There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

It seems to me he had a lot of receptions in college and was used all over the place, but the question was consistency because he'd have drops. But coming in, wasn't he thought of as mainly a pass-catcher and the area he worked on last year was blocking? At least that's the way I remember it, but I'm not sure.
  • ethan
Originally posted by crake49:
It seems to me he had a lot of receptions in college and was used all over the place, but the question was consistency because he'd have drops. But coming in, wasn't he thought of as mainly a pass-catcher and the area he worked on last year was blocking? At least that's the way I remember it, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, he was more a wide receiver in college. Drafted as a tight end because of his size, obviously. But with 34+" arms, and 10+" hands, along with 4.6 speed, he could be a force as a receiver. Kaepernick rifles his passes, maybe that is part of the problem. Kap has been sub 60% completion rate in college and NFL so far, and likes to show off his arm.

You are correct sir. V-Mac was mostly a slot receiver/TE hybrid in college a la Jimmy Graham.
Originally posted by ethan:
Yeah, he was more a wide receiver in college. Drafted as a tight end because of his size, obviously. But with 34+" arms, and 10+" hands, along with 4.6 speed, he could be a force as a receiver. Kaepernick rifles his passes, maybe that is part of the problem. Kap has been sub 60% completion rate in college and NFL so far, and likes to show off his arm.

I think that's a stretch. Kaepernick couldn't have been more accurate with McDonald in the clutch during that Panthers game if he had run down the field and handed McDonald the ball. That was just a great play by the linebacker to knock it out of his hands. Kaepernick's completion percentage went up every year at Nevada to the point where he was 64.9% during his senior year. And this "he likes to show off his arm" stuff is amusing to me. They used to brag about the "Elway cross" and then, the "Rodgers cross." Brett Farvre used to be legendary for throwing hardballs in practice and it was a point of honor for the receivers to snag them. But some people around here will take exactly the same trait that people like Elway, Rodgers and Farvre were praised for and try to make it into a negative where Kaepernick is concerned. Nice try.

this is it right there. i really hope he isnt that guy who drops them but its just something to monitor going forward. i'm rooting for the guy.
Does anyone have Vids of him as a Niner
Originally posted by Constantine:

Maybe a lowlight video of him dropping passes, that's about all you're gonna find.
2. Vance McDonald — Didn't drop a single pass.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/ota-notes-good-kap-bad-kap/
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
You may Ad Vance to McDonald to receive your super-sized Happy Meal

Yeah look back in this thread about 15 pages ago. Someone made a youtube vid.
  • ethan
I think that's a stretch. Kaepernick couldn't have been more accurate with McDonald in the clutch during that Panthers game if he had run down the field and handed McDonald the ball. That was just a great play by the linebacker to knock it out of his hands. Kaepernick's completion percentage went up every year at Nevada to the point where he was 64.9% during his senior year. And this "he likes to show off his arm" stuff is amusing to me. They used to brag about the "Elway cross" and then, the "Rodgers cross." Brett Farvre used to be legendary for throwing hardballs in practice and it was a point of honor for the receivers to snag them. But some people around here will take exactly the same trait that people like Elway, Rodgers and Farvre were praised for and try to make it into a negative where Kaepernick is concerned. Nice try.

You're being way too sensitive. Wasn't meant as a crack at Kaepernick. He has a reputation for throwing the ball hard. A few of the new receivers have remarked on it. That probably takes getting used to and therefore COULD BE A FACTOR in McDonald's drops. Is all.
  • ethan
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Seriously that guy had hands of stone. People have short memories around here...

OHhhhh i sure miss Alex Smith.. .he was the best!

Walker only caught 2 passes his rookie season, so Vance is well ahead of him already..
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
At times, Vance has great hands, stone hands and probably fragile hands
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

Maybe a lowlight video of him dropping passes, that's about all you're gonna find.

Actually his highlight video shows we need to get the ball more often
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

Actually his highlight video shows we need to get the ball more often

can be said about anyones highlight video, after all it is just the highlights.