LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Stinker.

Nothing against Vance, but we need more beef on the DLine. Had various options on the board at the time....ignored them all for maybe a #2-#4 tight end?

Whuuuut?

A Baalke bobble. Even if he does work out, we have some serious fixin to do on D.
this was a need. i am sure they will get another defensive lineman down the road. we have taken major major strides with the defense in the first two rounds. this was a need and the pick was good. good hands, size, good runner after the catch and will only get better in regards to blocking.

I'm rooting for the kid but to me he doesnt compare favorably to Ertz, Eifert or Kelce .. I believe all 3 of them are better ..
[ Edited by hubbyt on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
jordan reed was a better fit or the te from stanford

Jordan Reed weighs 236 lbs. That is way too light for a TE in the NFL these days. Ertz is a little heavier but more of a receiving TE than a stud blocker. McDonald may not have all of the blocking techniques down yet but a year from now, that guy is gonna be a stud. Just watch.
His measurables are off the charts. Lets just hope he can play football too.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
His is NOT a backup TE for Vernon Davis. If that is what you are thinking, then I would agree with you.
He will be used almost like an H-back, catching lots of short passes and WR screens. He lowers his shoulder and slams through DB's. He will have to be accounted for not as a backup, but as an H-back, with natural size and athleticism.

Man, we have a crap load of interesting weapons on this team.

And what I was saying was I think he will be better at back up to VD than as an H-back. He doesn't get low well, He runs very tall, and I think he does everything a Starting TE should do well outside of using leverage on the line. He seems to excel at stalk blocking and I'm sure with him and Boldin on the edge there will be some very interesting things we can do this year. That is actually scary as far as matching up blocking wise. But you thinking he will be anything in the mold of D.Walker to me is not close to his skill set. I don't believe there is any elusiveness in him. He may outrun some people and run some over. He seems to run spread routes well and for sure will find a soft spot in the zone. But his offense was no where near pro style and I don't see him transitioning well to an H-Back position. I don't see him beating man to man coverage from safeties but probably will easily cause problems against LB's. He may catch contested passes either way. I'll be very happy to eat crow. Maybe they plan to run him in slot more idk. In the end I trust them to find a use for his unique skills but not my preference by a long shot.
Will get more playing time than any other draft pick outside Reid.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Son of Tim McDonald. Former 49er. Watch your tongue

Not quite.

Per KNBR, yes he is. Always been a niner fan

That's what you get for listening to mainstream media

LOL...based on what exactly?

Vance McDonald has outstanding size for the red-zone while Jordan Reed weighs less than some receivers in the draft. McDonald is faster, stronger, a better leaper, has experience playing WR and TE as well. Not sure what magic upside you're seeing in Reed as opposed to McDonald.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Stinker.

Nothing against Vance, but we need more beef on the DLine. Had various options on the board at the time....ignored them all for maybe a #2-#4 tight end?

Whuuuut?

A Baalke bobble. Even if he does work out, we have some serious fixin to do on D.

We have added two players to the defensive line in the offseason.

Now, we have added a second tight end.

There are four rounds to go in the draft and we still have 7 picks. Let's see what happens.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Jordan Reed weighs 236 lbs. That is way too light for a TE in the NFL these days. Ertz is a little heavier but more of a receiving TE than a stud blocker. McDonald may not have all of the blocking techniques down yet but a year from now, that guy is gonna be a stud. Just watch.

He ran a faster 40 time than either Reed or Ertz while outweighing them by 20-30 pounds. Speed and size, a very nice combination.

Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Apparently the Niners FO doesn't agree with you.

Its hilarious how many people make comments like this. I guarantee this guy never saw a Rice football game. I will trust the people that actually did.
This dude is a beast, the only knock on him is his hands, he often double catches balls that would be broken up in the NFL. But in terms of athleticism this was the top TE. Gonna love watching him go after browner and Sherman.
As a replacement for Delanie, this guy looks like a good fit.

When Delanie first got here is couldn't block either, hebecause he was a WR at SW Missouri. He got coached up and became a good blocker. This guy is bigger and just as fast and can't possibly have worse hands then Walker.

Baalke knows more about talent evaluation than anyone posting in this thread.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

How can you say that is way too light when Walker weighed 242 when he was with us, and was 6'0. He was a mismatch because he moved like a WR when going out for routes, very agile. That is how Reed is, looks like a WR. From McDonald's highlights, he runs like a big TE that can move. I don't think he'll be the threat like how Walker was for us, or Aaron Hernandez is for the Pats. He will be a different type of threat....like Owen Daniels, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph.

some keep saying that Vance runs a 4.6...but its actually 4.69..which is basically a 4.7. Now the good thing is McDonald is f**kin huge, and I expect the team to make him lose alittle weight..so I'm sure he will be faster come Preseason.

I'll start a thread when I get a chance, but I think Boldin will be used in certain situations that we used Walker.
When he lines up, looking from the rear, he looks like another OT. Also, if you go to Rice you can't be a dummy. They graduate mostly everybody and all seem to be in the sciences. Bet on it that he is smart. He looks like a really big Delanie, won't be as deft, but will be a great blocker. He is fast so he can get downfield to bloc like delanie. Like they say, the knock is that his catches aren't clean...Clean? I personally don't care if a catch is clean or not. Just matters is he catches it.
Share 49ersWebzone