There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Excellent pass.

Even better D-play by Kuechly, who played it as good as anyone in the NFL!

Not worried at all about Vance.

Hopefully Roman call more balls thrown his way.
I wanna see Vance catch at least 28-33 passes this year ...his blocking will without a doubt continue to improve
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Excellent pass.

Even better D-play by Kuechly, who played it as good as anyone in the NFL!

Not worried at all about Vance.

Hopefully Roman call more balls thrown his way.

I really want to see a lot more of McDonald in the open field. I don't think any defensive back wants to see this dood rumbling towards them with a full head of steam.
I'm rooting for him, but I'm not hopeful. He's stiff and does not catch the ball fluidly. I said this when we drafted him - and you can't coach those attributes. I'd really like to see a natural pass-catching TE on this team, we haven't had that for a long time.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'm rooting for him, but I'm not hopeful. He's stiff and does not catch the ball fluidly. I said this when we drafted him - and you can't coach those attributes. I'd really like to see a natural pass-catching TE on this team, we haven't had that for a long time.

But when he does catch it he makes people pay.

Pretty much how I feel about him. I was excited about the pick at the time and envisioned him being an upgrade to DW, how foolish of me. At the least I expected him to come in and help out our passing attack a little, even if just as a RZ threat but he was pretty much just a glorified O-lineman last season.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Pretty much how I feel about him. I was excited about the pick at the time and envisioned him being an upgrade to DW, how foolish of me. At the least I expected him to come in and help out our passing attack a little, even if just as a RZ threat but he was pretty much just a glorified O-lineman last season.

I think that was by design, more than anything else as admitted by the coaching staff. People have to show patience with guys, he was a TE who came in from a lower level program who had never been an inline blocker, there was a huge learning curve for him. The coaching staff knew that be could run routes already, what they needed for him to do was become a competent blocker and he certainly made some big improvements there.
  • Disp
  • Veteran

I have a feeling that was on purpose. He did have some drops last season, but he was basically a receiver, and less of a blocker in college. They probably wanted to get him up to speed on his blocking since our TE's do so much of it, before really letting him loose as a pass catcher. That's what I'm hoping anyway. Would be awesome to see him step into the Delanie role though of a great blocker that can get 300-500 yards over the season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:

I have a feeling that was on purpose. He did have some drops last season, but he was basically a receiver, and less of a blocker in college. They probably wanted to get him up to speed on his blocking since our TE's do so much of it, before really letting him loose as a pass catcher. That's what I'm hoping anyway. Would be awesome to see him step into the Delanie role though of a great blocker that can get 300-500 yards over the season.
romanexcuses
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

It's odd because the knock on him in college was that he played essentially WR. He didn't block much.
Originally posted by Nuns:

It's odd because the knock on him in college was that he played essentially WR. He didn't block much.

I have to believe his first year was spent learning to block like a tight end. I expect him to better know what he's doing in that area this year and concentrate on getting back to the receiving side of things.

As far as the team not having a "natural pass-catching TE," I'm always amused by this take. You can call V. Davis anything you want. You can criticize his skills all you like. But the fact is that last season, he was #1 among TE's for yards per catch and #2 in TD's.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for MC9BEAT.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
So is this a Vance McDonald thread or an underhanded Kap can't make progression reads thread? Either way there's dedicated threads for both.

It has nothing to do with knocking Kap. He is a terrific talent and will continue to develop. I was simply pointing out that with our offensive system and our QB McDonald hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do and drafting another TE with a 1st or 2nd rd pick would be a waste because any 2nd TE will have trouble seeing the ball coming their way in the passing game.

With the draft approaching there is a lot of talk about drafting another TE early as if McDonald is a bust and a new 2nd TE would make all the difference.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Does it actually matter what positions the media thinks the team should be drafting? It's all gossip until the draft actually goes down.
MacDonald has been a complete dud so far. LaMichael James 2.0?
Originally posted by bzborow1:
MacDonald has been a complete dud so far. LaMichael James 2.0?

I disagree. Did he have a stellar year, no. But he is and will continue to be a valuable asset in the running and passing game. LMJ just takes up a roster spot. Nothing special as a RB, WR, or PR / KR. I highly doubt LMJ makes the roster this year. MacDonald will be in probably 40% of our plays this year.