There are 215 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Expecting big things from Vance this season.

With all the blocking he did last year I think he has that part down. Now he needs to build on that foundation and add another dimension to the attack.

If he becomes a reliable option in passing, it only gives Crabs and co more opportunities one on one.
Just watched his interview on CSN Bay Area...one of the silver linings with Vernon staying away so far is VMac's getting some excellent coaching from Mangini. I'm expecting big things from VMac...he's huge, can run and he & Vernon could be one of the best TE tandems in the league this year. Dude has all the makings of a eal baller.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Just watched his interview on CSN Bay Area...one of the silver linings with Vernon staying away so far is VMac's getting some excellent coaching from Mangini. I'm expecting big things from VMac...he's huge, can run and he & Vernon could be one of the best TE tandems in the league this year. Dude has all the makings of a eal baller.

He can be unstoppable in a traditional WCO TE scheme (finding the soft zones/holes in the defense - catch, turn and get up field) and esp. if we dial him up as a primary receiver early and often in games. I know the coaches said they plan to now incorporate him into the passing game which was already his strength coming in so the coaches developed his blocking game all last year (and b/c that's our forte). I wouldn't be surprised if Davis is holding out and taking one for the team and his contract concerns are bogus in an effort to get McDonald 100% of the snaps in pre season. I swear we go through this every year and then at the end of pre season, everything just seems to "work itself out."
I met Vance earlier today at my job (Best Buy). Talked to him for a few minutes about the team, new stadium, and of course the play when he trucked Sherman.

His response to that was "oh yeah, that was awesome".

I'm 6'4" but I felt dwarfed standing next to him in person. He was really cool to talk to!
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I met Vance earlier today at my job (Best Buy). Talked to him for a few minutes about the team, new stadium, and of course the play when he trucked Sherman.

I'm 6'4" but I felt dwarfed standing next to him in person. He was really cool to talk to!

I bet he wishes he could truck sherman every play (including when we aren't playing the Seahawks)

I sure wish he could
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:

That's freakin awesome! I can't wait to see him in action this year
Vance "BIG DROP" McDonald
Very disappointed in Vance last year, I thought he was going to have some big moments for us especially with our beat up WR core.

I hope he can step it up this year. I think TE especially in the Niner System is really difficult to learn with all of the motioning, knowing the line calls, and being a receiver. I'm a little concerned on his hands as well. I'm hoping his brain was just overloaded last year which he admitted in an interview.

For being as big of a guy he is, he's quick and has great size. He can be a nice security blanket for Colin.

Millard is a great that I want to see, but will have to wait until next year.
Speaking of TE's I wonder if Delanie misses the 49ers?

Even Vance get improve his receiving he really has a chance to be a great swiss army knife for Roman. Even though I don't think the 49ers used Delaine enough.
Personally I'd rather see 3wr sets more often than 2te sets only because of the recievers we have, not because I don't like Vance
I think that last year Vance was often playing not to screw up because the game was so fast for him as a rookie (knowing his blocking schemes and such on each play weren't second nature to him yet). Because he didn't want to screw up, I think sometimes he over thought things - which ironically made him screw up like dropping some "easy" passes. I also think he will make nice strides this year, but he may not get that many more opportunities to catch the ball with so much talent at WR and with Vernon, so his stat line may not go up a whole lot. If Kap comes to trust him more to catch the ball then I see him having a year roughly along the lines of what Bruce Miller had last year in terms of receptions and yards (maybe more yards).
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Speaking of TE's I wonder if Delanie misses the 49ers?

Even Vance get improve his receiving he really has a chance to be a great swiss army knife for Roman. Even though I don't think the 49ers used Delaine enough.

IDK about Walker missing the 9ers but the 9ers sure miss Walker.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
IDK about Walker missing the 9ers but the 9ers sure miss Walker.

Yep, he could drop passes with the best of them
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the kid should be better this year than what he was last year and thats all you can hope for
Third TE @ best.