Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th, so that is understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did.

You mean like Kaepernick did his rookie year? As long as a guy progresses and shows real improvement, that is what I'm most concerned about and McDonald did that. As I mentioned before, TE's take awhile to develop, a guy who was a slot WR from Rice, even moreso. McDonald did fine for what they asked him to do and he'll be the better player for it long term.

That is not a fair comparison. Kap is a QB. That's a much harder position to grasp and develop then a #2 tight end.

But, moving to the NFL is a bit more challenging for some. The fact that Mac made it onto the field is a good sign. Remember, were not too far removed from the 2012 draft. By comparison, Mac has been a success.

Agree. He did make it on the field so that is a good sign. At least he wasn't Jenkins. Although do you think Celek's injury had something to do with McDonald's playing time?

I don't remember.

Well, if McDonald wasn't ready, I'm of the opinion Tukafu(sp) would have been signed to play TE

Haha.

Well, Jenkins wasn't ready and got thrown out there due to injury. We didn't go and sign someone. That's what I was wondering. Whether McDonald's playing time was due to Celek's injury? I'm asking because i don't remember.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM ]
vance is the 2nd most underrated player on our team behind only k hunter. people keep overreacting an sayin ooooo he dropped 2 balls what A BUST! actualy WATCH the plays this guy made in his rookie year thats completely wrong. he barely ever got thrownt he ball and ya he had a coupe drops but when he got it HE RAN OVER DEFENDERS. im sure none of u saw his catch when he plowed thru sherman like he was a piece of paper. hes good at blocking but ever better at runin witht he ball, we cud have used him this year but once again our staff does not use players appropiately he wud have been crucial in seattle. watch him int he GB game at the stick. we need to use him an hunter way more
Originally posted by stefano89:
. im sure none of u saw his catch when he plowed thru sherman like he was a piece of paper.

Oh, I saw it. It's my favorite Vance McDonald moment!
I don't think we've scratched the surface on what he is, or isn't! Hard to take a stance either way on Vance at this point. We can be optimistic because he's shown understanding and improvement in blocking/assignments but really, 2014 is a big year for 89.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Okay, that's just awesome.
McDonald will be fine.

The 49ers tend to take raw but incredibly athletic players with the thought that they can coach them to be great players. McDonald is no different.

We'll see if it pans out, but this season was all about learnigh somehting he didn't do alot of in college...block. He'll be a better player next year.
vance is the 2nd most underrated player on our team behind only k hunter. people keep overreacting an sayin ooooo he dropped 2 balls what A BUST! actualy WATCH the plays this guy made in his rookie year thats completely wrong. he barely ever got thrownt he ball and ya he had a coupe drops but when he got it HE RAN OVER DEFENDERS. im sure none of u saw his catch when he plowed thru sherman like he was a piece of paper. hes good at blocking but ever better at runin witht he ball, we cud have used him this year but once again our staff does not use players appropiately he wud have been crucial in seattle. watch him int he GB game at the stick. we need to use him an hunter way more

This coaching staff wouldn't know what to do with an underneath pass catching tight end if one fell down from heaven and landed on their heads.

Maybe it has.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

This coaching staff wouldn't know what to do with an underneath pass catching tight end if one fell down from heaven and landed on their heads.

Maybe it has.

Why we did not see him catch at least 20 passes in the flat off bootleg rollouts is beyond me.
Sure. Yeah. Sentiments like that.
I hope this guys off season includes a heavy dose of the juggs and getting stronger. We saw some glimpses and I think McDonald can be a stud with dedication.
I think his talent wasn't addressed at all with the play calling.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Decent read. Hopefully he gets targeted a few times a game next year. I still think he can be a huge weapon.

Why do a lot of you guys think he can be a "huge weapon" in the NFL? That's a big statement. What has he shown for us to conclude that? His speed is below average at this level, his hands haven't translated. I just don't get how you can feel that way right now.

He's a rookie, so the idea that his hands haven't "translated" isn't disturbing to me. He had all of 19 passes thrown his way. I don't see how anyone can be certain of what a guy will become, whether its a good player or a bad one, when he's only had 19 passes thrown his way. In college, he was known as more of a receiver, so I'm willing to give it some time so his talent can shine through. The other reason is that because of the way the 49ers use their offensive players, he's one of the many guys would get favorable looks when going out for passes (the other guys being any of our receivers not named Boldin or Crabtree and any running back going out for a pass). So it's on Greg Roman and Colin Kaepernick to ensure that he's a regular part of the rotation.

Here's his draft profile http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/vance-mcdonald?id=2540215. His issues as a blocker are coachable and they have worked on that this season. The issues with the drops are alarming, but hey the guy he is replacing wasn't exactly known for his great hands. How did you come to the conclusion that his speed was below average? If anything, it's above average for a TE and for a guy his size, he can create some serious matchup problems. My use of the words huge weapon is in the same way we used Brent Jones. He kept the chains moving, was good to average 10-11 yards per catch which would be a perfect complement to the big play ability of Vernon Davis. I don't think 20 to 30 receptions next year is an unrealistic expectation given his abilities.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Agree. In college, he was basically a big slot WR masquerading as a TE. His strength is creating mismatches in the middle of the field due to his unusual mobility for a guy his size. I don't care who you are, when you run 200 routes and almost never see a pass thrown to you, it effects your game. If McDonald is going to be on the field that much, he has to be utilized both as a receiver and blocker. You have to make the defense account for every possible pass-catcher.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Agree. In college, he was basically a big slot WR masquerading as a TE. His strength is creating mismatches in the middle of the field due to his unusual mobility for a guy his size. I don't care who you are, when you run 200 routes and almost never see a pass thrown to you, it effects your game. If McDonald is going to be on the field that much, he has to be utilized both as a receiver and blocker. You have to make the defense account for every possible pass-catcher.

Yes, not getting the ball to the TE was extremely poor judgement by Roman, Harbs, and Kap. It's a no-brainer that you get your big TE a few balls to keep the D honest; and also to develop your player. It's usually an easy throw, Steve Young said throwing to the TE is the best way to get the QB confidence and get his throwing rhythm going. Very lame play-calling.