 5 or so passes your way is dropped thats a bad thing.

Hmm I remember Jerry Rice couldn't catch as a rookie. If we give into VD will never have to worry about him being the starter anyways.
We need to get the video of big Vance trucking Sherman and make it go viral. He totally runs right over him.....ahhh...awesome.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Hmm I remember Jerry Rice couldn't catch as a rookie.

You don't think that's exaggerating a bit? He caught 49 balls as a rook. And Joe was hurt when Rice was just getting started.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

You don't think that's exaggerating a bit? He caught 49 balls as a rook. And Joe was hurt when Rice was just getting started.

He ended up with a decent first season, but if you remember, he had a bad case of the dropsies for a while. I was at a game where the crowd booed him when he dropped a bomb from Montana.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:

He ended up with a decent first season, but if you remember, he had a bad case of the dropsies for a while. I was at a game where the crowd booed him when he dropped a bomb from Montana.
he struggled for about 5 games and then he turned it on and became what i thought willie mcgee was going to be for us
Originally posted by cciowa:
he struggled for about 5 games and then he turned it on and became what i thought willie mcgee was going to be for us

Exactly. He was just a small-town kid with a case of the nerves but he worked his way though it. I don't think that has been Vance McDonald's problem. I think McDonald was concentrating on becoming a TE which means you have to block NFL defenders - that can't be easy to do.
Jerry had great pass catching fundamsntals from day one. Dropping a ball here or there didnt matter so much. Great adjustments nevsr passive recieving the ball. He was always like that.

Jerry dropped a lot of balls as a rook tho. I remember one wide open TD for like 50 yds... dropped. The media started to think Walsh was an idiot for trading up in the 1st for this kid
Originally posted by crake49:

I'll take your word for it; I was just a little tike back then.

As far as McDonald focusing on blocking goes, he was phenomenal at blocking for a rookie TE IMO. That was his saving grace. And that's surprising because he was known as a receiving TE / WR in college. I think he just needs to calm down & get used to the speed of the game, and the drops shouldn't be as bad. Or at least I hope that's the case.

The good news is that he seems pretty good at getting open.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM ]
I'll take your word for it; I was just a little tike back then.

As far as McDonald focusing on blocking goes, he was phenomenal at blocking for a rookie TE IMO. That was his saving grace. And that's surprising because he was known as a receiving TE / WR in college. I think he just needs to calm down & get used to the speed of the game, and the drops shouldn't be as bad. Or at least I hope that's the case.

The good news is that he seems pretty good at getting open.

That's exactly the way I see it. We hear this every year from almost every position. They are almost always shocked by the speed of the game. It's easy to understand the situation. Everyone they face and everyone they play with was probably the fastest guy on the field for his position at the last level.
Coach knows his talent and when he passed on Fleener and then picked Vance, I was shocked. He knows something we don't. Besides, vance DID have a great yr blocking. I guess that is the JH rite of passage. No passes until you learn to block at RB or TE. Miller, Vernon, FRank, all learned to block before they got passes. Vern was targeted early but he had a lot of just hard blocking games too. Man I wish he would just get this behind him, and sign.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM ]
  • ethan
  • Veteran
McDonald is a very impressive athlete for a 270 pounder. He is almost built like a fullback, from a blocking point of view, but has 4.6 speed and freakishly long arms. He seems like he could be used in a few different roles in the offense. A college wide receiver with a fullback build. Kind of a jacked up version of Delanie Walker coming out of college.
Share 49ersWebzone